The Science Delusion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2013, 12:03 AM
The Science Delusion.

Wonder what people make of this?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
25-02-2013, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 01:05 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: The Science Delusion.
His entire spiel was special pleading, with no evidence to back it up. 10 dogmas? Fuck his disingenuous use of that word. He's just looking to pry open a place for his god/mysticism/spiritualism/super-naturalism to live within our current understanding. He's not happy with where the evidence points us to, or the answer of 'I don't know' whenever we don't have an honest answer.

He lost me when he started to quote C.S. Lewis...

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-02-2013, 12:56 AM
This was a joke. My posts currently take up the entirety of the visible comments, apologies to anyone that posted before for hiding your post. I just felt that I had to get what I wanted to say off my chest.

He provides no evidence, as EvolutionKills says. Probably not worth being taken seriously at all, but I felt like typing.

On a side note, what's with this theistic version of TED Talks?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

25-02-2013, 12:57 AM
[Image: WTF-dog.jpg]

1) Was that motherfucker barefoot?

2) Were his feet glued to a fake Lilly pad?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
25-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Ugh! How I coveted thee TED talks for so long... I knew one day it'd go to shit- the minute they let anyone with an opinion some access to the mic. Now I have to be on my toes and all skeptical of the new information first before I enjoy the conversation and just feel excited. Bummer.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
25-02-2013, 01:26 AM
So what he was saying about the constant speed of light and Gravity being measured and then averaged out.... is that correct or wrong?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-02-2013, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 01:56 AM by EvolutionKills.)
As far as we can tell, the constant is constant, and the definition or accuracy of measurement has changed. Also keep in mind that his entire 'story' is hearsay.

General critique of varying c cosmologies

From a very general point of view, G. Ellis expressed concerns that a varying c would require a rewrite of much of modern physics to replace the current system which depends on a constant c.[44] Ellis claimed that any varying c theory (1) must redefine distance measurements (2) must provide an alternative expression for the metric tensor in general relativity (3) might contradict Lorentz invariance (4) must modify Maxwell's equations(5) must be done consistently with respect to all other physical theories. Whether these concerns apply to the proposals of Einstein (1911) and Dicke (1957) is a matter of debate,[45] though VSL cosmologies remain out of mainstream physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light

History of measurement

The gravitational constant appears in Newton's law of universal gravitation, but it was not measured until seventy one years after Newton's death by Henry Cavendish with his Cavendish experiment, performed in 1798 (Philosophical Transactions 1798). Cavendish measured G implicitly, using a torsion balance invented by the geologist Rev. John Michell. He used a horizontal torsion beam with lead balls whose inertia (in relation to the torsion constant) he could tell by timing the beam's Consider oscillation. Their faint attraction to other balls placed alongside the beam was detectable by the deflection it caused. Cavendish's aim was not actually to measure the gravitational constant, but rather to measure the Earth's density relative to water, through the precise knowledge of the gravitational interaction. In retrospect, the density that Cavendish calculated implies a value for G of 6.754 × 10−11 m3 kg−1 s−2.[5]

The accuracy of the measured value of G has increased only modestly since the original Cavendish experiment. G is quite difficult to measure, as gravity is much weaker than other fundamental forces, and an experimental apparatus cannot be separated from the gravitational influence of other bodies. Furthermore, gravity has no established relation to other fundamental forces, so it does not appear possible to calculate it indirectly from other constants that can be measured more accurately, as is done in some other areas of physics. Published values of G have varied rather broadly, and some recent measurements of high precision are, in fact, mutually exclusive.[3][6]

In the January 5, 2007 issue of Science
(page 74), the report "Atom Interferometer Measurement of the Newtonian Constant of Gravity" (J. B. Fixler, G. T. Foster, J. M. McGuirk, and M.A. Kasevich) describes a new measurement of the gravitational constant. According to the abstract: "Here, we report a value of G = 6.693 × 10−11 cubic meters per kilogram second squared, with a standard error of the mean of ±0.027 × 10−11 and a systematic error of ±0.021 × 10−11 cubic meters per kilogram second squared."[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation...easurement

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
25-02-2013, 02:48 AM
(25-02-2013 01:26 AM)bemore Wrote:  So what he was saying about the constant speed of light and Gravity being measured and then averaged out.... is that correct or wrong?
Why couldn't it be that the speed of photon in a vacuum is not constant but randomly generated at the time the photon is created? Then just by pure happenstance, every photon whose speed in a vacuum was measured, just happened to be going at the same speed thereby "fooling" us into thinking the speed of light is a constant. Highly improbable but also not logically impossible.
If the speed of a photon is randomly determined and a multiverse of an infinite number universes exists, then there certainly universes where every instance a photons speed is measured, just by pure happenstance the measurement equals the previous measurement. Why can't we be in such a universe?

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
25-02-2013, 03:04 AM
(25-02-2013 01:03 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ugh! How I coveted thee TED talks for so long... I knew one day it'd go to shit- the minute they let anyone with an opinion some access to the mic. Now I have to be on my toes and all skeptical of the new information first before I enjoy the conversation and just feel excited. Bummer.
I agree 100%. I just lost a lot of respect for TED.

When this guy started out by saying that "Science is a Belief System" then I already knew the talk was gonna' be crap.

It's a shame.
25-02-2013, 03:13 AM
This guy is a joke. I think he is simply angry that people didn't take his dog/owner telepathy experiment seriously.

"It's not accepted by science therefore science is wrong."

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp