The Richest 10% hold 76% of the wealth.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-08-2016, 07:58 PM
RE: The Richest 10% hold 76% of the wealth.
Fuck off, Woodie.

[Image: 1060cbcomic-ld-this-means-war1.jpg?w=675&h=890]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
21-08-2016, 01:24 AM
(20-08-2016 04:27 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 07:28 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A middle class person today, has a lifestyle much closer to a rich person of today, than a middle class person compared to a rich person 100 years ago.

Wow. We're doing better than the Victorian era when we used orphans to mine arsenic. We should definitely settle for this.

I'm underwhelmed.

In the short term you can have noise. For instance the 2008 housing bubble lead to a slight decrease/stagnation of the size of new homes being built. However if you consider the long term like looking at the 1950's when the average home built was about 900' square feet and now when it is closing in on 3000' square feet you will see that poor people and middle class standard of living is getting closer and closer to that of rich people.
21-08-2016, 01:33 AM
(20-08-2016 04:33 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  From the Journal of the American Medical Association:

The Association Between Income and Life Expectancy in the United States, 2001-2014

"The gap in life expectancy between the richest 1% and poorest 1% of individuals was 14.6 years (95% CI, 14.4 to 14.8 years) for men and 10.1 years (95% CI, 9.9 to 10.3 years) for women. Second, inequality in life expectancy increased over time. Between 2001 and 2014, life expectancy increased by 2.34 years for men and 2.91 years for women in the top 5% of the income distribution, but by only 0.32 years for men and 0.04 years for women in the bottom 5% (P < .001 for the differences for both sexes)."

Thank you for posting this information. It gave me a lot to think about as I assumed this would be a metric in which you would see the disparity decrease and the opposite seems to be happing. I am thinking about why this might be happening.

Do you have an data to show that the gap in health care consumption is widening for the rich compared to everyone else? Health care consumption and life expectancy are not the same thing.
21-08-2016, 02:42 AM
(19-08-2016 10:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  So what you’re saying is that wealth is relative?

I would say happiness is relative, wealth is measurable.

Don't forget health without that the other two can become greatly diminished.
21-08-2016, 08:23 AM
(21-08-2016 02:42 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 10:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  So what you’re saying is that wealth is relative?

Don't forget health without that the other two can become greatly diminished.

I think health falls under the heading of happiness. Difficult to be happy without good health right?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-08-2016, 08:30 AM
(20-08-2016 12:23 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

The consumption of goods and services is measurable too. If you want to measure inequality in the consumption of goods and services....which if there is a problem that would be it...measure that. If you want to demagogue and create class warfare, measure the marketable securities people own and convince one group they are being screwed because they don't have as much.

I read your response several times and it comes off as a wish-mash of jumbled ideas. Try again, this time first address my original reply in a coherent way and then present your rebuttal (assuming that’s what it was, I really can’t tell) clearly and concisely.

Sometimes I get the sense that you just like arguing for argument’s sake. Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-08-2016, 08:30 AM
(21-08-2016 08:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 02:42 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Don't forget health without that the other two can become greatly diminished.

I think health falls under the heading of happiness. Difficult to be happy without good health right?
Yes that's kinda what I meantBig Grin although it is possible to be happy when in bad health it is definitely diminished.
24-08-2016, 04:13 AM
(21-08-2016 08:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(20-08-2016 12:23 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The consumption of goods and services is measurable too. If you want to measure inequality in the consumption of goods and services....which if there is a problem that would be it...measure that. If you want to demagogue and create class warfare, measure the marketable securities people own and convince one group they are being screwed because they don't have as much.

I read your response several times and it comes off as a wish-mash of jumbled ideas. Try again, this time first address my original reply in a coherent way and then present your rebuttal (assuming that’s what it was, I really can’t tell) clearly and concisely.

Sometimes I get the sense that you just like arguing for argument’s sake. Consider

We can measure how much goods and services a person consumes. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Suppose you had a billionaire who was a bit eccentric. He lived the hermits life and lived in a cave out in the dessert and ate grasshoppers. Does the fact that he owns a billion dollars in securities make your life any worse off? He isn't in competition with you for anything that makes your life better off.....like refrigerators or cars or or a house or Big Macs.

If their is an unjust disparity it lies in the amount of goods and services consumed. Not marketable securities.

I think you could take all the billionaires in the world, Line them up, put a bullet in their heads and divide their stuff equally among the rest of the 7 billion people on this planet. I bet the result would be no or hardly any measurable increase in the actual quality of life of an average human being.
24-08-2016, 05:30 AM
The Richest 10% hold 76% of the wealth.
(20-08-2016 07:58 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Fuck off, Woodie.

[Image: 1060cbcomic-ld-this-means-war1.jpg?w=675&amp;h=890]

Isn't it funny that every politician we get to vote for is part of Houndsville?