The Root of Some Evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2012, 05:02 AM
RE: The Root of Some Evil
(10-07-2012 04:41 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Even Christians don't think that money is the root of evil, but rather "love of" money... but what does that even mean?

Well, if you ask a prophet... or even if you don't Wink what's going on here is a "lust for power" situation. What is money? Simply, it is a standardized value of time. So those whose desire for money, in itself, are desiring to value themselves above others. Nobody wants a million dollars. What people want, is a Ferrari; so that everybody can look out from the windows of their Ford Craptastic and see you stylin' somebody's life. (As the time it takes to make a million bucks is more than the lifetimes of many)

Granted, there is advantages to the Ferrari. It is art, and can be appreciated as such; but any who acquire one without an equal lifetime of investment, is just gonna spin the tires and look like an ass.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-07-2012, 07:19 AM
This is one of the most often misquoted and I think misunderstood verses of the bible and it's probably one of the few "good" verses in that book. Most of the time when it's quoted the "love of" part is left off. I'm not sure why that is the case, but it is. Of course money is not, in itself, the root of all evil, or all good, or anything else. As someone said earlier it is inanimate. The same applies to guns, "guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people." It's just a tool.

So the "love of" part is the key. The love of money I think would most readily be interpreted as greed. But what else is related to greed? Envy, jealousy, covetousness, lust, etc. Take just about any act of crime and one could probably trace the motive of that crime to one of these things. This is how it's interpreted by most Christians, I think. And, in this particular case, I think they would be correct in that interpretation.

As one atheist to others, don't be so blinded by your ridicule for religion that you miss or dismiss true diamonds of wisdom even while they may be buried in a pile of shit.
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2012, 07:27 AM
(10-07-2012 05:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 04:41 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Even Christians don't think that money is the root of evil, but rather "love of" money... but what does that even mean?

Well, if you ask a prophet... or even if you don't Wink what's going on here is a "lust for power" situation. What is money? Simply, it is a standardized value of time. So those whose desire for money, in itself, are desiring to value themselves above others. Nobody wants a million dollars. What people want, is a Ferrari; so that everybody can look out from the windows of their Ford Craptastic and see you stylin' somebody's life. (As the time it takes to make a million bucks is more than the lifetimes of many)

Granted, there is advantages to the Ferrari. It is art, and can be appreciated as such; but any who acquire one without an equal lifetime of investment, is just gonna spin the tires and look like an ass.

Ah, at last, the head tool has weighed in. Tongue

Kim's amusing little anecdote makes me wonder: how many of the dollar bills in my wallet have at one time passed through the G-string of a stripper?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-07-2012, 07:55 AM
I would say the root of evil is in the ability to cause harm to others with no empathy for their suffering and pain.

Strippers will suffer without my dolla dolla bills ya'll.

I would also agree that some of my evil is enjoyed as I eat BBQ, knowing full well where that delicious meat comes from.

In general though, I would say evil is an extension of greed. Attempting to get what you want through any means necessary, no matter who gets hurt in the process.
As such, god would fall into the category of "evil greedy bastard" and since god admits he is the creator of evil in his own book no less, then that pretty much makes HIM the root of all evil.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-07-2012, 08:20 AM
(10-07-2012 07:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 05:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, if you ask a prophet... or even if you don't Wink what's going on here is a "lust for power" situation. What is money? Simply, it is a standardized value of time. So those whose desire for money, in itself, are desiring to value themselves above others. Nobody wants a million dollars. What people want, is a Ferrari; so that everybody can look out from the windows of their Ford Craptastic and see you stylin' somebody's life. (As the time it takes to make a million bucks is more than the lifetimes of many)

Kim's amusing little anecdote makes me wonder: how many of the dollar bills in my wallet have at one time passed through the G-string of a stripper?
Always with the salient point, our Erxy. Thumbsup

10-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Starcrash, the KJV version is mistranslated.

When the Greek article ho is used it is translated as "types" or "kinds". You see the same thing in John 3:16.

The NASB, of course, has it more correctly translated.

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Basically, it's not saying that it's the root of ALL evil is money. It's the root of a lot of evil.

Not trying to play the translation card, but it is what it is. You can look for yourself if you want to.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I see nothing wrong with money. Money itself is merely the means to an end. What exactly that end is - that's what causes the problems.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-07-2012, 10:39 AM
(10-07-2012 10:09 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The NASB, of course, has it more correctly translated.
(10-07-2012 10:09 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not trying to play the translation card, but it is what it is. You can look for yourself if you want to.

Way to call the jack of diamonds the page of coins... Dodgy

(10-07-2012 10:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  I see nothing wrong with money.

Which either means:

Ya don't do math.
OR
You're a tool of the corpocracy. Big Grin

10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
(10-07-2012 07:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 05:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, if you ask a prophet... or even if you don't Wink what's going on here is a "lust for power" situation. What is money? Simply, it is a standardized value of time. So those whose desire for money, in itself, are desiring to value themselves above others. Nobody wants a million dollars. What people want, is a Ferrari; so that everybody can look out from the windows of their Ford Craptastic and see you stylin' somebody's life. (As the time it takes to make a million bucks is more than the lifetimes of many)

Before I was in the military I was a manager of a tanning salon for some time, so I actually have some experience with this. Look at your dollar bills - the ones that look like they have been folded lengthwise rather than the typical "wallet fold" probably have about a 99.99% chance of having stripper DNA on them. Wink
10-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Also, the "wandered from" part is inaccurate as well.

It's more correctly translated as "seduced". Wandering implies the doer is active in the wandering; however, to be seduced holds a different connotation. It implies that the doer was tricked and didn't actively choose to wander.

The word literally means "cause to go astray". The word is acting upon the subject; the subject isn't acting upon the word.

The verse.

The word that is used.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]