The Religious Components of Moral Beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 03:35 PM
The issue of amoral actions is pretty easy to follow. I've laid out examples already.

You don't want to acknowledge it because it validates the notion that morality is wholly separate from religion or theism or a god.

That's a good thing though, that allows us to look at the actions of a god and to judge it.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Your thread could just as easily be titled "flat earth component of scientific beliefs."

The misunderstanding of the shape of the earth influenced society, but it was an error on our part.

As is thinking that morality has anything to do with religions.

-Rick
08-02-2015, 05:08 PM
RE: The Religious Components of Moral Beliefs
(08-02-2015 12:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-02-2015 07:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Slave owners used the bible to justify their actions of owning slaves. The why is irrelevant but likely centers on greed. They felt divinely justified in owning slaves.

But why conceal the center of it? Why not just openly do it for the central reasons. Because of the free and inexpensive labor, the return on investment, all the fortunes to be made from it. Why lie to yourself, and to others, concealing this very thing, by appealing to religion?

Because the objections to slavery were moral arguments, they were answered that way.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-02-2015, 08:55 AM
(08-02-2015 07:18 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 07:53 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You've also yet to acknowledge that one can't be a moral actor if all you're doing is following the commandments of another being under the assumption it is moral. That is (at best) amoral.

Well, first of all I'm still not too sure as to what makes an action amoral, compared to moral, for you. So it's hard for me to decipher what you subjectively define this as. In fact when asked for a link to a secular moral philosophy, that aligns with your beliefs, where intentions are the decisive factor, you were unable to do so.

Secondly for all intended purposes we can assume a consequentialist moral philosophy, where intentions are irrelevant. So your claim that it would be at best be amoral, does not apply, to anyone other than yourself.

the intentions are to actualize a desirable outcome
if it ensures the survival of the species then its moral/right/good/justified etc
12-02-2015, 06:08 AM
Sooooo....no response?

-Rick
15-02-2015, 09:23 AM
(12-02-2015 06:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Sooooo....no response?

did Tomy leave ? or is he still lurking around looking for stuff to support is unsupportable position ?
15-02-2015, 09:31 AM
(15-02-2015 09:23 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 06:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Sooooo....no response?

did Tomy leave ? or is he still lurking around looking for stuff to support is unsupportable position ?

He continues to avoid this thread like the plague and opted to try and avoid the questions and points by going to a thread I created on human ignorance and ignoring them there while addressing questions and points not raised by anyone.

-Rick
15-02-2015, 10:39 AM
(08-02-2015 03:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why use the bible to condone slavery? Because they feel divinely authorized to do something that they wouldn't want done to them. It's the notion of "making a good man do a bad thing" I kept saying that you don't seem to have understood.

What does not having to it done to them, have to do with divinely authorization? I'm not sure what you're implying here? I'm trying to understand this alternative narrative you're spinning?

That without this "divine" authorization, slavery would have been severally crippled? Because people would have realized that they shouldn't be authorizing things that they don't want done to them on others?

Do you think there were all these good white folks, who would have never of supported slavery, or owned slaves, but did so because of their belief in a divine authorization?

If so, on what basis would they have known this? As a result of their basic biology, which was overshadowed by their religious beliefs?

Quote:We have largely gotten nowhere because you dodge questions.

Sorry, I've been out and about for the past few weeks, but this discussion seems to have some sort of communication barrier, where it doesn't seem like my points are even being understand, and I also seem to have a hard time making sense of yours, like the one I responded to above.

And I'm not particularly sure how to get over this particular barrier, so it seems like we're repetitiously going through this same process. And it all seems rather tedious. So perhaps I have grown bored with it?

Quote:On the one hand, you imply it doesn't matter if morality is objective or subjective, now you're using it as an excuse to say that there is no point in arguing because of how we've each defined morality.

If two people define the terms differently, they can't really argue can they? It's like a person who likes country, and another who likes Hip Hop, arguing over who the better artist is between, Garth Brooks, and Nas. We'd have to sort of agree to disagree.

Quote:I'll put it this way, the entirety of the thread is based on a complete failure to acknowledge one simple fact, there is no religious component to morality.

How about we ask the question differently

Is there religious components to people's moral beliefs?
15-02-2015, 10:40 AM
(15-02-2015 10:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is there religious components to people's moral beliefs?

Not necessarily.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Some people must be REALLY REALLY bored. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.