The Religion of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2015, 04:05 AM
RE: The Religion of Atheism
(15-05-2015 01:05 AM)Astreja Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 09:08 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  I thought this would have been a thought-provoking view of new age atheism in British-influenced nations having atheism emulate the structure of religion, but I guess not.

The only "thought-provoking" thing about it is the phenomenon of believers using the tu quoque fallacy to describe atheists.

Seriously, what good does it do to say "Well, you're religious, too! Neener neener neener"? It's unimaginative, it's demonstrably false in the sense that there is no worship involved in being an atheist, and it doesn't get us any closer to finding the gods that the believers want atheists to worship.

I'm consistently baffled as to why a believer would want a non-believer to pretend to believe and pretend to worship. Huh

It's not about pretending to worship but inability of believer to think that someone could live without belief. Also in believer misguided opinion it shows hypocrisy of atheist who argue that faith is useless and yet believe in nonexistence of god.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2015, 04:38 AM
Can atheist form groups and become political? Absolutely. But the word "atheist" by itself only describes an individual and one position. "atheist" describes the individual's "off" or "empty" position on god claims.

It does not determine that individual's political or economic views. I have run into Ayn Rand atheist supporters who think "fuck you I got mine" is good economics. I have run into Che supporters, he lead to Cuba, those are atheists too. I am no fan of either economic view. I have also run into other atheists who buy into other crap like the universe being a thinking entity , others who buy JFK and 9/11 conspiracies.

"atheist" is not a political party. It is not a religion. It is not a economic view. It is not a loyalty oath. It is not a moral code. Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our evolutionary behavior, not in our labels, not even "atheist".

Can lower case "atheist" be turned into a capital "Atheist" group to become dogmatic? Yes, should it become blindly dogmatic? NO.

Not even "atheist" as individuals should ever stupidly think we are separate or above evolution.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
15-05-2015, 06:38 AM
(14-05-2015 10:23 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 09:08 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  I thought this would have been a thought-provoking view of new age atheism in British-influenced nations having atheism emulate the structure of religion, but I guess not. This reminds me of the stupid threads from Atheist Forums.

You don't seem to like it here. You're free to leave at any time.

I was criticizing the fact this was yet another theist troll thread where they have a title that seems interesting, but the OP is just atheist bashing.
Find all posts by this user