The Religious Moderate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 12:13 PM
The Religious Moderate
I was watching The Big Question with Richard Dawkins and they were discussing the relevance of the Bible in the 21st century. I was astounded, to say the least, that religious moderates are the most frustrating discussions with whom one could have a conversation. They say that the extremism of religious belief is not warranted because such atrocities are not what God would have these people do. However, when I show them Exodus 32 when Moses is told by God to take the army of the Levites and replicate the number of deaths of the 9/11 tragedy on the people who are worshiping a golden calf they simply sweep under the rug or say "It was okay for that time."

Other times I will receive the No True Scotsman fallacy that the people who orchestrated the Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch burnings, and the persecution of the Native Americans, was all supported by scripture. The whole excuse that we do not need to follow the Old Testament is a modern invention that has been made by moderate Christians due to pressure of secular progressives and modernity. The rationale behind these evils was drawn directly from these scriptures. Exodus 22:18 says "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Deuteronomy 13 gives orders on how to treat people to decide to worship other gods nor not the god of Israel. Not to mention that the teachings of Christianity, especially with fear-mongering doctrine of Hell and eternal punishment, gives people a solid basis to eliminate atheists and people of other faith traditions in order send as many souls to heaven. This is not theocratically motivated imperialism, this is not "Christian extremism", or "Fundagelicalism"; this is, to reference C.S. Lewis, mere Christianity.

How does one deal with religious liberals and moderates who strongly object to how deleterious their beliefs are. The moment one dignifies the claim that the Bible or the Qur'an is better than any other scriptural source (Baghavad Gita, Avesta, Tripitaka, Kojiki, Dianetics) such a concession opens the door for all kinds of irrational nonsensical propositions to permeate society relentlessly such that those of opposing, though more rational, viewpoints are shunned and dismissed. The worse part of the situation is the theologically, morally, and intellectually bankrupt "school" of religious moderation is an implicit admission that Bible is indefensible rubbish to at least some degree. However, there exists no common language by which a religious moderate can dismiss the fundamentalists' acts of:

Faith healing (Mark 16:9-20)
Creationism (Genesis 1-3)
Homophobia (Genesis 19 & Romans 1:29-27)

The horrible irony is that many of them try to put their own interpretations of Bronze Age historical fiction into our governments, military, and schools. Even though they would rather assert their baseless speculation as though it were the perfect word of God, the undeniable truth is that these peoples' beliefs are not justified in any sense be them about Yahweh, Baal, Zeus, Poseidon, Mithras, Krishna, or any other gods. They are assumed on faith; whether or not these beliefs are true they are asserted as such without justification in the form of evidence.

Okay, I'm done.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 08:09 PM
RE: The Religious Moderate
Those damn moderates. They give tacit permission to the radicals.
MLK took moderate whites to task for not stepping up and objecting to segregation.

"When good men do nothing evil triumphs", Edmond Burke

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't know. I kind of agree with this line of thinking... I wish the moderates/liberals would police their own religious friends and family and try to convince them to wisen up (as some of them likely do), but I hate to blame the actions of the extremists on the moderates.

After all, if a bunch of atheists burned down a church, should I be blamed for that?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 08:32 PM
(09-04-2012 08:16 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  If a bunch of atheists burned down a church, should I be blamed for that?
If atheist were the majority and some were burning the churches of a small minority religion, a society comprised of majority atheist should be held accountable. We have to speak up especially when it's unpopular.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.