The Root Of All Evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2016, 10:36 AM
RE: The Root Of All Evil
The actual passage states that 'the love of money is the root of all evil' (Timothy 6:10)
Money itself is actually neutral and I think that the passage is truly aimed at people covet things rather than people who possess things

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2016, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 09:29 AM by CosaNostra.)
TheInq (may I call you “TheInq”), I believe you’re correct. I’ve always thought that belief in an invisible and powerful person or group of people developed in order to explain that on which science today has a pretty good grasp. I don’t know why I forgot to include that in my question. It definitely could have worded it better. I’m not sure that merely believing in an anthropomorphized invisible god or anthropomorphized gods and goddesses can be called a religion. Doesn’t there have to be some sort of organized dogma in order for such a belief to be a religion? Nonetheless, thanks for pointing that out.

As far as Og is concern, he no doubt not only became god’s representative and somehow convinced others of that, but he was probably the first CEO (I’m not sure what his corporation was all about, but I’m sure it was publicly traded).

Clyde, you’re right about the pronunciation of “root”. I pronounce it “path”.

I didn’t check with King James, who, today, holds Jesus (most likely a mythical character) at gunpoint, before I quoted the “adage”. I guess it’s more than just an adage, isn’t it? Or can everything written in the “holy” books be considered an adage?

Peter, the verse may have been directed at people who covet things, as you say. However, today, those who covet usually obtain what they covet. I believe, no statistics quoted here, that coveting is a luxury, as the means of earning what Teddy Roosevelt called a “living wage” is evading far too many who live in The FUSA (The Formerly United States of America). Admittedly, I’m sort of crossing over into politics here. On the other hand, here in The FUSA, many politicians use religion as that very wedge issue to which I referred. In The FUSA, politicians have convinced far too many people that religion, especially Christianity, should be the guiding principle upon which we should base our pursuit of happiness and on which life and death decisions should be made. They’ve convinced far too many people that, if they’re elected, “the war against Christianity” will end because they’ll work to reverse decisions made on same sex marriage, abortion and other “abominations”. Those who cling to their crosses believe this claptrap and vote for said politicians. When the politicians get into office, their public rhetoric remains the same but they ultimately do the bidding of corporate officers and other wealthy individuals. The Christians are continually duped and, in many cases, vote against their own best interest.

So, back to the original premise. Religion is used to gain more wealth for those who are already wealthy and to take monetary resources from those who are struggling to make ends meet.

Religion also becomes conflated with patriotism. We salute those who are sent into foreign lands to kill and die so The FUSA can gain control of the natural resources of those lands and, consequently, increase the wealth of the wealthy.

Belief in spirituality was a natural reaction for those who had no idea of why stuff happened - rain, thunder, earthquakes, illness, etc. However, those reasons to believe have long been explained by scientific theory, but it serves the wealthy to keep belief a major part of being an “American”.

I guess the answer is belief came before religion, but once belief became religion, it was exploited to create a class system in which those who insist upon belief benefit financially.

I’m just sayin’.

To friendship,
CN
22-01-2016, 05:52 PM
The love of money is the
root of all evil,(Timothy 6:10)

Money don't grow on trees.(Reality 1:01)

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
23-01-2016, 07:56 AM
(17-01-2016 09:37 PM)CosaNostra Wrote:  I'm new, so bear with me if I bring up subject matter you've already discussed.

The old adage is, "Money is the root of all evil." I don't totally disagree. However, what is the path to that root? It's religion, especially the Abrahamic religions. I'm not familiar with Hindu or other lesser known organized, dogmatic religions. I went to a Catholic high school, so I'm familiar with The Bible and the Torah is basically the Old Testament and Islam originated in the Old Testament.

There are people who literally believe in the biblical narratve and there are people who claim that the words are meant to be allegories which guide us on how to live loving, moral lives . We who have read the BIble cannot believe that what's written actually happened. I also believe that we have read "allegories" which teach us how to live a psychopathic life.

Leaders have utilized dogmatic religion to rake in the gold. It's even possible that said leaders don't believe a word they're preaching. I guess in politics it's referred to as a "wedge issue."

So, in the keeping with the chicken/egg question, did humans create the modern, dogmatic religions in order to gain riches or were the religions created in order militarize its followers and send them into battle in order to steal riches and natural resources from "infidels"?

To friendship,
CN

It's not money that is the root of all evil. It is irrationality. Wanting something you have not earned. Money is just a means of exchange. It is production of goods and services that people need to live that gives money it's value. All the pieces of paper in the world will not buy you a loaf of bread if no one produces a loaf of bread or the ingredients needed to make a loaf of bread. Even if these things are gathered wild, it still takes someone's labor to gather them. Production is an objective requirement for living. If you consider it evil then you consider living evil.

Certainly, religion is irrational. It's all about gaining the unearned. It's about gaining unearned values, unearned knowledge, unearned forgiveness, unearned greatness and unearned love. I consider it evil.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
24-01-2016, 07:17 AM
the root of all evil is our endless greed and fear

a lil greed and fear is ok... but an endless amount of either or both is bad.. especially when it involves or is used by people in very high positions

money is something we all value... money is necessary when there is something we can exchange it for, if there isn't then its indistinguishable from trash
so wanting more money simply for the sake of it always leads to trouble..... a prime example is the Koch brothers or as I like to call them, the cock brothers
24-01-2016, 11:08 AM
(17-01-2016 11:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is nothing special about Abrahamic religions. Religions are useful for political control. Alexander knew that, Artaxerxes know that, Constantine knew that and the Arabic empire knew that.

Religions are useful "group forming" tools.
As such, they are what evolution says promotes survival.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.