The Santa Analogy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2012, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 10:15 AM by Buddy Christ.)
The Santa Analogy
Theists often complain that atheists have the "Santa Syndrome" because we constantly bring up Santa in comparison to their god. But honestly, there is no other figure who more accurately represents our view on God than Santa.

And here's why.

-No one has ever seen God, yet we are constantly asked to consider the "works of God" and observe all that "God has given us." Likewise, you may not have actually witnessed Santa, but miraculously the cookies and milk are gone and there are gifts under the tree. It is nothing short of a miracle.

-God promises you rewards if you behave in a goodly manner and threatens fire if you don't. Santa rewards you with presents in the same manner and threatens you with coals (a subtle implication of fire).

-By using a reward/punishment system, governments/parents utilize God/Santa as a means to control the masses/children. It is a mode of passive discipline. A perpetual guillotine threatening to drop at anytime.

-Santa apparently has magic powers. You might even say he is omnipotent. After all he can visit every house on the majority of the planet in the span of one night. He can also make reindeer fly and can fit down chimneys on houses that don't even have chimneys. He also never sets of any security alarms or makes any noise.

-Santa lives in a place where we know where it is... we just can't get to it. He just lives somewhere up north, and God just lives somewhere up there.

-Most of the civilized world knows Santa. They know his mannerisms, his history, his likes and dislikes (we offer plates of cookies like an animal sacrifice to God because we are aware of his preferences), and until a certain age, they attempt to communicate with him via telepathy in hopes to gain his favor (he also knows what you want for Christmas even though you never wrote to him). Like God, Santa has different names in different cultures ("Sinterklaas," "Zwarte Piet," even "Christkindl" (Christ Child)). Saint is even rooted in religion, as he is essentially a child-friendly, glorified Saint Nicholas.

-A child KNOWS that Santa exists. He just feels that he exists. How else would those presents get there? It's only after an adult tells the child the truth that his reality crumbles around him and he is forced to face the actual truth. In this case, we atheists are the adults trying to explain that there is no Santa. But these children have believed in Santa for several decades now, and have even built friends and lifestyles around that belief system. So naturally it's going to be much harder to show them the truth. But we must not stop trying.

[Image: santa-jesus.jpg] [Image: jesus-santa-church-ad.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Buddy Christ's post
17-06-2012, 03:11 AM
RE: The Santa Analogy
A fucking guy... making a buck, sitting in the mall, by having children sit on his lap to get their pictures taken... ain't a good example. Of anything. Big Grin

Nah, I hate them things. Being a prophet is being stuck with being a theologian, and god is identity. In that "god does not exist" is congruent to "a deadly insult" to the theist. But being a prophet on an atheist forum ain't about preaching you catz some gospel; I mean, we ain't all believing in each other's gods, period. I'm sure you got a god, even if it's rationality, or "lack of belief," or a child. We all got a Prime Cause or we'd be without effect. Thing makes me go with atheism; god, internal, is all the "god software" a mofo need. Otherwise, he's just stirring up shit. Thumbsup

In terms of the OP, I got my Gwynnies; if Santa works for you, then have at it. In terms of me running my neck, god does not exist for existence limits god. Is that an atheistic or theistic sentiment? Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Ahh, nothing like a santa thread in the middle of June.

Reminds me of my parents complete lack of effort.
The way I found out there was no Santa was that we left a bucket of carrots out for the reindeer and in the morning there was only the ends of the carrots left in the bucket. OMG MIRACLE! oh but wait, why is there a dozen carrots in the fridge with no ends...?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
17-06-2012, 03:45 AM
(17-06-2012 03:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ahh, nothing like a santa thread in the middle of June.

The way I found out there was no Santa was that we left a bucket of carrots out for the reindeer and in the morning there was only the ends of the carrots left in the bucket. OMG MIRACLE! oh but wait, why is there a dozen carrots in the fridge with no ends...?
Come on now, use your head. The reindeer wasnt hungry. Imagine how many houses left him carrots to eat on that night. So Santa put the carrots back.
[+] 2 users Like Vlad's post
17-06-2012, 03:49 AM
(17-06-2012 03:45 AM)Vlad Wrote:  
(17-06-2012 03:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ahh, nothing like a santa thread in the middle of June.

Come on now, use your head. The reindeer wasnt hungry. Imagine how many houses left him carrots to eat on that night. So Santa put the carrots back.
Suppose Santa bit the ends off the carrots too and threw the ends back into the bucket?
In fact if I remember they were cut off with a knife, not even bitten off.

useless parenting is useless.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
17-06-2012, 04:08 AM
I knew santa wasn't real cause we didn't have no chimney. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-06-2012, 04:29 AM
I never remembered believing in Santa. Whether Santa exists or not, I didn't really care at that time. I just view Santa as a jolly old man with a white beard helping children in need. He just brings joy to children in the world every Christmas. The thing I loved about Christmas was the carols, and the bookstore visit Big Grin

Anyway, back to the OP, I thought of another possible way the belief in God is comparable with the belief in Santa.

As children nowadays learn more about science and how the world works, children start questioning on the existence of Santa. They ask questions like "How does Santa travel to all the homes in the world in one single night?". Some adults at this point explain why Santa does not exist. But some, attempting to keep the magic alive, may explain the question, which may go along the lines of "Because Santa has a super-fast sleigh!". However, this can lead to more questioning, like "How does he not end up burning in the atmosphere?". Eventually, Santa, as explained by an adult, would be a cyborg robot from the future who can manipulate time, is extremely heat resistant, uses wormhole technology to transport gifts from the future to the present, and uses an invisibility cloak which allows the user to be undetectable by any physical means.

Similarly, as young people nowadays learn more about science and how the world works, they start questioning on the existence of God. They ask questions like "How is it possible that God created the entire universe in 7 days, when the formation of stars already involve a very long period of time?". The adults, most likely still theists themselves, will attempt to keep the faith alive, may explain the question, which may go along the lines of "You cannot take Genesis literally. The 7 days are entirely metaphorical." However, this can lead to more questioning, like, "Wait, if we cannot take Genesis literally, what's with Jesus' sacrificing himself to save us from the "original sin"?" Eventually, God, as explained by an adult, will be a being that is out of space and time, works in mysterious ways in which the human mind is unable to comprehend, cares about every single living thing in the universe, even aliens, and the only way to seek God is through introspection because there is no physical way in which you can detect the presence of God.

The end description of both God and Santa are warped more and more as people attempt to explain their existence.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
17-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I was brought up where Santa was something i only saw and heard about in Cartoons so my visual of God was always Santa combined with Ariel's Dad(from the little mermaid)...still is
17-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Theists hate comparisons to false beliefs. I've always found angry resistance when I bring up false religions and people who "know" that they are true.

Theists also like to remind us that scientists have come to consensus on issues that are false. Indeed, it has happened many times. However, science is allowed to change and fix past mistakes when better information comes along. Christianity can do that, too, to some degree (such as the move towards liberalism, a belief in a non-literal bible) but it still holds some truths as unchanging (such as God's existence). That's like changing the Santa narrative to read that Santa influences adults to buy the right gifts instead of buying and delivering them himself, but still insisting that Santa exists despite being unnecessary.

Ha! My own Santa analogy! It sure is handy.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
17-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I always thought it was the beard that they had in common with Big Grin

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.