"The Secret" (aka Law of Attraction)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2013, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2013 08:07 PM by UndercoverAtheist.)
Question "The Secret" (aka Law of Attraction)
Have any of you heard of the law of attraction?

The law of attraction is the name given to the belief that "like attracts like" and that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, one can bring about positive or negative results.[1][2][3][4] This belief is based upon the idea that people and their thoughts are both made from pure energy, and the belief that like energy attracts like energy.[citation needed] One example used by a proponent of the law of attraction is that if a person opened an envelope expecting to see a bill, then the law of attraction would "confirm" those thoughts and contain a bill when opened. A person who decided to instead expect a cheque might, under the same law, find a cheque instead of a bill.[5]

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction

If it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is.

Something in me just wishes that it could be true, because it has "worked" for so many others.

I just think that if you have a positive look on life then you will recognize the positive things that come to you. This whole "if you tell the universe you want it you will get it" thing is a bit far fetched though.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 09:00 PM
RE: "The Secret" (aka Law of Attraction)
(11-07-2013 08:39 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  Have any of you heard of the law of attraction?

The law of attraction is the name given to the belief that "like attracts like" and that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, one can bring about positive or negative results.[1][2][3][4] This belief is based upon the idea that people and their thoughts are both made from pure energy, and the belief that like energy attracts like energy.[citation needed] One example used by a proponent of the law of attraction is that if a person opened an envelope expecting to see a bill, then the law of attraction would "confirm" those thoughts and contain a bill when opened. A person who decided to instead expect a cheque might, under the same law, find a cheque instead of a bill.[5]

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction

If it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is.

Something in me just wishes that it could be true, because it has "worked" for so many others.

I just think that if you have a positive look on life then you will recognize the positive things that come to you. This whole "if you tell the universe you want it you will get it" thing is a bit far fetched though.

What do you think?

Woo, pure and simple. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Right. All those starving, dying children around the world just didn't wish hard enough.

... this is my signature!
[+] 9 users Like cjlr's post
11-07-2013, 09:10 PM
(11-07-2013 08:39 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  If it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is.

Sounds like you've pretty much got it figured out! Wishful thinking + confirmation bias = woo.

... this is my signature!
11-07-2013, 09:29 PM
My poor kid came home from visiting her moms with this nonsense pumped into her head. It was a few years back, but the poor kid was pretty pissed at her mom after that one.

It is as absurd and silly as Scientology.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-07-2013, 09:31 PM
If you take anything from it, it is that people are more receptive to people who have a POSITIVE attitude, than those who are negative. Think of the movie "Yes man" - although the rest is a bunch of bullshit woo. But being a positive person is a good thing, usually.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
25-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Glad I stumbled upon this thread. Made me step back and take a look at the law of attraction's claims.

"I just think that if you have a positive look on life then you will recognize the positive things that come to you. This whole "if you tell the universe you want it you will get it" thing is a bit far fetched though."

This makes perfect sense to me.

Your citizen Atheist
25-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Those who believe in the law of attraction, usually forget two things.
- Matter has a great inertia and it takes a lot of pure energy to move it. It's a condensed energy, after all. My dad, who believes in it, says it takes half a year to 2 years of focused intention to manifest a wish, depending on practice.
Also, what if it's already attracted by someone else's energy? Smile

- People are a part of the universe and they can not stand back and watch it happen, they got this idea from science, that they can do it like a lab experiment. People must act and get their shit done.

Nonetheless, we all had some weird but helpful coincidences in our life and people like Christians seem to have more of them, so I heard from them.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
25-08-2013, 06:22 PM
One of the creators/promoters of The Secret is a CEO for LuLuLemon (yoga clothing company). I've heard some sketchy things about how LLL employees are treated (brainwashed) into lower wages though 'positivity', etc.
25-08-2013, 06:45 PM
"Have any of you heard of the law of attraction?"

"I just think that if you have a positive look on life then you will recognize the positive things that come to you."

There were people, in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, who woke up to evil, delivered, by man.

Positive thoughts? Pretty weak argument for them. Don't you think?