The Roma - Europes unwanted.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 08:28 AM
RE: The Roma - Europes unwanted.
(14-01-2014 08:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 08:00 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I think there are some Roma groups living in the US. Descendants or something. I saw a thing about them on TV once. I want to say they lived in like West Virginia, but I might be wrong.

Oregon.

Hey the West Virginia is coloured periwinkle! So I was right Tongue

I was trying to remember where the people I saw on that show lived.. I thought it was WV... Now I have to go figure out what the hell I was watching like four years ago.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2014, 08:37 AM
A search shows two possibilities. Either American Gypsies on National Geographic or My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding on TLC. The first is in NYC while the second is kind of all over the place, but apparently they did actually have a special on a family from WV.

Basically they're horrible reality shows.... probably not helping the Roma at all.
14-01-2014, 09:17 AM
(14-01-2014 08:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 08:00 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I think there are some Roma groups living in the US. Descendants or something. I saw a thing about them on TV once. I want to say they lived in like West Virginia, but I might be wrong.

Oregon.

So reading this it seems the problems with the Romani are mostly based on prejudice. In America where no one give 2 fucks about them they are doing well. Also was it just me or did all Luminon's post need was "I'm not racist but" at the front of it?

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-01-2014, 10:11 AM
It's a simple generational thing. The parent generation is environmentally damaged and for the most part unable to help itself. All it takes is to stabilize them and let the kids go to normal school and the kids will come out fine and take care of things.

That's what happened in the US and Germany and Austria and that's what needs to happen everywhere. It's all about the kids being able to attend school unfettered.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-01-2014, 07:39 PM
(14-01-2014 09:17 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So reading this it seems the problems with the Romani are mostly based on prejudice. In America where no one give 2 fucks about them they are doing well. Also was it just me or did all Luminon's post need was "I'm not racist but" at the front of it?
This is what you'll see when you meet Gypsies from eastern Slovakia. As Dom says, local Gypsies were murdered during WW2 by the home population with minimal help from the Nazis. The ones that came after that are... wild, let's say. Dom is right, redeeming must come through the children.

Having a bad opinion of a group based on how that group behaves is not racism, it's using my brain. When I worked in a factory, I got along fine with my Gypsy co-workers. They were clearly good men, funny, polite, employed, and all. If I was a racist, I'd hate them or fear them no matter what they were like.

15-01-2014, 05:41 PM
We don't have many Roma people here in the UK, most of our "Gypsies" are Irish Travellers. My mother's mother's family were travellers who came over from Ireland and settled in a flat in London. Now, I haven't seen or heard from that side of the family (except for news of births, deaths or weddings) much since my mother died nearly 10 years ago (10 years ago tomorrow, actually); but I have so many memories of being a kid and going to family parties and stuff and getting abuse from passers by. People would shout things like "Tinkers!" And "Pikeys" at us, even when it was just us kids playing outside.
It's the last brand of racism that is tolerated by most people in this country. I hate it. If you book a venue for a party and they find out you are a traveller, or some of your guests will be travellers, most places will cancel on you with some lame excuse, or try to charge more. Can you imagine they did that to any other race?! They'd be closed down. But if you're a traveller you have no protection from racial discrimination. People can treat you however they want. Gah.

That stuff with the little girl made me so sad. She must have been terrified to be taken away from her family. I doubt most of the newspapers that initially reported the case even printed an apology for what they said about those people. And then the same thing happened in Ireland like a week later, didn't it?