The Religious Components of Moral Beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 07:40 AM
And it's clear you didn't understand what Girly was saying either. And stevil seems to understand my posts too.

For a hint, Girly was pointing out the subjective nature of morality by saying that those who are religious are the most "moral" people on earth.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
16-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Amorality is not the subjective piece, morality is. Using a religion to try and forgo your morality is amoral. It's cheap. It is an attempt to absolve ones self from responsibility. It's childish.

-Rick
16-02-2015, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015 08:06 AM by Tomasia.)
RE: The Religious Components of Moral Beliefs
(16-02-2015 07:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Amorality is not the subjective piece, morality is. Using a religion to try and forgo your morality is amoral. It's cheap. It is an attempt to absolve ones self from responsibility. It's childish.

What constitutes as amoral is just as subjective and relativistic, as what constitutes moral and immoral.

I looked over 307, 316, and 317, they all precede with this misunderstanding of yours in place.
16-02-2015, 08:41 AM
Morals are about how we treat each other. A solitary man can neither be moral nor immoral.

Given that, morality is a negotiation by the individual with society.
Your beliefs are only as important as how they drive your behavior; only your actions matter.

If you blindly follow a script (e.g. religion), then your actions may not be moral - they may harm others.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-02-2015, 09:19 AM
(16-02-2015 07:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 07:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Amorality is not the subjective piece, morality is. Using a religion to try and forgo your morality is amoral. It's cheap. It is an attempt to absolve ones self from responsibility. It's childish.

What constitutes as amoral is just as subjective and relativistic, as what constitutes moral and immoral.

I looked over 307, 316, and 317, they all precede with this misunderstanding of yours in place.

They address your attempt at criticism; if you don't understand how then you should reread them and leave behind your innate bias to disagree with me.

I'll start by asking another question at the heart of your issue. Do you believe morality is objective? Do you believe a list of rules are morals?

-Rick
16-02-2015, 09:24 AM
One reason to leave behind your bias, is that your current attempt at a "gotcha" argument is try and point out that if I believe in relativity, then I can't distinguish between moral, amoral, or immoral. But what you fail to realize is that Einstein has shown us that everything is relative.

You're arguing against yourself if you think relativity is self-defeating.

-Rick
16-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Read very carefully what Chas has posted.

-Rick
16-02-2015, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015 09:58 AM by Tomasia.)
(16-02-2015 08:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  Morals are about how we treat each other. A solitary man can neither be moral nor immoral.

Given that, morality is a negotiation by the individual with society.
Your beliefs are only as important as how they drive your behavior; only your actions matter.

If you blindly follow a script (e.g. religion), then your actions may not be moral - they may harm others.

No, morality is none of these things. It's whatever each individual person wants it to be. A solitary man can just as well be a moral being, if he's in possession of all the virtues that makes a man moral, even if he has no one to convey this to. Just as one could be an excellent lover, in a world where there's no one left to make love to. You may disagree with this, but you're disagreement wouldn't be one in which I'm in factual error.

To assume that I am, is one presupposing some objective moral standard.
16-02-2015, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015 10:02 AM by Tomasia.)
(16-02-2015 09:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  One reason to leave behind your bias, is that your current attempt at a "gotcha" argument is try and point out that if I believe in relativity, then I can't distinguish between moral, amoral, or immoral. But what you fail to realize is that Einstein has shown us that everything is relative.

No, it's pointing out that your distinctions are just arbitrary, rather than a declaration of facts. You can only distinguish between right and wrong, in the way in which you distinguish good music and bad music, a good book from a bad book. You can't transcend a relativistic, subjective claim, to an objective sphere in which you don't believe in.

And don't think this problem magically revolves itself, when you're speaking about what's "amoral". Because it doesn't.
16-02-2015, 10:14 AM
(16-02-2015 09:58 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 09:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  One reason to leave behind your bias, is that your current attempt at a "gotcha" argument is try and point out that if I believe in relativity, then I can't distinguish between moral, amoral, or immoral. But what you fail to realize is that Einstein has shown us that everything is relative.

No, it's pointing out that your distinctions are just arbitrary, rather than a declaration of facts. You can only distinguish between right and wrong, in the way in which you distinguish good music and bad music, a good book from a bad book. You can't transcend a relativistic, subjective claim, to an objective sphere in which you don't believe in.

And don't think this problem magically revolves itself, when you're speaking about what's "amoral". Because it doesn't.

How do you reconcile this post with the post above in reply to Chas?

-Rick