The Religious Antagonist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2012, 03:51 PM
RE: The Religious Antagonist
(12-02-2012 06:04 AM)MKilby Wrote:  Did you ever get a chance to question him about that? I would've loved to here what answer you got out of that Tongue Interestingly enough on that matter, I'm sure you've heard of youtubes' Pat Condell, one of his likes links to a video about some high up priest or whatever he is within the vatican, when he retired said in an interview that the whole notion of hell was made up by the church for control purposes. I reckon the church probably shunned him after that.

No, sorry, didn't ask. I'm actually not entirely sure what the the parish exactly believes on who goes to heaven and hell. It seems like everyone there thinks that everyone is going to heaven. They don't even discuss the possibility of hell. I guess they have realized just how cruel and demented the whole notion is? All I really learned there was about church history and a select few verses, almost all from the New Testament. However, we did study the OT a bit, and when it came to the story of Job (synopsis here), they just kept reading. No real explanation, simply writing it off as "not literal." How do they determine what is literal or not?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2012, 01:53 AM
(12-02-2012 08:39 AM)satan69 Wrote:  Batman is just like religious nuts. He is a hypocrite. He doesnt believe in killing people, but he will allow some bad guy to live who then kills hundreds or thousands. Batman doesn't see this hypocrisy.

In 'A Death in the Family', Batman (through monologue) mentions that he's been pushing for Arkham to tighten it's security for ages so that murderers like Joker will stop escaping. So he's doing what he can to prevent killers from killing without having to kill them himself, which is what would actually make him a hypocrite in my opinion.
Plus, death in the DC Universe is only slightly more "permanent" than it is in the Dragon Ball universe.
[+] 1 user Likes ErBoi's post
13-02-2012, 02:17 AM
(12-02-2012 03:51 PM)Atheist Wrote:  
(12-02-2012 06:04 AM)MKilby Wrote:  Did you ever get a chance to question him about that? I would've loved to here what answer you got out of that Tongue Interestingly enough on that matter, I'm sure you've heard of youtubes' Pat Condell, one of his likes links to a video about some high up priest or whatever he is within the vatican, when he retired said in an interview that the whole notion of hell was made up by the church for control purposes. I reckon the church probably shunned him after that.

No, sorry, didn't ask. I'm actually not entirely sure what the the parish exactly believes on who goes to heaven and hell. It seems like everyone there thinks that everyone is going to heaven. They don't even discuss the possibility of hell. I guess they have realized just how cruel and demented the whole notion is? All I really learned there was about church history and a select few verses, almost all from the New Testament. However, we did study the OT a bit, and when it came to the story of Job (synopsis here), they just kept reading. No real explanation, simply writing it off as "not literal." How do they determine what is literal or not?

How do they determine what is literal and not? Simple answer, which most religions do is that they cherry pick and flavour choose. Meaning not only do they search hard for the parts that do make sense, they then adapt it to their personal liking (hence flavour analogy). When you find something quite crazy like the whole world made in 6 days thing, they immediately say oh thats not literal, that could mean a different space of time. Which causes me to *headdesk*. You get the point.
14-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Think of it like a fictional story.

To hook people in, you need someone to hate.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.