"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
RE: The Rise of the Nones
Makes me smile to see reason on the rise , but still , I've met quite a few non religious who were into a lot of irrational behavior like alternative-medicine (i.e cancer is caused by emotions ) and conspiracy theories (jews are behind it all) - so my concern is , are we allowing one form of irrational behavior to be replaced with another ?

What are your thoughts ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2012, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 05:17 PM by Seasbury.)
This is a "problem" of the Nones - very diverse group that includes many "irrational" behavioralists. I'm interested in the atheist literature studies to date. Like I said, I fully expect the number of such studies to grow in the coming years.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
04-01-2012, 05:11 PM
(04-01-2012 05:02 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Makes me smile to see reason on the rise , but still , I've met quite a few non religious who were into a lot of irrational behavior like alternative-medicine (i.e cancer is caused by emotions ) and conspiracy theories (jews are behind it all) - so my concern is , are we allowing one form of irrational behavior to be replaced with another ?

What are your thoughts ?

Interestingly, I've been thinking along those lines lately.

Humans have evolved to use what Dennett calls the "intentional stance" as a good mental tool, a shortcut to decision making. You look at the tiger and think "She wants to eat me, I'd better scram". The problem comes when that useful trick misfires, gets misused, when looking at things that do not have any decision-making or goal-oriented mechanisms, e.g. the tides, volcanoes, storms, and so on.

I have been thinking that this is not only a basis for beliefs in gods, but belief in the supernatural and belief in conspiracy theories.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
(04-01-2012 05:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 05:02 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Makes me smile to see reason on the rise , but still , I've met quite a few non religious who were into a lot of irrational behavior like alternative-medicine (i.e cancer is caused by emotions ) and conspiracy theories (jews are behind it all) - so my concern is , are we allowing one form of irrational behavior to be replaced with another ?

What are your thoughts ?

Humans have evolved to use what Dennett calls the "intentional stance" as a good mental tool, a shortcut to decision making. You look at the tiger and think "She wants to eat me, I'd better scram". The problem comes when that useful trick misfires, gets misused, when looking at things that do not have any decision-making or goal-oriented mechanisms, e.g. the tides, volcanoes, storms, and so on.

I have been thinking that this is not only a basis for beliefs in gods, but belief in the supernatural and belief in conspiracy theories.

That's a good point of view.
Guess I have more reading to do Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2012, 04:57 PM
(05-01-2012 04:16 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 05:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  

What are your thoughts ?

That's a good point of view.
Guess I have more reading to do Big Grin

I'm finding there's quite a bit of academic literature available, you just have to look hard enough for it.

The Jesse Smith study, [url= http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...H50QhNp8w] Becoming an Atheist[/url] is really quite good, although a small sample size and only in the Boulder, CO area - but that is "god's country" Wink

[Not sure what's up with that link - but it works...]

I used a good portion in my article, and my upcoming article on morality will also be borrowing heavily on his text on that matter.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog