The Satan Argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2014, 01:58 AM
The Satan Argument
One argument that Christians often use and is rarely addressed is the argument that we are being deceived by Satan. This is a totally silly argument, because you could also say that people who don't believe in Harry Potter are being deceived by Voldemort.

I remember several years ago when I went to church, a girl in my Sunday School class said that she is ignoring doubts that she's been having about the faith, because she just "knew" it was Satan tricking her. I think Christianity might not have survived so long if it wasn't for Satan and his role as a deceiver. This believe that an entity is deceiving people keeps the religious in line.

I find it ironic that the religion that says man is the center of the universe is the same one that says arrogance is a sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2014, 02:44 AM
RE: The Satan Argument
That and the fear of the unknown (after-death).

I wonder why monotheists think that their preferred texts were written / inspired by their preferred god.

From a marketing / promotional perspective, it reads more like Satan wrote the old testament ... he's the one with the lowest body count and IIRC, always told the truth.

23-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Hi,

I was under the impression that Satan was only given power by god in the book of job!

Well if you would like to ask your theist friends about the devil in some parts of the bible, then they may help you! ;-)

Or alternately you can show them, what the bible hast offer so they can feel some comfort from this wonderful book!
You can guide them to 2 Peter 2:4. and Jude 6. And you will see they are all locked up!

However, as a good skeptic and bible reader. Look at Job 1:7 and 2:2. Which you could argue it was before the fall. However, he is walking about but 1 Peter 5:8 Has him up and running about tempting us all!

There is nothing better than two side to the same argument that will help to clarify a situation!! HE,HE!!

I hope it helps!!

K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
23-07-2014, 08:48 AM
(23-07-2014 01:58 AM)cre8ivmind Wrote:  One argument that Christians often use and is rarely addressed is the argument that we are being deceived by Satan. This is a totally silly argument, because you could also say that people who don't believe in Harry Potter are being deceived by Voldemort.

The reason they don't submit to Allah and listen to Mohammad, the last and greatest prophet is because of the tricks of Iblis. One-and-a-half billion Muslims can't be wrong.

The whole notion of Satan as "The Deceiver" is just poisoning the well from the get-go before the adherent encounters any skepticism. They actually have no reason to trust YHWH, just from the Bible itself. It's a one-sided story written by "the victor". We know how accurate history books are when written only from one point of view. They have faith their god exists, faith he doesn't lie, faith that any dissenting point of view is lies from The Deceiver, and faith that all that stuff I said about Islam last paragraph is wrong.
23-07-2014, 08:57 AM
(23-07-2014 03:53 AM)JONES Wrote:  Hi,

I was under the impression that Satan was only given power by god in the book of job!

so the lord of destruction's path of destruction was sanctioned by the very god who wants to stop his path of destruction
23-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Every good hero/superhero has a super villain.

Superman has Lex Luthor
Batman has the Joker
Harry Potter has Voldemort
Frodo has Gollum
Luke Skywalker has Darth Vader
Etc.

If you just write a book about a magical man in the sky who does neat stuff, then tell people to sit in church all day and listen to fables and songs about the greatness of this magical sky-man, nobody will really care too much.

But give him an arch-villain who wants to kill you, destroy you, torture you for eternity. You and everyone else on earth. Make the arch-villain evil enough and powerful enough to really do it (as the myth goes). Now you'll get people's attention. Now they have something to fear, a reason to turn to the magical sky-man to protect them from this evil arch-villain.

Yeah, Satan is a marketing ploy, through and through.

They say the greatest trick Satan ever did was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

I say the greatest trick Christianity ever did was convincing 100 generations of gullible sheeple that Satan does exist.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
23-07-2014, 09:20 AM
(23-07-2014 01:58 AM)cre8ivmind Wrote:  One argument that Christians often use and is rarely addressed is the argument that we are being deceived by Satan. This is a totally silly argument, because you could also say that people who don't believe in Harry Potter are being deceived by Voldemort.

I remember several years ago when I went to church, a girl in my Sunday School class said that she is ignoring doubts that she's been having about the faith, because she just "knew" it was Satan tricking her. I think Christianity might not have survived so long if it wasn't for Satan and his role as a deceiver. This believe that an entity is deceiving people keeps the religious in line.

It begs the question. It assumes the existence of Satan and thus God in its premises. It is invalid. Next.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
23-07-2014, 09:43 AM
I honestly intended to start a thread about this very subject a couple days ago.

I find the "Satan" excuse to be one of the most pathetic and annoying of Christian cop outs.
23-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Its too bad Satan has such a bad rep. I mean, in the story he was honest with eve and said that she would not die if she ate the fruit...and she didn't. In fact he saved us from an eternity of "bliss" [sarcasm] in the garden. Also how many people has he killed in rage and jealousy? He also only runs the torture pit because he was forced to do so for defying god himself

Hes the good guy imo. But I guess its how you look at it.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
23-07-2014, 10:35 AM
You mean there really isn't a Satan deceiving me? Ohmy
Damn, now what excuse am I going to use at the pearly gates to explain...well, things... Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.