The Religion of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2015, 01:26 PM
The Religion of Atheism
Rather than attack and discredit the religious beliefs of other people, how about atheists look at themselves in the mirror and define their own personal beliefs? For example, if you do not believe in a creator or God then you must either believe that all matter in the universe has existed forever with no beginning or was magically created from nothing with no creator. Why is your faith superior to any other faith?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2015, 01:38 PM
RE: The Religion of Atheism
For the one millionth time. All atheism is about is disbelief in gods/supernatural.

It makes no claim on the universe or where or when it started.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-05-2015, 01:43 PM
The Religion of Atheism
For someone with the name "Logic", you're sure doing a bang up job of using some Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
14-05-2015, 01:44 PM
(14-05-2015 01:26 PM)Logic Wrote:  Rather than attack and discredit the religious beliefs of other people, how about atheists look at themselves in the mirror and define their own personal beliefs?

What makes you think that we haven't?

Atheism is a single position, on a single issue, not a collection of beliefs on its own; outside of that single position, we have a huge variation of beliefs, too many to adequately list in a way that would be both comprehensive and applicable to everyone. Atheism is not a religion, it is a position on the claims of religions; we do not have dogma, tenets, or required beliefs beyond the singular disbelief in gods, and so I don't know exactly what you want from us, here.

Most likely it's just a shit and run equivocation, but hey. Angel

Quote: For example, if you do not believe in a creator or God then you must either believe that all matter in the universe has existed forever with no beginning or was magically created from nothing with no creator.

Do not presume to tell me what I "must" believe, nor what anyone else what they are required to believe. You do not get to dictate what we think to us; it's dishonest and arrogant.

As a matter of fact, I believe neither of those things, and so your overreaching claim about what we "must" believe is falsified right off the bat. See, there's more than two options, for one, and there could even be options that we haven't even considered yet. The truth is that we simply don't have sufficient evidence or information to form any opinion on the origins of matter or the universe, period; therefore, I'm being intellectually honest and stating that I don't know how those things came about, but that I'm not going to pretend I know the answer like some theists do.

Quote: Why is your faith superior to any other faith?

My faith is superior because it doesn't exist, and doesn't need to. I don't need faith in any of my positions; I've got evidence instead.
[+] 7 users Like Esquilax's post
14-05-2015, 01:46 PM
We don't have "faith".

That's for people who have beliefs.

Belief is what you use to replace understanding.

Understanding is actually viewing something and trying to figure it out, rather than have some guy with an old book spoon feed you answers.

That clear things up for you??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-05-2015, 02:12 PM
(14-05-2015 01:26 PM)Logic Wrote:  Rather than attack and discredit the religious beliefs of other people,

I'm gonna stop you right there. Really think about it, atheism isn't about being on the offensive, but rather the defensive. We live in a world where most of the human population belongs to some religious belief or another. Atheists have no religion. Yet, many of the religions actually demand its followers to convince others to be followers too. That includes the nonreligious. Are you Christian? What does Matthew 28 say? "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel." As long as you keep doing that, atheists are going to keep on discrediting you (and I think they're doing a good job of it). Christianity is one of the most (if not the most) influential belief on this planet. And you keep "spreading the Word", telling us we need to join your crew. Atheists are simply asking why? And we're not getting any satisfying answers.

(14-05-2015 01:26 PM)Logic Wrote:  how about atheists look at themselves in the mirror and define their own personal beliefs?

I encourage you to look at your sacred texts. Review them closely. And ask yourself why your own personal beliefs matter so much.

(14-05-2015 01:26 PM)Logic Wrote:  For example, if you do not believe in a creator or God then you must either believe that all matter in the universe has existed forever with no beginning or was magically created from nothing with no creator.

Question: have you dealt with this dilemma? As an atheist I've already accepted the idea of infinity. Infinity might sound magical, but it's not. It actually creates a problem for any one religious belief. With infinity, there are now way too many possibilities for anyone to look at any belief about our origin and go, "oh yeah, that's it, that's the one."

Atheists have no beliefs about the origin. We gots theories. But where religion says, "Hey, we know how it happened, this is how it happened", atheists, in my opinion, have the more honest admission of, "We don't know."

(14-05-2015 01:26 PM)Logic Wrote:  Why is your faith superior to any other faith?

Oh, your faith certainly superior to mine. You see, I have none.
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
14-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Oh... banned... Undecided That makes me sad.
14-05-2015, 02:18 PM
(14-05-2015 02:16 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Oh... banned... Undecided That makes me sad.

That was my reaction too Sad

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-05-2015, 02:27 PM
But why Logic (Laugh out load )was banned ? The Q guy and Call of the wild guys are trolling big time in this forums. Maybe there is a rule about not more than 2 trolls at once ?

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
14-05-2015, 02:29 PM
(14-05-2015 02:27 PM)Leo Wrote:  But why Logic (Laugh out load )was banned ? The Q guy and Call of the wild guys are trolling big time in this forums. Maybe there is a rule about not more than 2 trolls at once ?

Spam most likely, he was pretty much posting the same thing over and over again. Under Forum Announcements theres A Ban Log where Moms usually posts reasons.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid781793

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post