The Science of Internet Trolls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 09:54 AM
The Science of Internet Trolls
So actual peer reviewed research has been done on Internet Trolling (i.e., deliberately being a tool online).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...6914000324

That article is not open access, but you can read the short abstract for free. However, it was cited in another piece that is free to read:
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/20...-have-fun/

I know there are trolls on this forum, so please let me know your take on this. Because I want know, what the hell is your deal?!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rogue Jew's post
25-02-2014, 10:28 AM
RE: The Science of Internet Trolls
(25-02-2014 09:54 AM)Rouge Jew Wrote:  I know there are trolls on this forum, so please let me know your take on this. Because I want know, what the hell is your deal?!

Are you asking the trolls to reply to you ?

I'm a bit confused as to what your asking about Consider

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
25-02-2014, 10:35 AM
(25-02-2014 10:28 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 09:54 AM)Rouge Jew Wrote:  I know there are trolls on this forum, so please let me know your take on this. Because I want know, what the hell is your deal?!

Are you asking the trolls to reply to you ?

I'm a bit confused as to what your asking about Consider

Yes. Why do they do it? Why is it appealing to be anonymously discourteous?
25-02-2014, 10:41 AM
I used to post on a forum once that discussed economics, politics and society. A religious troll joined and I raised the possibility that the troll was actually an automated A.I. bot because of the repetitive things that it used to say without any real meaningful relation to what was being quoted.

At first it was just a joke but the more I looked into it the more surprised I was at just how successful the idea was. It certainly convinced many other posters. I eventually started to wonder myself whether it really was nothing more than a chatter bot responding to blocks of text that contained key words.

I would do things like post pictures of text or road signs and ask for a single bit of evidence that the user was a real person. I only ever received the same generic answers that could be applied to anything. The user got banned for being a bot after being asked on multiple occasions what the capital of Russia was and never once responding in a meaningful manner.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
25-02-2014, 10:50 AM
(25-02-2014 10:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I used to post on a forum once that discussed economics, politics and society. A religious troll joined and I raised the possibility that the troll was actually an automated A.I. bot because of the repetitive things that it used to say without any real meaningful relation to what was being quoted.

At first it was just a joke but the more I looked into it the more surprised I was at just how successful the idea was. It certainly convinced many other posters. I eventually started to wonder myself whether it really was nothing more than a chatter bot responding to blocks of text that contained key words.

I would do things like post pictures of text or road signs and ask for a single bit of evidence that the user was a real person. I only ever received the same generic answers that could be applied to anything. The user got banned for being a bot after being asked on multiple occasions what the capital of Russia was and never once responding in a meaningful manner.

It's in situations like that when I freak out about the inevitable robot apocalypse Gasp

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
25-02-2014, 11:03 AM
(25-02-2014 10:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I used to post on a forum once that discussed economics, politics and society. A religious troll joined and I raised the possibility that the troll was actually an automated A.I. bot because of the repetitive things that it used to say without any real meaningful relation to what was being quoted.

I encountered something like that on Youtube...

Truth seeker.
25-02-2014, 11:41 AM
(25-02-2014 11:03 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  I encountered something like that on Youtube...

Said the troll. Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like War Horse's post
25-02-2014, 12:34 PM
(25-02-2014 10:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  ...
asked on multiple occasions what the capital of Russia was and never once responding in a meaningful manner.

The Ruble?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
25-02-2014, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2014 02:31 PM by War Horse.)
(25-02-2014 12:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 10:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  ...
asked on multiple occasions what the capital of Russia was and never once responding in a meaningful manner.

The Ruble?

Shouldnt you be on "the first time drug experience" thread Huh

25-02-2014, 01:58 PM
(25-02-2014 10:50 AM)nach_in Wrote:  

It's in situations like that when I freak out about the inevitable robot apocalypse Gasp

The singularity is coming... Prepare now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user