The Root of Some Evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
The Root of Some Evil
Quote:For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

That's Timothy 6:10 (NIV), and it may be the most easily refuted claim in the entire bible (besides the promise that honoring your father and mother will bring you a long life). The original King James says that money is the root of all evil, and that's extremely easy to disprove. All of us have "sinned" for motives other than the love of money (lust, pride, etc.) and there are people who don't love money but continue to sin anyway. So the NIV and other translations, trying to muddy the water a little, claim that it is the root of all "kinds" of evil. What is a kind? Nobody knows. Is it every individual sin? Surely nobody ever ate shellfish or pig because they loved money, or raped a person, or used God's name in vain... the list goes on. Perhaps the scope is much more focused, and the categories of sin are as follows: 1) Sins done for the love of money, and 2) Other sins done for the love of money. Putting all sins in these groups would surely lead you to the conclusion that the love of money is at the root of all sins.

Instead, let's focus on the second part, henceforth called "the dumber part". Who the hell ever "wandered from the faith" because of the love of money? If you want to define "wandered from the faith" as "sinned", then go ahead and water it down to the point where it's pointless... surely some have "wandered from the faith" over the love of football or the love of driving fast, and these points have not been addressed in Timothy. But what it seems to mean by that phrase is "lost their Christianity", and that's what I'm incredulous about. I surely didn't pursue atheism because Christianity was hampering my love for money. Who did? Who would?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2012, 05:02 PM
RE: The Root of Some Evil
You are a tool of the corpocracy. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Socrates said, "...virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue come money and every other good of man."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes StatiK's post
09-07-2012, 05:05 PM
(09-07-2012 05:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You are a tool of the corpocracy. Big Grin
I know the first four words are right, but I'll have to check with Coca-Cola and see if they'll let me agree with the last three as well.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
09-07-2012, 05:14 PM
People make the mental connection via money to the things they want, that have a dollar value.
People want to maximize their "Personal Utility from Consumption" (their satisfaction of living).
So I think we can imagine the reason to "leave a faith" because it puts limits on personal satisfaction, the drive of all human existence.
Religion has consistently tried to limit personal freedom and choice and therefore the individual from reaching maximum satisfaction from living ones life under ones own terms, not the authority of the church (or a government).
Money is the root of all evil in a manner of speaking equates to Human freedom must be limited.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
09-07-2012, 05:30 PM
(09-07-2012 05:14 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Money is the root of all evil in a manner of speaking equates to Human freedom must be limited.

Another tool heard from. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-07-2012, 08:53 PM
(09-07-2012 05:00 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
Quote:For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

That's Timothy 6:10 (NIV), and it may be the most easily refuted claim in the entire bible (besides the promise that honoring your father and mother will bring you a long life). The original King James says that money is the root of all evil, and that's extremely easy to disprove. All of us have "sinned" for motives other than the love of money (lust, pride, etc.) and there are people who don't love money but continue to sin anyway. So the NIV and other translations, trying to muddy the water a little, claim that it is the root of all "kinds" of evil. What is a kind? Nobody knows. Is it every individual sin? Surely nobody ever ate shellfish or pig because they loved money, or raped a person, or used God's name in vain... the list goes on. Perhaps the scope is much more focused, and the categories of sin are as follows: 1) Sins done for the love of money, and 2) Other sins done for the love of money. Putting all sins in these groups would surely lead you to the conclusion that the love of money is at the root of all sins.

Instead, let's focus on the second part, henceforth called "the dumber part". Who the hell ever "wandered from the faith" because of the love of money? If you want to define "wandered from the faith" as "sinned", then go ahead and water it down to the point where it's pointless... surely some have "wandered from the faith" over the love of football or the love of driving fast, and these points have not been addressed in Timothy. But what it seems to mean by that phrase is "lost their Christianity", and that's what I'm incredulous about. I surely didn't pursue atheism because Christianity was hampering my love for money. Who did? Who would?
Thanks for creating this thread. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this way (e.g. money isn't the root of evil. It isn't good or bad in and of itself).

I actually wrote about this very topic in an online journal I keep for my young son.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
10-07-2012, 02:04 AM
If you truly valued something, would you exchange it for something of no value? Eventually, that makes everything kind of worthless.

A friend of mine used to use a rolled up five pound note to snort coke. I thought that was kind of funny... other than that, money is pretty much just shit.

Oh, I know... color me evil. Evil_monster

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-07-2012, 04:30 AM
(09-07-2012 05:14 PM)Thomas Wrote:  People make the mental connection via money to the things they want, that have a dollar value.
People want to maximize their "Personal Utility from Consumption" (their satisfaction of living).
So I think we can imagine the reason to "leave a faith" because it puts limits on personal satisfaction, the drive of all human existence.
Religion has consistently tried to limit personal freedom and choice and therefore the individual from reaching maximum satisfaction from living ones life under ones own terms, not the authority of the church (or a government).
Money is the root of all evil in a manner of speaking equates to Human freedom must be limited.
I think here that you're making the mistake of saying that, because money can maximize one's personal utility/satisfaction, money is the only way to do so. You know the old cliche -- the best things in life are free. There are a lot of things that can bring you happiness but don't cost a thing.

While it's true that religion limits personal freedom (as would any set of rules), not all of us have total freedom without it. I still live ethically, and ethics can put a bigger strain on one's actions than a religion. At this point I actually care about the rights and feelings of animals, and care about preserving the environment, and care about how my actions affect others... and religion didn't restrain me in any of those areas except actions towards others. So personal freedom wasn't my reason for leaving the faith -- the need to know and understand truth was. And that need was not financially motivated.

10-07-2012, 04:41 AM
(09-07-2012 08:53 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  Thanks for creating this thread. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this way (e.g. money isn't the root of evil. It isn't good or bad in and of itself).

I actually wrote about this very topic in an online journal I keep for my young son.
Even Christians don't think that money is the root of evil, but rather "love of" money... but what does that even mean? I personally think that being wealthy usually comes from loving money, because no one who hated money would try to get more than absolutely necessary... loving money means making it a priority to acquire large amounts of it, in my humble opinion.

I think it's funny that the religious are often republicans, because republicans seem to love money. Wealthy conservatives argue that they should be able to keep as much of their money as possible and stop giving it to "government", which is actually where their money is redistributed to people who need it. Do these people think it just gets poured into a hole in the ground? Their taxes are used on their fellow Americans, and yet they resent it.