The Self-Centeredness Made Me Sad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2013, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 06:58 PM by TheMrBillShow.)
The Self-Centeredness Made Me Sad
I recently saw a post from a friend on facebook thanking god for money showing up from an unexpected source. This money allowed for the paying of a bill which would have otherwise created a large-sized hardship.

I monitored this thread as the day progressed. I witnessed responder after responder "praise Jesus" and "thank God" for this display of great divine providence. Surely, this good fortune bore witness to the handiwork of the divine. This was evidence of God working in the life of his children.

Still more responders, and still more "Praise the Father" and "Jesus surely loves you" responses.

As I read these, I became more and more sad. I thought of a talk Sam Harris gave where he mentioned how many children starve to death everyday and how desperately the parents of these children must have called out to somebody- something- to save their child.

And I thought how self-centered and morally immature one must be to think that the CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE would make a hundred dollars show up in the life of an individual living a life (however challenging it might be) in an advanced first-world country and at the same time, ignore the pleas of even one parent of one starving child, fated to die of hunger.

It made me sad. It ruined the day. That a person could be that narrow of mind, that morally obtuse, made me painfully sad.

Even today, a person posts a picture of a rainbow and proclaims it "God smiling on us." Great. A person living in an American suburb receives this divine artwork while still more of the world's poor get to watch their children die miserably.

A god who would create a rainbow for the entertainment of comparatively wealthy Americans while not bothering to save even a small number of starving children today is NOT worthy of my respect or consideration, to say nothing of "worship." Piffle.

Grow up people. Please.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
12-02-2013, 06:44 PM
RE: The Self-Centeredness Made Me Sad
Sadly, the ego is a horrible, horrible master. We might have removed Earth from the centre of the Universe, but we will never remove "I" from it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
12-02-2013, 08:03 PM
RE: The Self-Centeredness Made Me Sad
You're preaching to the choir son.
Preach to this narrowminded theists on facebook instead.
More fun that way too.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]