"The Secret" (aka Law of Attraction)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2013, 06:52 PM
RE: "The Secret" (aka Law of Attraction)
I'm going to say something my dear grandmother used say when I started whining "Honey child, people in this life wants a lot of stuff. Don't mean they gonna get it. Why baby, folks in Hell would shol' like themselves a cup of ice water. Now go get granny her scrap basket."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
25-08-2013, 06:59 PM
(11-07-2013 09:31 PM)Logisch Wrote:  If you take anything from it, it is that people are more receptive to people who have a POSITIVE attitude, than those who are negative. Think of the movie "Yes man" - although the rest is a bunch of bullshit woo. But being a positive person is a good thing, usually.

Until you get overly positive and creepy like Barney and Mr.Rogers. I'm not sure what it is but overly positive tend to freak out society. We usually start thinking hide the children and sharp objects.
25-08-2013, 08:19 PM
(11-07-2013 08:39 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I just think that if you have a positive look on life then you will recognize the positive things that come to you.

This I agree with. People who think negatively don't see the positive, so they don't recognize the positives (or the opportunities) that come their way.

If anything, you can train yourself to look for and recognize positive things and opportunities.

Beyond that its all woo.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Not CBT. More of a "I came over here in a boat and now I OWN THREE BOATS!!!" money making scheme.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
27-08-2013, 08:41 PM
The only "Power of positive {fill in blank}" that I'm for is the Power of Positive Drinking.

For moral reasons I'm an atheist. I'm of the opinion that you would recognize a creator by his creation, & the world appears to me to be put together in such a painful way that I prefer to believe that it was not created by anyone than to think that somebody created this intentionally. - Stanislaw Lem
02-09-2013, 01:23 AM
That book (and its series) has been remarkably popular in many countries. I've seen workshops and gatherings in various places with people yammering on about the "Law of Attraction" and they actually have a lot of people attending.

Bullshit.

My blog: http://nomereape.tumblr.com/
02-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Total nonsense. It's just one of the many things that appeal to people who can't think critically.....that's most of the world, unfortunately.

My ex-girlfriend became a huge fan of this crap - as well as every other type of woo. It was a big part of why we split up.
02-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Frequent masturbation. That's the secret. Got a SO, even better. Thumbsup

In terms of tao, yeah, there's a natural beat you can groove to; but what usually happens, is the rational mind steps in, and rationalizes shit... and ya write books about it. Rather than doing it.

What is it? Well, sitting here running my neck, it ain't.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-09-2013, 08:03 AM
(25-08-2013 06:59 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Until you get overly positive and creepy like Barney and Mr.Rogers.

Mr. Rogers was a bad ass. I'm sorry he was too positive for you but he taught kids to love and respect themselves. He was a minister who did not preach on TV.

This just seems like replacing Jesus/Mithras/Allah/Zeus/Jupiter/Juno/Mars/Osiris/Mr. T/Ol’ Dirty Bastard/Orpheus/etc with the universe, without the guilt, servitude, etc that comes along with that good old religion. If you listen to scam artists like Joel Olsteen he keeps telling his followers that if they just ask Jesus for what they want, he will deliver. Just ask him hard enough and do enough toward that goal and you’ll get what you want.

For moral reasons I'm an atheist. I'm of the opinion that you would recognize a creator by his creation, & the world appears to me to be put together in such a painful way that I prefer to believe that it was not created by anyone than to think that somebody created this intentionally. - Stanislaw Lem
02-09-2013, 08:29 AM
(25-08-2013 06:45 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  "Have any of you heard of the law of attraction?"

"I just think that if you have published a book called "A Positive Look on Life" then you will recognize on your bank account the positive things that come to you."

Here. I fixed that for you.