The Religious Antagonist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 04:47 PM
The Religious Antagonist
Not the one you're thinking of Tongue
Have you noticed that almost all religions have some form of evil guy in their myths?
you got Loki, Hades, Satan, etc.
What's up with that?

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2012, 05:16 PM
RE: The Religious Antagonist
Same reason they have a good guy: people are wired to attribute things that happen to some kind of intention. So they came up with the bad guy to explain their temptations and in some cases misfortunes.
11-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Like the ThinkingAtheist said himself, its the carrot and the stick. Satan, Loki etc etc are used to keep believers in line.
11-02-2012, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 01:22 AM by Erxomai.)
It's very much explained through the relationship between The Batman & Joker. Neither can kill the other because they see their mirrored self in the other. They need each other to complete their existence.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-02-2012, 01:19 AM
I think this is a Hollywood representation of most religions. And it is something we like to emphasise in modern literature as we want a good and a bad guy. Neither Hades nor Loki were evil. Loki less so than hades. And Satan is rarely seen as a true enemy of God. Except in a few passages.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
12-02-2012, 02:18 AM
(11-02-2012 07:31 PM)MKilby Wrote:  Like the ThinkingAtheist said himself, its the carrot and the stick. Satan, Loki etc etc are used to keep believers in line.

0.o
That's actually exactly what my religion teacher has said many times about the Middle Ages-- heaven/hell were the carrot and stick used by the powerful to control the serfs. Remember, this is a Catholic school and I'm pretty sure he believes it all.
12-02-2012, 06:04 AM
(12-02-2012 02:18 AM)Atheist Wrote:  
(11-02-2012 07:31 PM)MKilby Wrote:  Like the ThinkingAtheist said himself, its the carrot and the stick. Satan, Loki etc etc are used to keep believers in line.

0.o
That's actually exactly what my religion teacher has said many times about the Middle Ages-- heaven/hell were the carrot and stick used by the powerful to control the serfs. Remember, this is a Catholic school and I'm pretty sure he believes it all.

Did you ever get a chance to question him about that? I would've loved to here what answer you got out of that Tongue Interestingly enough on that matter, I'm sure you've heard of youtubes' Pat Condell, one of his likes links to a video about some high up priest or whatever he is within the vatican, when he retired said in an interview that the whole notion of hell was made up by the church for control purposes. I reckon the church probably shunned him after that.
12-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Agreed it is to keep people in line. It's the Santa Clause scenario. Be good (which makes life easier on mom and dad) and you'll get rewarded. Be bad (which is a pain in the ass for mom and dad) and you won't get anything.

In religious terms, be good get an afterlife of bliss. Be bad get everlasting torment.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
12-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Batman is just like religious nuts. He is a hypocrite. He doesnt believe in killing people, but he will allow some bad guy to live who then kills hundreds or thousands. Batman doesn't see this hypocrisy.
12-02-2012, 11:36 AM
(12-02-2012 08:39 AM)satan69 Wrote:  Batman is just like religious nuts. He is a hypocrite. He doesnt believe in killing people, but he will allow some bad guy to live who then kills hundreds or thousands. Batman doesn't see this hypocrisy.

How dare you. Batman defends the weak against the predators of crime.
Pff. You're probably a follower of the Kryptonian.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel