The Riddle Thread (read rules in first post!)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 06:29 AM
RE: The Riddle Thread (read rules in first post!)
Neon lights
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
27-01-2015, 06:14 AM
That's close enough for a win I think Wink
I figured I would maintain a connection to the previous answer and went from a candle to a fluorescent light.
- Out of hollow breath - the tubes are held a low pressure
- a light unseen. My skin gives off a mighty sheen - the light emitted by the tube is never seen, instead it causes the fluorescent coating to glow brightly
- My quicksilver halitosis - the tubes contains mercury vapour (bad breath)
- demands special funeral rites - this makes fluorescent lights toxic waste that are banned from landfill in many jurisdictions
- Through my breath Thor's hammer swings - Electric current through the vapour generates the hidden light
- my ancestors were explorers - A specific reference to the previous riddle
- I prefer to stay in a home of glass - the fluorescent material coats the inside of the glass
- I brightly illuminate the space I fill - The normal usage for such a tube is to light a room
- My ancestors were hot - Incandescent bulbs run hot and inefficiently, as do candles and wicks
- my light is cool - A reference to the bulb being cool to the touch when running, but also that the light is often thought to be cooler in colour than incandescent alternatives. This has historically been an argument against adopting these lights although modern tubes are fairly good at replicating the incandescent light.
- My life is limited but my grandchildren may live forever - The technology expected to replace compact fluorescent bulbs is LED which should have a much much longer lifespan, possibly never requiring to be changed in a typical human lifetime.

Thanks for playing. Pablo you're up Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
27-01-2015, 11:56 AM
I'll go add a classic probably well known one:

What walks by 4 legs in the morning,
By 2 at noon,
and by 3 at night?

[Image: tumblr_ninj7iM6SU1qhnegdo1_500.jpg]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post