The "Right" to Medical Care

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2016, 06:46 AM
The "Right" to Medical Care
There's an awful lot of talk these days in the US about the "right" to medical care.

I'm not here to argue about "coulda, shoulda, woulda" --- I'm here to talk about what IS.

For something to be defined as a legal "right" -- it needs to be codified, and written down.. Preferably in the Constitution.

So show me, in the US Constitution the right to medical care.....

Don't say "Life" - as in "Life, Liberty and pursuit of happiness" ---- because then you could argue most anything is a right. I really need some nookie from time to time, but I'm not about to claim I have a "right" to get laid.

Again -- I'm not here to argue whether we should have such a right -- I'm simply pointing out that simply SAYING it all the time --- like most other things politicians blather on about all day -- doesn't make it so.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2016, 06:57 AM
RE: The "Right" to Medical Care
So what exactly is it you want to address here? The overall health care system, its funding or meritocracy for health coverage?

Food for thought:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_sys...omparisons

Interesting to note that the US Health Care System costs the most of the OECD countries and yet we have the lowest life expectancy. Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-03-2016, 07:01 AM
(29-03-2016 06:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's an awful lot of talk these days in the US about the "right" to medical care.

I'm not here to argue about "coulda, shoulda, woulda" --- I'm here to talk about what IS.

For something to be defined as a legal "right" -- it needs to be codified, and written down.. Preferably in the Constitution.

Don't say "Life" - as in "Life, Liberty and pursuit of happiness" ---- because then you could argue most anything is a right. I really need some nookie from time to time, but I'm not about to claim I have a "right" to get laid.

Again -- I'm not here to argue whether we should have such a right -- I'm simply pointing out that simply SAYING it all the time --- like most other things politicians blather on about all day -- doesn't make it so.

Except that's literally not true because of the 9th amendment. And was added for that point.

It's not written down, but you have the right to use the interstate road service.

Which I always find hilarious when people rail on about that tenth amendment in deals like health care, gay marriage, etc. cases of states having their rights. Well they also seem to have bypassed that one right before the one they seem to think is so much more special to their desires and demands.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-03-2016, 08:07 AM
(29-03-2016 06:57 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  So what exactly is it you want to address here? The overall health care system, its funding or meritocracy for health coverage?

None of the above.

Food for thought:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_sys...omparisons

Interesting to note that the US Health Care System costs the most of the OECD countries and yet we have the lowest life expectancy. Weeping

As I said -- I'm not really addressing medical care............

What I'm addressing is people insisting on believing that if they keep repeating something long enough - it becomes fact....................

Fact is -- there is no specific legal "right" to medical care in the US.

But -- people act as if there was...............

That's not good... It's how religion works.................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-03-2016, 08:12 AM
(29-03-2016 06:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's an awful lot of talk these days in the US about the "right" to medical care.

There are all kinds of rights. They arise from different sources.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights
If legislation has been passed by representative government, or Administrative Law
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/administrative_law
that there is a "right to medical care", then under most *reasonable* circumstances, that right exists.

Does someone who drinks and does crack have a *right* to four liver transplants ?

It comes down to what is determined to be *reasonable*.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Not at all! medical care should just be for the rich. The government's money should go for war, not for the betterment of its citizen. LOL

On the other hand have you ever been in a hospital emergency room? All of them I have been have a sign that says that the hospital has the responsibility to care for one's emergency medical needs. I don't know precisely how it is written, but it is referred to as patients rights, if I remember correctly.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
29-03-2016, 03:18 PM
(29-03-2016 07:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Except that's literally not true because of the 9th amendment. And was added for that point.

It's not written down, but you have the right to use the interstate road service.

Which I always find hilarious when people rail on about that tenth amendment in deals like health care, gay marriage, etc. cases of states having their rights. Well they also seem to have bypassed that one right before the one they seem to think is so much more special to their desires and demands.
As I put in bold above, No using the interstate system is not a right. I have been licensed to drive in 8 US states and every one of them assures drivers that driving is not a right, but a privilege.
29-03-2016, 03:28 PM

You mean this document?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-03-2016, 03:37 PM
(29-03-2016 08:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

There are all kinds of rights. They arise from different sources.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights
If legislation has been passed by representative government, or Administrative Law
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/administrative_law
that there is a "right to medical care", then under most *reasonable* circumstances, that right exists.

Does someone who drinks and does crack have a *right* to four liver transplants ?

It comes down to what is determined to be *reasonable*.

Yes, also since the constitution, before the amendments just establishes how our government is run and establsihed that congress should make laws...

It's a no brainer. If we believe medical care is a right, and we vote for people who agree with that it is a right, and they in turn, create and vote upon laws that establish that is a right -- and the president signs such a bill into law...

Then yes it is in fact constitutional. Like hundreds of our other federally mandated laws.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-03-2016, 03:47 PM
(29-03-2016 06:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  For something to be defined as a legal "right" -- it needs to be codified, and written down.. Preferably in the Constitution.

Why in the Constitution? Why shouldn't the States be able to decide on the legal right to medical care?

#sigh