The Singularity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Bug The Singularity
What I am wondering is : what are the religionists going to do with their paradigm when ...

1. a complex robot is found to be "self-aware",
2. a nano-technology implant/link improves human intelligence by a logarhythmic amount, (the US Navy already has that technology),

3. an intelligence, far advanced from ours is found in the cosmos ?

The old BS of "man is created in god's image" will be further shot to hell, as "it" will be seen to have done a poor job of the "creation in his image", if it could have been improved so much.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-12-2011, 09:59 AM
RE: The Singularity
1. The prophet Schwarzenegger warned us of this! Now we wait for his return as was prophesied when he said "I'll be back." All hail Arnold!
2. That would be awesome.
3. Why do people always want to find intelligent life? As if any kind of life wouldn't be cool enough.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
24-12-2011, 10:11 AM
(24-12-2011 09:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What I am wondering is : what are the religionists going to do with their paradigm when ...

2. a nano-technology implant/link improves human intelligence by a logarhythmic amount, (the US Navy already has that technology),

The old BS of "man is created in god's image" will be further shot to hell, as "it" will be seen to have done a poor job of the "creation in his image", if it could have been improved so much.

No matter how small the gap is, someone of faith will jam some weirdness into it.
Happens every time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like TalladegaTom's post
24-12-2011, 10:17 AM
(24-12-2011 09:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What I am wondering is : what are the religionists going to do with their paradigm when ...

Self awareness has already been shown to exist in dolphins and some other primates. It would be fun to try to explain to a Bonobo ape why you are going to hell, and it is not going anywhere. Ha ha. Rolleyes

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
[+] 3 users Like San Onofre Surfer's post
24-12-2011, 11:03 AM

they would just come up with stupid logic like they always do... somthing along of the lines of....

1. Give God the glory. Since man was created in his image we have the abilities "through God" to create a robot that is self-aware .. but it won't have a soul.
2. Mark of the beast!
3. God created them too and Jesus died for their sins as well.

see.. just answer your speculations with 'stupid' and they'll keep on collecting their tithes.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
24-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Grade: F

Head plus sand equals god, donchu know the math? Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-12-2011, 12:27 PM
My guess is they'll simply deny that the intelligence is conscious; as far as I know it's not possible to prove anything besides yourself is conscious.
26-12-2011, 12:54 PM
(26-12-2011 12:27 PM)Ben Wrote:  My guess is they'll simply deny that the intelligence is conscious; as far as I know it's not possible to prove anything besides yourself is conscious.

Ya but ...
At some point there will have to be criteria established, (for consciousness). Would you question the fact that your mom and dad are conscious ? There must already be unwritten criteria that we don't think about. We assume we are. We assume other humans are, (well..more or less :dodgySmile. When the intelligence can out-manover us in mental ability, in every way, there will be at least questions raised. But no doubt, denial will be rampant.

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
26-12-2011, 05:28 PM
(26-12-2011 12:54 PM)San Onofre Surfer Wrote:  
(26-12-2011 12:27 PM)Ben Wrote:  My guess is they'll simply deny that the intelligence is conscious; as far as I know it's not possible to prove anything besides yourself is conscious.

Ya but ...
At some point there will have to be criteria established, (for consciousness). Would you question the fact that your mom and dad are conscious ? There must already be unwritten criteria that we don't think about. We assume we are. We assume other humans are, (well..more or less :dodgySmile. When the intelligence can out-manover us in mental ability, in every way, there will be at least questions raised. But no doubt, denial will be rampant.

One method of testing to see if a machine might be conscious in a human-like way is called the Turing test. Still, anyone who is a mind-body dualist might just say it is like a philosophical zombie.
26-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Hmm... I think a theist will say...
1) God guided the inventors' hands/ Proof that God can grant non-living things awareness and thus life.
2) God guided the inventors' hands/ Will still never reach the level's of God's wisdom.
3) God loves all beings, even extraterrestrial ones.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ