The Settlers of Catan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2012, 09:58 PM
The Settlers of Catan
Really cool game. Anybody play?

[Image: 3151164310_eae052cf4c.jpg]

If you quote Derrial Book and say 'She don't look like much', then you're definitely like me... before I played it. It is complicated to start out with, for the rules, but if you have an experienced player show you the ropes, the game runs more smoothly. The goal is to get points with how big your settlement grows. Once a settlement reaches past the predetermined number first, they win. It's a D6 board game, and is probably too complicated for me to really write down accurately. Simply put, you acquire resources, upgrade your resources to make standards of living better for your settlement, expand your settlement, trade resources with players, and can risk losing resources by a bandit/pirate. There are several expansions, and every game is different, since you lay out the map differently every time.

Hobo WARNING Hobo
Highly addictive game WoW has nothing on this. Wink

CTS
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
10-07-2012, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 10:09 PM by bemore.)
RE: The Settlers of Catan
Im more of a monopoly man myself, but I have heard of your Catan game before....... cant remember where though Consider

Is there an updated computer version do you know??? Im gonna have a google now and see Smile

EDIT: Apparently you can play against other people (and computer AI) for free on this site

http://www.playcatan.com/

Im gonna have a go tommorow Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Hope you have a blast! I preffer playing with friends. The Pwnage value lasts a lot longer. I never tried the online version because I'm on another persons wifi and it's too slow.

It was probably an 'in the basement' ST:OS Trekkie who called via a rotary phone who hadn't been seen for years. Oh, wait, that was me. Note the WAS. I've seen the light and have had to squint since then.

CTS
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm in. Bemore, get a forum game started for us!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-07-2012, 10:26 PM
There's another game that I think the same company put out, called Puerto Rico. Love that game! But it seems to take a certain sort of person to enjoy those sorts of games and sadly there are a dearth of those folks in my recent life.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Huzzah!

Free game and the nickname I chose was Cheap. Because there wasn't enough room for my full one.

Haven't tried Puerto Rico. Does it look the same?
10-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Puerto Rico deals with growing and selling crops to afford building plantations and buying slaves...er...servants as the game calls them.

10-07-2012, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 10:42 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
The games seem similar to a degree. 'Hey, kids, do you want to play a game that reenacts a time of oppression and unrest? THEN GO CLEAN YOUR ROOM FIRST!'

Ah crap, the site's in German! How to bypass that? Shocking

...and it's dead in the water.
10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
(10-07-2012 10:38 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  The games seem similar to a degree. 'Hey, kids, do you want to play a game that reenacts a time of oppression and unrest? THEN GO CLEAN YOUR ROOM FIRST!'

Ah crap, the site's in German! How to bypass that? Shocking

...and it's dead in the water.

Yeah, there's apparently a genre of German games that are awesomely different than your typical board games. There are different strategies you can employ to win. Usually things like wealth or resources or territories.

Back in the dark ages when I was a pastor, I had a group of nerdy college and high school kids I could entice to play with me just about very week. It's been years since, I've played though. Sad

10-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Standards have gone down in the education system so luck in finding
actual nerds are rare. Here's a tip: yell RED SHIRT and whoever turns to
look at you is probably a good candidate. Thumbsup

CTS
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post