The Religion Of Tomasia-What is this ROT?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2016, 03:55 PM
RE: The Religion Of Tomasia-What is this ROT?
(30-06-2016 03:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's why I tend to keep my advance degrees private, rather than reminding others that it's not appropriate to refer to me as anything less than Dr. Tomasia.
Honestly, I don't tend to refer to any university as being prestigious. It's certainly snobbishness.

But Patriot Bible University isn't even a real university.
I saw Kent Hovind's PHD paper and it was terrible.
I'd certainly be keeping it a big secret if I had a "degree" from there.

I also have problems with people who get all excited about their degrees and insist that others should call them Dr just because they have a Doctorate degree.
Get over yourself already.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2016, 04:10 PM
(30-06-2016 03:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(30-06-2016 03:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's why I tend to keep my advance degrees private, rather than reminding others that it's not appropriate to refer to me as anything less than Dr. Tomasia.
Honestly, I don't tend to refer to any university as being prestigious. It's certainly snobbishness.

I also have problems with people who get all excited about their degrees and insist that others should call them Dr just because they have a Doctorate degree.

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and guess that he's having a laugh at us with this Ph.D. stuff.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
30-06-2016, 04:18 PM
(30-06-2016 03:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-06-2016 03:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You clearly weren't taught the first rules of holes in your advanced education. You do not have a PhD if no one other than the snake oil salesman who fleeced you out of your money recognizes it. You do not have a PhD if it is not from an accredited university. The fact you think you do is even more discrediting. .... First rule of holes, dude.

I understand, when you belong to the elite 1% with PhDs, attested to by multiple accreditation agencies, you're always gonna acquire haters among the 99%.

It's why I tend to keep my advance degrees private, rather than reminding others that it's not appropriate to refer to me as anything less than Dr. Tomasia.

I apologize for whatever envy, and resentment emerges among others, as a result of my admission here. I'm still the same Tomasia/Tomato you've always known.

Will that credential even get you a part time job at a local community college? What kind of ROI did you get on your money? I'm not envious, I am looking to pursue my PhD at the even more prestigious Liberty University. And I think I know how to get you suckers to pay for it while still paying my full salary. $200K/year for 4-5 years on the taxpayers' dime so Bob can be made fully manifest and realize the destruction of the world as foretold by HoC and the Gwynnies. It's well worth it.

#sigh
30-06-2016, 04:20 PM
huh? wut?
30-06-2016, 04:23 PM
(30-06-2016 04:10 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(30-06-2016 03:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Honestly, I don't tend to refer to any university as being prestigious. It's certainly snobbishness.

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and guess that he's having a laugh at us with this Ph.D. stuff.

..... Consider ..... Consider ..... but what if he isn't? Blink Hobo

#sigh
30-06-2016, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2016 04:53 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-06-2016 02:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Which would be news to Bonhoeffer scholars, lol.

And you utterly failed to mention them. Not one.

The point of the quotes, is not that anyone recognized them or not. The POINT was, you say you got a PhD, but provided no references. No REAL PhD would do that.
You're a total fraud Tommy Boy. No pastor would EVER read the quotes I provided in any church. Your head remains firmly up your ass.

http://www.fundamentalbaptistministries....OEFFER.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-06-2016, 04:36 PM
(29-06-2016 08:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-06-2016 05:01 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
Quote:Why share this ROT on an atheist forum? Even if an atheist did suddenly decide to run back to religion, they would probably go back to the conventional brand of Catholicism/Protestantism, not some one-off cultic ROT.

I thought the problem was that I don’t share my religious views, that I tend to deflect question asking for elaboration. So i’m not sure why you’re suggesting otherwise. I’m just a self-identifying Christian, who just so happens to participate in atheists forums, interested in a short list of topics that I engage in here, who finds questions about my religious beliefs in the unrelated topics I engage in, to be a distraction.

[quote]doesn't depend on Jesus' existence. How does this work? Why would you call this ROT Christian if this is the case? Tomasia has stated he doesn't believe in atonement. How does this work? Why would you call this ROT Christian if this is the case?

I believe in atonement, but atonement has a variety of different views, even among christians that are considered a part of the orthodox tradition. If there’s a particular one I’d align myself with, it would be Rene Girard’s Scapegoating view. And Girard is a respected Catholic thinker, I doubt many catholics would want to label him an apostate.

I believe Jesus existed, just like most other Christians. Some christians might say that they would no longer be Christians if Jesus did not exist as a historical person, I wouldn’t, though I think the view that Jesus didn’t exist is absurd. If it worked for the supposed earlier form of Christianity, or Paul, as mythicist suggest, I’m not sure why it couldn’t work for me.

The question in regards to historicity, here wouldn’t really about apostasy because that would be about one’s actual beliefs, where is in this case it would be whether such and such would lead you to no longer believe. If I believed Jesus didn’t exist perhaps the apostate label might be more applicable, but I don’t, I hold that he did, and that I would still hold to Christianity as true even if he didn’t.

I’ll say this, what’s ultimately true for me about Christianity, has always been true, and is not dependent on whether we acknowledge it or not. It just didn’t become true 2000 years ago, anymore so than the Theory of Evolution became true when Darwin penned it, or when we came to acknowledge it’s legitimacy as a species. Perhaps if the Gospels were never penned, if Jesus never appeared, or was never written about, we’d still be in the dark about it, but what’s true, is true regardless if we acknowledge it or not.

I don’t expect you or others to understand this, or what I mean by the truth here exactly, but this is my view.

Quote:Tomasia dismisses accounts in Matthew about zombies walking the streets. But do you accept that Jesus rose from the dead? How does this selective dismissal work? What is your criteria for dismissing one and accepting the other?

Yes, i do believe the resurrection. It’s multiply attested to. Even if we want to label it as a “mischievous superstition” that caught on, like Tacitus wrote. Unlike the Zombie bit that only Matthew writes, of, and the other Gospels writers didn’t. Something did happen after Jesus’s humiliating defeat, that led to a different trajectory here than what’s routine for failed messiah claimants, in which their following dies along with them. Instead something lit a fire in that movement, in which his early followers were willing to die for the truth of it. Perhaps it was some sort of mass hallucination, perhaps it was some sort of spiritual epiphany, that they labeled the resurrection, but something did happen, to kindle the fervency that lit that age, that set rome on fire. That breathed life back into his devastated followers upon witnessing his humiliating defeat.

Quote:Why go to the trouble in creating this ROT, when all of the other sects of Christianity will declare you an apostate destined for hell?

I don’t run across many Christians who would label me an apostate. I do run across a bunch of atheists attempting to speak on their behalf.

I once read a serious book wherein he writer claimed that the world was once flat, until enuff people decided it was round and then it became round, and that cancer germs did not exist until people invented the idea and went looking for them, and that manifested them. That writer was a follower of Tailhard de Chardin (prolly don't have his name spelt rite either.) But he is the only writer that I ever read who tried at all to explain where God came from. Because people wished him into existence.
30-06-2016, 04:43 PM
(29-06-2016 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-06-2016 10:39 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Nope. Only the bible mentions purported "eyewitnesses". It's a nonsense.

Pretty much all the NT writings, even the apocophya, and writings that didn't make the cannon write of the resurrection.

Quote:You cannot use the bible to prove the bible LOL.

Who says? I'm not sure why you declared some arbitrary rule here, that individuals can't draw inferences from the NT writings, written by multiple different writers of the time.

Who says? Every one says. That's who says. We are back to kids on the playground shouting "My Daddy could beat up your daddy." Nobody is bringing out any daddies, only yelling louder and louder to prove it. Let's write a book saying that rats sank the Titanic. What proof do we have for the fact that rats sank the Titanic? We say so! And anybody who doesn't believe us is crazy or stupid or both!!
30-06-2016, 04:49 PM
(30-06-2016 04:36 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(29-06-2016 08:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought the problem was that I don’t share my religious views, that I tend to deflect question asking for elaboration. So i’m not sure why you’re suggesting otherwise. I’m just a self-identifying Christian, who just so happens to participate in atheists forums, interested in a short list of topics that I engage in here, who finds questions about my religious beliefs in the unrelated topics I engage in, to be a distraction.

I believe in atonement, but atonement has a variety of different views, even among christians that are considered a part of the orthodox tradition. If there’s a particular one I’d align myself with, it would be Rene Girard’s Scapegoating view. And Girard is a respected Catholic thinker, I doubt many catholics would want to label him an apostate.

I believe Jesus existed, just like most other Christians. Some christians might say that they would no longer be Christians if Jesus did not exist as a historical person, I wouldn’t, though I think the view that Jesus didn’t exist is absurd. If it worked for the supposed earlier form of Christianity, or Paul, as mythicist suggest, I’m not sure why it couldn’t work for me.

The question in regards to historicity, here wouldn’t really about apostasy because that would be about one’s actual beliefs, where is in this case it would be whether such and such would lead you to no longer believe. If I believed Jesus didn’t exist perhaps the apostate label might be more applicable, but I don’t, I hold that he did, and that I would still hold to Christianity as true even if he didn’t.

I’ll say this, what’s ultimately true for me about Christianity, has always been true, and is not dependent on whether we acknowledge it or not. It just didn’t become true 2000 years ago, anymore so than the Theory of Evolution became true when Darwin penned it, or when we came to acknowledge it’s legitimacy as a species. Perhaps if the Gospels were never penned, if Jesus never appeared, or was never written about, we’d still be in the dark about it, but what’s true, is true regardless if we acknowledge it or not.

I don’t expect you or others to understand this, or what I mean by the truth here exactly, but this is my view.

Yes, i do believe the resurrection. It’s multiply attested to. Even if we want to label it as a “mischievous superstition” that caught on, like Tacitus wrote. Unlike the Zombie bit that only Matthew writes, of, and the other Gospels writers didn’t. Something did happen after Jesus’s humiliating defeat, that led to a different trajectory here than what’s routine for failed messiah claimants, in which their following dies along with them. Instead something lit a fire in that movement, in which his early followers were willing to die for the truth of it. Perhaps it was some sort of mass hallucination, perhaps it was some sort of spiritual epiphany, that they labeled the resurrection, but something did happen, to kindle the fervency that lit that age, that set rome on fire. That breathed life back into his devastated followers upon witnessing his humiliating defeat.

I don’t run across many Christians who would label me an apostate. I do run across a bunch of atheists attempting to speak on their behalf.

I once read a serious book wherein he writer claimed that the world was once flat, until enuff people decided it was round and then it became round, and that cancer germs did not exist until people invented the idea and went looking for them, and that manifested them. That writer was a follower of Tailhard de Chardin (prolly don't have his name spelt rite either.) But he is the only writer that I ever read who tried at all to explain where God came from. Because people wished him into existence.
So that's why there are people that blame newton for gravity

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-06-2016, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2016 05:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Quote:I’ll say this, what’s ultimately true for me about Christianity, has always been true, and is not dependent on whether we acknowledge it or not. It just didn’t become true 2000 years ago, anymore so than the Theory of Evolution became true when Darwin penned it, or when we came to acknowledge it’s legitimacy as a species. Perhaps if the Gospels were never penned, if Jesus never appeared, or was never written about, we’d still be in the dark about it, but what’s true, is true regardless if we acknowledge it or not.

Lovely.
But that's not Christianity, and NOT ONE scholar you can name agrees with it.
You are not a Christian.
You redefined it, and call yourself one.
You could not preach that in ANY "orthodox" pulpit, anywhere.

Quote:I’m just a self-identifying Christian, who just so happens to participate in atheists forums, interested in a short list of topics that I engage in here, who finds questions about my religious beliefs in the unrelated topics I engage in, to be a distraction.

Your behavior here proves you don't "just happen" to be here. Your comments about "polluted' and ''warped" prove you are here for a specific reason ... and you are too dishonest to admit it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post