The Root of Some Evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
RE: The Root of Some Evil
(10-07-2012 07:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Kim's amusing little anecdote makes me wonder: how many of the dollar bills in my wallet have at one time passed through the G-string of a stripper?

Wha? Did you ask for change? Unsure

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-07-2012, 12:54 PM
(10-07-2012 12:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, the "wandered from" part is inaccurate as well.

Let me get this straight: you're saying the NASB is inaccurate.

Shocking

One step closer to becoming an atheist prophet like yt. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-07-2012, 02:30 PM
(10-07-2012 12:54 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 12:28 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, the "wandered from" part is inaccurate as well.

Let me get this straight: you're saying the NASB is inaccurate.

Shocking

One step closer to becoming an atheist prophet like yt. Evil_monster

I've always said that the NASB wasn't 100% accurate. It's just the most accurate modern translation.

The YLT and Darby's are the most accurate English translations; however, even they aren't 100% accurate. This is why you have to look at the Greek and Hebrew.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but having run a translation service for ten years, I can tell you that there is no such thing as an accurate translation.

The meanings of words change over time, they are different from region to region, subculture to subculture, village to village, tribe to tribe and clan to clan.

And the further back you go in history, the more this is so. In the times before broad travel by normal, everyday people, language was divided in so many dialects it could make your head spin. You could walk 5 miles to the next village and language use would be quite different, as would pronounciation and the associations that are attached to individual words.

You all know the concept of a family joke. Well, dialects get cryptic like that. Outsiders have totally different connotations with words and are baffled at what they hear people say in what is supposed to be their own language.

Now add in the historical changes in language, and you will soon see that it is impossible to do any accurate translation of antique, regionally influenced works.

There never has been nor will there ever be an accurate translation of the bible. The colloquialisms are long lost even to native speakers of old languages.

The whole nit-picking about words in translation of antique texts is an exercise in futility.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-07-2012, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 05:10 PM by houseofcantor.)
(10-07-2012 02:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is why you have to look at the Greek and Hebrew.

I'd rather look to the LC and my Gwynnies. You kinda suck as a theist, huh? Big Grin

(10-07-2012 03:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  The whole nit-picking about words in translation of antique texts is an exercise in futility.

Ain't nobody talking antique texts. We're talking scripture, here. Big Grin

Scripture is the words of the prophets - never intended for the laity - and it is not the meanings of the individual terms that matter, but rather; well, software. Code to run the simulation of a certain kind of insane mind. Mathematical conception of Void before the advent of zero. Remember the rumor of Jesus impressing the priests at a young age with his understanding of scripture? And Mohammed? The test was not that they could quote scripture before being exposed to scripture - cause that's magic, a.k.a. ain't happening - what did happen is that such prophets could pontificate on the nature of Void, well, like a prophet.

The accuracy of modern texts to such uncovered documents as the dead sea scrolls is a result of the scribes, who did not understand the mind of the prophet, preserving the essence of the prophet in the phrasing of the terms. You know how, it's like the first day on the job? And you do it slow, so you do it right, so it ain't your last day on the job? That's what happened. By not knowing what they were doing, it got done, and scripture was preserved.

Although it is essentially useless. Big Grin

It's mathematical conception, and here I sit, ruminating on what is essentially number made flesh, the computer. In a modern world, derived from the calculus. Where everybody hates math. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post