The Rob Rennie Dude Seth Talked to Is Schizophrenic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 04:47 PM
RE: The Rob Rennie Dude Seth Talked to Is Schizophrenic
(08-01-2013 01:47 PM)Human Being Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 08:33 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  ...but I'm wondering what specifically makes you think he's "schizophrenic".

By the way, I like your comment on his blog. It's insightful.
The fact that he literally hears voices in his head that he cannot recognize his own, and he firmly believes that these voices are telling him to do things like turn on the TV. It's possible that I'm misusing the "diagnosis," but Charles Manson thought that he was getting divine messages via The Beatles' White Album, Rennie is getting divine messages from Raiders of the Lost Ark—not really seeing the difference.

And thanks!
I'm glad to hear that you haven't confused schizophrenia with multiple personality disorder like so many people do. Auditory and/or visual hallucinations can be a symptom of schizophrenia and religious themes are also not uncommon. So it is certainly possible that Rob Rennie has schizophrenia. However, I also think that's a mighty big leap. There are so many other possible diagnoses including no mental illness at all that are equally possible. Having a thought to turn on the TV can be interpreted by religious people as a voice in their head from God while being completely different from a real auditory hallucination. Doing so by religious people is no different than them believing a prayer got answered. It's all just talking oneself into believing nonsense.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
08-01-2013, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 05:19 PM by Human Being.)
(08-01-2013 04:36 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 04:22 PM)Human Being Wrote:  Well, glad I'm only "dick-like" and that you don't think I'm an actual dick.

"And that's purely from reading you posts."

How long did it take you to type that last sentence, Capt. Obvious? What other possible method could you have for determining that I am "dick-like;" the fact that your mouth waters at the sight of me?
No you fucking cunt, that was just a preliminary post for you to show your true colors. Thanks for sharing that with the site.

And MY post was a preliminary post to make you show YOUR true colors! Thumbsup Derp! How long did it take you to devise this master plan of yours? And what is my true color exactly? Being that you described me as "dick-like," I assume I'm some sort of flesh color.

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
(08-01-2013 05:15 PM)Human Being Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 04:36 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  No you fucking cunt, that was just a preliminary post for you to show your true colors. Thanks for sharing that with the site.

And MY post was a preliminary post to make you show YOUR true colors! Thumbsup Derp! How long did it take you to devise this master plan of yours? And what is my true color exactly? Being that you described me as "dick-like," I assume I'm some sort of flesh color.
[Image: fdfa6d67-c386-4451-b331-27fb09352ea2.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-01-2013, 07:31 PM
(08-01-2013 06:04 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 05:15 PM)Human Being Wrote:  And MY post was a preliminary post to make you show YOUR true colors! Thumbsup Derp! How long did it take you to devise this master plan of yours? And what is my true color exactly? Being that you described me as "dick-like," I assume I'm some sort of flesh color.
[Image: fdfa6d67-c386-4451-b331-27fb09352ea2.jpg]

Actually, I don't think it can be considered trolling if it's a discussion I started. You are the one who is getting off the subject off the topic, issuing ad hominem attacks, etc. That is the very definition of trolling. It's okay, I was confused when I was young too.

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
08-01-2013, 08:35 PM
(08-01-2013 03:49 PM)Human Being Wrote:  Secondly, delusions are a symptom of mental illness, although not one specific illness in particular. In order to make an accurate diagnosis, one would need to see what other symptoms are present. I would argue that you did have a mental illness, and that you treated it though a form of self-therapy, and no longer are ill.

Glad you're feeling better!

Not necessarily. Yes it can be a sign of a mental illness but to say all deluded people have a mental illness is a generalisation a delusion is a false belief or opinion.

Would you say all children that believe in Santa have a mental illness?. The false belief is fed to them by those around them.

LJ's belief was no different to that. A delusion spoon fed to you by those around you is no sign of mental illness on your part. Especially if others tell you it's the truth for most of your life.
[+] 4 users Like FSM_scot's post
09-01-2013, 01:02 AM
(08-01-2013 08:35 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Not necessarily. Yes it can be a sign of a mental illness but to say all deluded people have a mental illness is a generalisation a delusion is a false belief or opinion.

Would you say all children that believe in Santa have a mental illness?. The false belief is fed to them by those around them.

LJ's belief was no different to that. A delusion spoon fed to you by those around you is no sign of mental illness on your part. Especially if others tell you it's the truth for most of your life.
All good points. However, it should be pointed out that there is a significant difference between a child who believes in Santa, and a child who believes Santa is telepathically telling him to do things and carry out specific acts. (And no, I don't think the average child believes that Santa is telepathically telling them to "be good;" even a child is aware that the parents are the proxy messengers of Santa's message and gifts.)

09-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Yes but the "god tells me what to do" is really the persons own conciousness but because of the bullshit fed to them, being told in one way or another that is their god, they are going to believe that is a higher power telling them what to do instead of themselves. It's a product of a life time of being fed false information and not necessarily due to mental illness.