The Riddle Thread (read rules in first post!)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2015, 08:34 PM
RE: The Riddle Thread (read rules in first post!)
Hint time?

I speak in many tongues yet say nothing as I am fed nothing but salo lies.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2015, 04:05 AM
My thoughts on this one were either a telescope or copper cable. However, I'm thinking now it could be a candle or the wick of a lamp.

Telescope: An exploration tool that requires constant shelter, but no gold to be spent or speed to speak of.
Copper cable / Internet: Again an exploration tool requiring constant shelter. The gold could refer to the copper itself, but it isn't really spent. The speed doesn't quite marry up either.
A candle or wick: An exploration tool that requires shelter to avoid being blown out. Gold could refer to the flame, as could tongues from the spoiler. Fat candles are slow, and thin candles are quick... so that's my best guess for now.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
21-01-2015, 06:06 AM
(21-01-2015 04:05 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  A candle or wick: An exploration tool that requires shelter to avoid being blown out. Gold could refer to the flame, as could tongues from the spoiler. Fat candles are slow, and thin candles are quick... so that's my best guess for now.

We have a winner.
The "gold" is expended as the candle burns, it creates a tongue of flame, candles and other light sources been an extremely important navigational tool, fat (Salo: A German(?) dish of baked pig fat) and lye are used in it's creation and indeed; a candles width determines how long it burns for.

I am genuinely impressed: I thought I'd made it too obtuse.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
22-01-2015, 08:01 AM
OK here goes: Out of hollow breath a light unseen. My skin gives off a mighty sheen.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Hint 1:
My quicksilver halitosis demands special funeral rites.

23-01-2015, 07:56 AM
^^^ I can only think of Mercury. It has a highly reflective skin and was used for filling teeth but I don't get the funeral reference (other than that it's not good for you when taken in large doses).

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Hint 2:
Through my breath Thor's hammer swings.

25-01-2015, 05:29 AM
Hint 3:
Though my ancestors were explorers I prefer to stay in my home of glass.

25-01-2015, 06:01 AM
Mercury is at home in a glass thermometer
Mercury is Quicksilver
Little known fact ... Brian May is a Viking and Freddie's body was cast adrift in a longboat.

And the references to breath...

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-01-2015, 06:24 AM
Pretty warm DLJ, but not quite what I was looking for. I'm concerned the question might be too technical given the time it has been running so far Smile

Hint 4:
I brightly illuminate the space I fill. My ancestors were hot but my light is cool. My life is limited but my grandchildren may live forever.