The Scripture Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 10:14 AM
RE: The Scripture Problem
(24-04-2015 10:06 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 09:46 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Not too mention all the God sanctioned killings in the Bible alone.

Certainly. But one could chalk it to Bible not being accurate in depicting god true character. Tragedy of XX century leave no place for argument, to me at least.

Actually, the violence of the 20th century supports the human origin of the Bible - it is a description of all-too-human violence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-04-2015, 10:25 AM
(24-04-2015 10:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 10:06 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Certainly. But one could chalk it to Bible not being accurate in depicting god true character. Tragedy of XX century leave no place for argument, to me at least.

Actually, the violence of the 20th century supports the human origin of the Bible - it is a description of all-too-human violence.

Of course. I meant that despicable acts commited by god in Bible could be explained somehow, maybe not convicingly but still. Bible killings could shatter image of benevolent god, but I think it leave some room for argument. On the other hand violence of 20th century leaves no such room, in my opinion at least. Violence on such scale should clearly show absurdity of assuming existence of benevolent god.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2015, 10:28 AM
(24-04-2015 10:25 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 10:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  Actually, the violence of the 20th century supports the human origin of the Bible - it is a description of all-too-human violence.

Of course. I meant that despicable acts commited by god in Bible could be explained somehow, maybe not convicingly but still. Bible killings could shatter image of benevolent god, but I think it leave some room for argument. On the other hand violence of 20th century leaves no such room, in my opinion at least. Violence on such scale should clearly show absurdity of assuming existence of benevolent god.

Oh, gotcha. I misunderstood.
I thought you were saying that the violence of the 20th century made criticism of the violence in the Bible invalid.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Quote:Am I correct in assuming that

P1. An omniscient being wouldn't reveal himself

I don't know. I've never seen any evidence for an omniscient being. He might do anything from speaking Swahili to shitting marbles. Who can say?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
24-04-2015, 10:44 AM
(24-04-2015 10:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 10:25 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Of course. I meant that despicable acts commited by god in Bible could be explained somehow, maybe not convicingly but still. Bible killings could shatter image of benevolent god, but I think it leave some room for argument. On the other hand violence of 20th century leaves no such room, in my opinion at least. Violence on such scale should clearly show absurdity of assuming existence of benevolent god.

Oh, gotcha. I misunderstood.
I thought you were saying that the violence of the 20th century made criticism of the violence in the Bible invalid.

Well, english isn't my first language, so maybe this has something to do with misunderstanding.
As for the violence I could not find reason for which 20th century violence would made criticism of Bible brutality invalid. Sure, Bible can't compare with Shoah but verses it contains certainly don't help with assumption that god depicted there is omnibenevolent.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.