The Secular Case Against Gay Marriage: Is there one?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-06-2013, 10:30 AM
RE: The Secular Case Against Gay Marriage: Is there one?
(29-06-2013 10:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  As a result, the overall testosterone level in humans will rapidly decrease, reducing world violence and such bringing the globe into a giant utopian paradise of gayness.

You and I both know that there ain't no meaner, crueler and otherwise scarier bitch slapping cat fight than two gay men because one cheated on the other.
Shocking

Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-06-2013, 11:23 AM
(29-06-2013 10:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 10:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  As a result, the overall testosterone level in humans will rapidly decrease, reducing world violence and such bringing the globe into a giant utopian paradise of gayness.

You and I both know that there ain't no meaner, crueler and otherwise scarier bitch slapping cat fight than two gay men because one cheated on the other.
Shocking

Tongue

I honestly have no idea...
I don't know any gay guys.

But it wont matter because the gay guys would be married to women, not other gay guys.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
29-06-2013, 01:31 PM
(28-06-2013 12:13 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  "Society isn't ready"

I hope you laughed when they said that. "Society isn't ready" is always shorthand for "I don't like it but know I will sound like a bigot if I say so."
29-06-2013, 01:44 PM
The Secular Case Against Gay Marriage: Is there one?
Marriage of any kind is solely a remnant of old religious practices, there is nothing secular about its origins.

Today, the idea that love only is real if a church or state gives its permission is a stupid belief to have.

Stupid+old+religious=not necessary for society and doesn't help society in any way.
[+] 2 users Like I and I's post
29-06-2013, 02:07 PM
(29-06-2013 01:31 PM)Houndentenor Wrote:  
(28-06-2013 12:13 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  "Society isn't ready"

I hope you laughed when they said that. "Society isn't ready" is always shorthand for "I don't like it but know I will sound like a bigot if I say so."

You are too n00b to pass judgment. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-06-2013, 08:43 AM
(29-06-2013 01:44 PM)I and I Wrote:  Marriage of any kind is solely a remnant of old religious practices, there is nothing secular about its origins.

Today, the idea that love only is real if a church or state gives its permission is a stupid belief to have.

Stupid+old+religious=not necessary for society and doesn't help society in any way.

No, marriage is not of religious origin. Religion was tacked on.

Pair-bonding is of evolutionary origin.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-06-2013, 09:22 AM
(30-06-2013 08:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-06-2013 01:44 PM)I and I Wrote:  Marriage of any kind is solely a remnant of old religious practices, there is nothing secular about its origins.

The religious aspect is very recent as it has always been a property transaction. Thats why it is state governed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-06-2013, 10:23 AM
No, there aren't.

[Image: giphy.gif]
30-06-2013, 03:58 PM
(30-06-2013 08:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  

You can have pair bonding without marriage...
Evolution doesn't explain marriage.
Religious principles (doesn't have to be Christianity, can mean early religions in primitive cultures) does explain marriage.

Though in saying that, I can see marriage being originally for the purpose of politics.
ie: You can marry my daughter and our tribes become allied and if we betray you you can just kill the bitch.
Sort of like a political prisoner sort of origin that over time developed rituals and such.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
30-06-2013, 04:03 PM
(30-06-2013 03:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You can have pair bonding without marriage...
Evolution doesn't explain marriage.

No it doesn't, nevertheless we find in nature creatures that pair exclusively for life. Just saying....Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco