The Root Of All Evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 09:37 PM
The Root Of All Evil
I'm new, so bear with me if I bring up subject matter you've already discussed.

The old adage is, "Money is the root of all evil." I don't totally disagree. However, what is the path to that root? It's religion, especially the Abrahamic religions. I'm not familiar with Hindu or other lesser known organized, dogmatic religions. I went to a Catholic high school, so I'm familiar with The Bible and the Torah is basically the Old Testament and Islam originated in the Old Testament.

There are people who literally believe in the biblical narratve and there are people who claim that the words are meant to be allegories which guide us on how to live loving, moral lives . We who have read the BIble cannot believe that what's written actually happened. I also believe that we have read "allegories" which teach us how to live a psychopathic life.

Leaders have utilized dogmatic religion to rake in the gold. It's even possible that said leaders don't believe a word they're preaching. I guess in politics it's referred to as a "wedge issue."

So, in the keeping with the chicken/egg question, did humans create the modern, dogmatic religions in order to gain riches or were the religions created in order militarize its followers and send them into battle in order to steal riches and natural resources from "infidels"?

To friendship,
CN
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2016, 11:29 PM
RE: The Root Of All Evil
I believe Isaiah 45:7 spells out quite clearly that god is the root of all evil.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
17-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Like chickens and eggs, there's no point where you can say "this is the cross over from chicken to egg".

As one moves from a smaller social grouping of a hunter-gatherer society, to a more populous agrarian society, the shamanistic beliefs and so forth are systematised into some kind of religion almost by default, at the same time the old systems of government must also change - centralised leadership, trade etc. Then all it takes is for a ruler to recognise the power of religion and it becomes a tool of war and conquest.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-01-2016, 11:47 PM
There is nothing special about Abrahamic religions. Religions are useful for political control. Alexander knew that, Artaxerxes know that, Constantine knew that and the Arabic empire knew that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-01-2016, 12:58 AM
Religions were invented pre written history. So we honestly don't know why. But they became tools of power.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-01-2016, 06:24 AM
I think it's possible the very first concepts of gods were an honest attempt to explain the world around us.

But very soon after that some caveman thought "If Og says god told him something, then Og can tell people what to do! Holy crap! Og discover how to easily attain women and status with no effort! I just tell younger ones to do my hunting for me!"

And thus Og became the first spokesman for god.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-01-2016, 07:22 AM
I don't think that religions were created in a quest for wealth. And I'm not certain that they have been always consciously steered that way. There are examples where they have been (Scientology) but I doubt that most of them were.

However I do think it likely that people who sought wealth did see the church as a possible means to that. Whether they are sincere or not, I can't tell.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
18-01-2016, 07:44 AM
Money might be the root of all evils - but alcohol is the root of all hangovers.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-01-2016, 08:10 AM
The this or that you propose isn't really a realistic dichotomy.

The real question here is do you pronounce it "Root" or "Rout"

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-01-2016, 10:21 AM
1 Timothy 6:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

A small, but important omission in your quote.

Carry on. Drinking Beverage

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post