The Sins of the Father

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2012, 12:03 AM
The Sins of the Father
This question is posed more towards the free thinking parents out there. How do you help your children adapt (if they too are free thinkers) in a religious society? I have a 9 year old that is regularly belittled in school strictly for not being a Christian, kids have told her that they cannot play with her because she doesn't go to church. My wife and I can handle the bigotry fine but it is heart wrenching seeing a child having to go through it when she hasn't come to the age of critical thought yet to deduct and reason what is best for her regarding her faith, or lack there of.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2012, 04:24 AM
RE: The Sins of the Father
That is just arse…
So much for the “love thy neighbour” the hypocritical small minded short sighted bigoted tosses.
Tell her to tell the brainwashed vermin to go fuck themselves with the prickly end of a rake and to tell their parents much the same.
This just sickens me, “believe what we do or be friendless”
Anyway, rant over…

Try getting her into some clubs, try martial arts or ballet, something not associated with her school.
She may need to learn a little discretion, she shouldn’t have to but then again it will help her later in life too.
If nothing else she’ll harbour some suspicion toward the very thing they are trying to coerce her into.
Not all bad…

My daughter had a few issues at school but it’s not anywhere near as bad down here as it is in some places.
And she can be endlessly patient and creative when it suits her…

Wish her the best

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
04-02-2012, 08:49 AM
I'd say I can't believe it that people are bullying a 9 year old girl over religion, but unfortunately I can. Angry

Would the school administrators be on your side if you talked to them? You might try talking to them about the situation, although that could obviously make it worse depending on what type of people you're dealing with.
04-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Teach her scripture.
Seriously. A few quotes from Jesus on the subject of good conduct toward one's brethren, preferably one appropriate to each of the [predictable] jibes, with chapter and verse reference, should give the so-called christians pause. And if the xtian kids then go home and question their bigoted parents, so much the better. Even if nothing puts them in their place, forcing the young ones to think can do no harm..

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 4 users Like Peterkin's post
04-02-2012, 09:25 AM
This is one of the things that terrifies me about having kids too. If and when I do, I hope I can deal with this kind of ostracism, especially in a country where every school is a Catholic school.

Karl's ideas seem to be good. Maybe you can get together with other atheists in your area who have kids your daughter's age.

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this, Grux.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
04-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Of course, there is always home-schooling. You can get right to the science without wading through all the creationist bs, and teach grammar without jingoist platitudes.

04-02-2012, 10:24 AM
(04-02-2012 12:03 AM)Grux33 Wrote:  This question is posed more towards the free thinking parents out there. How do you help your children adapt (if they too are free thinkers) in a religious society? I have a 9 year old that is regularly belittled in school strictly for not being a Christian, kids have told her that they cannot play with her because she doesn't go to church. My wife and I can handle the bigotry fine but it is heart wrenching seeing a child having to go through it when she hasn't come to the age of critical thought yet to deduct and reason what is best for her regarding her faith, or lack there of.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Sadly, Christianity never fails to spread intolerance. I was raised quite secularly and experienced a small amount of this as a very young child but it wasn't really painful, as I recall. It may seem a bit heartbreaking but some of this is necessary for any child - it's how they figure out for themselves how to get along in the world. However, it might be a little harder on you than it is on her. Undecided

I would suggest it will make everyone feel better when she comes home with such disparaging information, to praise her for her tolerance of them. Continually praise her for being strong and self reliant. Praise her uniqueness and her imagination - praise her admirable attributes and the qualities you hope she acquires.

Advise her that she is in the right and they are just simply wrong and that one day, they will regret their sad behavior. Let her know that these children are restricted from understanding the world and enjoying the same wonderful things which she will always have in her life. She is gifted -she is not lacking in any way.

Do not let this behavior go unanswered for your child; continually talk to her and spend time with her. Those other children lack attention from their parents, and are taking it out on other children. It's very understandable when one realizes that people use Jesus as their baby-sitter. This is a poor substitute for love and understanding.

A friend of mine with a 10 year old boy, is only just now beginning to see how well behaved his own little hellion is, compared to the home-schooled, self righteous, bible thumper kids in his family. He, and his own believer Mom, are now extremely grateful he's chosen a non-Theist life for his monster child. Apparently, the Christ-y cousins continually demolish Grandma's house, while the heathen child is helpful, mannered, and entertainingly inquisitive.

As for you, parent; buck up -you got a good kid!! Never fail to let her know she is loved and supported, and she will be ok. She'll find her own way, because you're giving her the tools to make her own way. Smile

I know; I was there. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-02-2012, 01:49 PM
(04-02-2012 09:59 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Of course, there is always home-schooling. You can get right to the science without wading through all the creationist bs, and teach grammar without jingoist platitudes.

I enjoy the irony of this. I don't think I could count how many Fundies I know who have chosen home-schooling for the exact same reason: only because of the opposite ideology. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
(04-02-2012 12:03 AM)Grux33 Wrote:  This question is posed more towards the free thinking parents out there.

Grux, I'd approach this first like you would for any other type of problem in the school area. Have you tried some of the basic stuff, like discussing it with the teacher(s), school counselor or perhaps a parent or two? Does the school offer mediation for students?
08-02-2012, 12:45 AM
(04-02-2012 01:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I enjoy the irony of this. I don't think I could count how many Fundies I know who have chosen home-schooling for the exact same reason: only because of the opposite ideology. Big Grin
That's just it. They thought they could 'protect' their children from a world-view they didn't like by keeping them out of school. Except, of course, that those children were not in danger of anything worse than having their minds opened. Now we have to protect our children from them - and the danger is, quite literally, having their heads opened.