The Senate just voted to undo landmark rules covering your Internet privacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 09:01 AM
RE: The Senate just voted to undo landmark rules covering your Internet privacy
Ad blocking and VPNs are separate things. Some companies sell both solutions, but don't confuse them.

My wife and I had a discussion about this last night and decided that we don't care enough about this to add more moving parts to our networking right now. But if the US drifts too far in the direction of fascism and people begin to be targeted for their Internet associations and activity, given that we have been active in promoting progressive causes, we might use a VPN to drop out of sight and kill our rabbit trails.

VPNs mean that your traffic is redirected through the VPN provider's servers, and encrypted end-to-end. Encryption and virtual IP endpoints have a nonzero cost in performance. I might not notice it (much) given my 150 mb/sec Internet service at home, but reduced latency (time for packets to get to and from you and what you're actually looking at on the Internet) is going to manifest no matter how fast your connection is. How close the nearest VPN server is to your physical location has a big impact on performance.

Poking around on forums of different VPN sites, I see FAQs about things like, if Google sees that you have an IP address that they know belongs to a VPN provider, they have less confidence that you're a real person (you could be a hacker trying to obfuscate your identity through a VPN) so you will get more of those "captcha" forms asking you to input cryptic distorted alphanumerics before you can proceed with activities such as logging into gmail, that previously, didn't have this extra step. Knowing how sloppy the thinking of many of my fellow programmers can be, and how much technical debt they accrue with shortcuts to meet arbitrarily imposed deadlines and resource constraints, there must be a lot of sites that assume too much about VPNs or don't factor them into the user experience. So I can predict that by adding a VPN, you will experience some nonzero level of inconvenience like this, too.

You have to be willing to spend perhaps $100+ per year to protect all your devices and to patiently work through the inevitable headaches. You have to be willing to make turning off your VPN the first troubleshooting step when, say, your credit card site suddenly doesn't recognize your userid and password and keeps looping you back to the login page without comment*. We just aren't there yet, but might be, down the road.

* This happens to me even WITHOUT a VPN, I have to log in with a different browser and sometimes close all browsers and reopen one and try again, to get in. And this is a major company site. I hate to think what additional issues a VPN would cause.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
06-04-2017, 11:06 PM
And now we have this bit of unsettling news, you might not be able to criticize the government anonymously anymore if it has its way with Twitter.

The government is demanding to know who this Trump critic is. Twitter is suing to keep it a secret.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-04-2017, 11:32 PM
(06-04-2017 11:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  And now we have this bit of unsettling news, you might not be able to criticize the government anonymously anymore if it has its way with Twitter.

The government is demanding to know who this Trump critic is. Twitter is suing to keep it a secret.

When both the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the American Civil Liberties Union are aligned against you, you done fucked up.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-04-2017, 07:16 AM
(06-04-2017 11:32 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 11:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  And now we have this bit of unsettling news, you might not be able to criticize the government anonymously anymore if it has its way with Twitter.

When both the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the American Civil Liberties Union are aligned against you, you done fucked up you are a fascist capitalist running dog.

fixt.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post