The Remembering Place

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 12:45 PM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: The Remembering Place
My maternal grandfather died a little over a month ago. He was an engineering machinist for a leading food manufacturing company for over 30 years. Many of the gadgets that he created were pilfered by various competing companies after the patents unfortunately ran out. Any time that he happened to create a new assembly machine or fix an existing one with a major problem, representatives from sister companies from all over the world (most predominantly northern Europe) would come to study his techniques. Many of the top engineering machinists that currently work at the company were his apprentices.

Although he was introverted by nature, he was a very funny man. His sense of humor would be considered dry by some, but the fact that he delivered many of his zingers with a straight face made what he said even funnier. He was known as the "king of puns" at work. For example, he once taped a 9 volt battery to a packet of salt and left it on his supervisors' desk. His superior racked his brain all day trying to figure out what exactly it meant. He later called my grandfather to his office because he knew that he was the most likely culprit. When asked what it meant, my grandfather replied: "it's "assault and battery" (referring to the amount of work the maintenance shop had to put up with).

He also put his technical skills to good use in getting revenge on people. The parts room of their company was located at the end of a long corridor. Some unknown individual figured out that the button that you pressed to get service from one of the parts people would get stuck if you twisted it after pushing. This caused the bell to continue to ring. The person kept on doing it without ever getting caught. In response, my grandfather created an air cannon designed to shoot cocoa powder out of the ceiling if someone twisted the button. Needless to say, they found out who was doing it!

This is a picture of him and my grandmother:

[Image: gmaandgpa.jpg]

I used to draw funny pictures of him as various people, animals, or things just to get on his nerves. Here he is as Tinkerbell. I've previously posted it on here in the past:

[Image: tinkerlou.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like ghostexorcist's post
22-12-2012, 05:30 PM
(22-12-2012 05:16 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  My maternal grandfather died a little over a month ago. He was an engineering machinist for a leading food manufacturing company for over 30 years. Many of the gadgets that he created were pilfered by various competing companies after the patents unfortunately ran out. Any time that he happened to create a new assembly machine or fix an existing one with a major problem, representatives from sister companies from all over the world (most predominantly northern Europe) would come to study his techniques. Many of the top engineering machinists that currently work at the company were his apprentices.

Although he was introverted by nature, he was a very funny man. His sense of humor would be considered dry by some, but the fact that he delivered many of his zingers with a straight face made what he said even funnier. He was known as the "king of puns" at work. For example, he once taped a 9 volt battery to a packet of salt and left it on his supervisors' desk. His superior racked his brain all day trying to figure out what exactly it meant. He later called my grandfather to his office because he knew that he was the most likely culprit. When asked what it meant, my grandfather replied: "it's "assault and battery" (referring to the amount work the maintenance shop had to put up with).

He also put his technical skills to good use in getting revenge on people. The parts room of their company was located at the end of a long corridor. Some unknown individual figured out that the button that you pressed to get service from one of the parts people would get stuck if you twisted it after pushing. This caused the bell to continue to ring. The person kept on doing it without ever getting caught. In response, my grandfather created an air cannon designed to shoot cocoa powder out of the ceiling if someone twisted the button. Needless to say, they found out who was doing it!

[Image: gmaandgpa.jpg]

I used to draw funny pictures of him as various people, animals, or things just to get on his nerves. Here he is as Tinkerbell. I've previously posted it on here in the past:

[Image: tinkerlou.jpg]
Aww, what a great story; I laughed out loud. You can kinda' see the twinkle in your granddad's eyes in the photo. Apparently you've inherited his mischievous ways--his legacy lives on.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
23-12-2012, 03:18 AM
My sister. Introverted, shy, determined, depressive... loyal... best friends with my mother... Died suddenly of an embolism two years ago.

We were good friends too. I used to see her every week... we used to play music together, watch movies. When her best friend died I spent 3 nights sleeping on her floor to keep her company...

Since she died... I've become tougher. Harder. Life was pretty rough the first few months. Only thing that kept me going was the fact that she would have given me a right talking to if I let myself turn into a schmuck...

Thanks Percepticon. Been a few times I've thought about posting about this. First time I have...
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
23-12-2012, 07:44 AM
(22-12-2012 05:16 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  My maternal grandfather died a little over a month ago. He was an engineering machinist for a leading food manufacturing company for over 30 years. Many of the gadgets that he created were pilfered by various competing companies after the patents unfortunately ran out. Any time that he happened to create a new assembly machine or fix an existing one with a major problem, representatives from sister companies from all over the world (most predominantly northern Europe) would come to study his techniques. Many of the top engineering machinists that currently work at the company were his apprentices.

Although he was introverted by nature, he was a very funny man. His sense of humor would be considered dry by some, but the fact that he delivered many of his zingers with a straight face made what he said even funnier. He was known as the "king of puns" at work. For example, he once taped a 9 volt battery to a packet of salt and left it on his supervisors' desk. His superior racked his brain all day trying to figure out what exactly it meant. He later called my grandfather to his office because he knew that he was the most likely culprit. When asked what it meant, my grandfather replied: "it's "assault and battery" (referring to the amount work the maintenance shop had to put up with).

Sounds like a great guy. I, too, chuckled at your story. I hope it was a peaceful, not painful death.

(23-12-2012 03:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  My sister. Introverted, shy, determined, depressive... loyal... best friends with my mother... Died suddenly of an embolism two years ago.

We were good friends too. I used to see her every week... we used to play music together, watch movies. When her best friend died I spent 3 nights sleeping on her floor to keep her company...

Since she died... I've become tougher. Harder. Life was pretty rough the first few months. Only thing that kept me going was the fact that she would have given me a right talking to if I let myself turn into a schmuck...

Thanks Percepticon. Been a few times I've thought about posting about this. First time I have...
I'm really sorry to hear this. Can't even begin to imagine what it feels like. Hug

Although I've lost two grandmothers and one grandfather, I only remember well my paternal grandmother. A hard-working, gentle woman, who'd had her own fair share of bad things happen to her, (among other things, the loss of her firstborn son as a baby). She spent her life working hard and taking care of others, never got to travel and yet had an amazing thirst for learning new things. She loved reading fairy-tales and liked Robinson Crusoe so much, she started calling my father Friday.

She loved the very first soap opera they showed in Bulgaria, a long time ago - a Brazilian one called The Slave Isaura. I've often thought how much she would have liked the fact that I actually went to the country where it took place.

Her death was sudden and avoidable, but at least she didn't suffer. The only thing I'm sad about (besides her losing all those years she could still have had) is that there was no heaven on the other side, like she thought there would be.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
23-12-2012, 10:25 AM
The Remembering Place
(23-12-2012 07:44 AM)Vera Wrote:  

Sounds like a great guy. I, too, chuckled at your story. I hope it was a peaceful, not painful death.

(23-12-2012 03:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  My sister. Introverted, shy, determined, depressive... loyal... best friends with my mother... Died suddenly of an embolism two years ago.

I'm really sorry to hear this. Can't even begin to imagine what it feels like. Hug

Although I've lost two grandmothers and one grandfather, I only remember well my paternal grandmother. A hard-working, gentle woman, who'd had her own fair share of bad things happen to her, (among other things, the loss of her firstborn son as a baby). She spent her life working hard and taking care of others, never got to travel and yet had an amazing thirst for learning new things. She loved reading fairy-tales and liked Robinson Crusoe so much, she started calling my father Friday.

She loved the very first soap opera they showed in Bulgaria, a long time ago - a Brazilian one called The Slave Isaura. I've often thought how much she would have liked the fact that I actually went to the country where it took place.

Her death was sudden and avoidable, but at least she didn't suffer. The only thing I'm sad about (besides her losing all those years she could still have had) is that there was no heaven on the other side, like she thought there would be.

Hug

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-12-2012, 10:25 AM
The Remembering Place

Hug

No homo.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I'd post a hug thingy too but...

ah what the hell. Hugs for all Smile

Hug Hug Hug
23-12-2012, 01:13 PM
(23-12-2012 01:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'd post a hug thingy too but...

ah what the hell. Hugs for all Smile

Hug Hug Hug
Or, to be more precise [Image: grouphug.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
23-12-2012, 04:18 PM

How sweet....I'm glad you decided to share. I find it so heartwarming when siblings are close and loving. She was so lucky to have you....sounds like you were lucky to have each other. I'm sorry for your family's loss. Did you two record any of the music you played together? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be honored to hear it. Hug Heart

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
23-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Found the 'obituary' I wrote for Michael...forgot I had e-mailed it to 3 of our mutual friends. There was a stark contrast between Steven's passing and Michael's. It seems Michael just slipped away into obscurity, when he worked so very hard to be sure Steven and his memory were honored. But we had no say in Michael's death, so he slipped away. I wrote this to honor his life, even though I couldn't get it printed. Thanks for taking the time to read.

G------ MICHAEL O----, known as Michael to everyone except the government, passed away in his Atlanta home on Monday, February 21, 2011. Born March 17, 1958, Michael often referred fondly to his boyhood in rural Conyers, GA, and felt truly blessed to have such loving parents, G----- and V---------. Michael attributed much of who he is to his upbringing & to the lessons he learned on the farm and from nature.

In his late teens, Michael began his career with Hardees, working his way up to store, regional, and finally district manager. In his more recent years, Michael was proud to serve in various positions on the Board of the homeowner's association of the community in which he lived. Whether working or volunteering, Michael took pride in what he did, and strove for excellence while balancing business needs with his strong sense of compassion and ethics. It was these qualities which won him the admiration and respect of almost anyone he encountered.

While often humble and self-effacing, Michael was bold and outspoken when he felt the situation called for it. He was known on more than one occasion to say, "I refuse to be a victim," a statement backed up by an incident years ago during which a carjacker who pulled a gun on Michael received quite the surprise when Michael, rather than give in to the carjacker's demand, began to chase him. Michael was just as fiercely protective of his "inner circle"--friends and family with whom he was especially close.

Michael never attended college, but his innate curiosity attracted people from all walks of life. He had an insatiable desire to learn from others, loved a good debate, and was open to allowing his opinions to change shape. "Challenge me," Michael often said, and if someone did, she or he earned points in Michael's book.

Michael was at once kind, funny, modest, honest, irreverent, respectful, challenging, a businessman and anything but your status-quo average 'Joe.' There aren't enough words to describe Michael, who is as unique as the colorful images he humorously evoked when recounting a vignette he witnessed or experienced. A favorite phrase he used to describe something he liked was, "it's cooler than penguin shit!"
Quote:
Michael is preceded in death by his beloved sister, C------, his Soulmate Steven "Jyoti" W---------, and his furred companions, Beckett, Pooter, and Sebastian. He is survived by his parents, G------ & V---------O-----, great-niece B--------, and numerous relatives in Georgia in Florida.

For Michael, Atlanta has always been home. He considers G----------------, FL his second home, and is deeply mourned there, but never forgotten, by his intimate and long-time circle of friends, S----------, T-------, K------- and Valerie -------.

His family will have a small private gathering at the graveside. Donations in Michael's memory can be made to ___
(some local AIDS charity?)__.

[+] 2 users Like Percepticon's post