The Skin Care Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 08:29 PM
The Skin Care Thread
Hello everyone. I'm creating this thread in order to provide a nice atmosphere for people to share skin care tips, recommendations, products, etc. Recently, I have become more interested in taking better care of my skin (I have oily/sensitive skin and a tan/olive complexion) and have purchased a clinique face wash along with a Clarins moisturizer. However, I must admit that I'm not sure of what I'm doing, as I've never been one for cosmetics/aesthetics. Hence, my main goal is to learn the basics that are requisite for good skin care. Does anyone have any pointers or tips? Thanks and live long and prosper.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
25-12-2016, 08:39 PM
RE: The Skin Care Thread
I use organic skin care products with natural ingredients if I can because they tend to be better for your skin, particularly if you have allergic reactions to anything.

I use a daily face wash in the shower most days, but a few times a week, I alternate that with an apricot facial scrub. I use a toner after washing my face and then about an hour or so later, I apply a vitamin c moisturizer.

I also use a clay mask one to two times a week. In addition, I use an eye cream on occasion that helps keep your eyes looking fresh. I typically use that at night.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-12-2016, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2016 09:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
DMAE. It's like a facelift in a cream.

#sigh
25-12-2016, 09:00 PM
I know quite a lot about skin care. Boy do I have some skin care stories but it might not be relevant to what you want to know.

I used to have extremely oily skin. I think I could have stuck a oil derrick in my skin and pumped out enough oil to run a car. Makeup would just slide off my face. Laugh out load Mascara would slide off my lashes onto my cheeks and I looked like a raccoon. Hahaha. Oh, it's very funny now but it wasn't funny at the time.

I used to have lots of breakouts and had to wash my face several times a day. It was crazy. Sometimes I washed my hair twice a day because my hair got oily too. It actually interfered with my social life. One great upside of having extremely oily skin is that it's not prone to wrinkles. Thumbsup Whoop-de-doo. Anyway, I finally went to a dermatologist who wrote me a prescription for Retin A which I've used for the last two decades with great success.

Use sunscreen. It seems like there is more skin cancer than there used to be and it runs in my family so I wear it everyday but I had to get a sunscreen that wasn't oily so the dermatologist wrote me a special prescription for a non oily sunscreen too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-12-2016, 09:15 PM
(25-12-2016 09:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I know quite a lot about skin care. Boy do I have some skin care stories but it might not be relevant to what you want to know.

I used to have extremely oily skin. I think I could have stuck a oil derrick in my skin and pumped out enough oil to run a car. Makeup would just slide off my face. Laugh out load Mascara would slide off my lashes onto my cheeks and I looked like a raccoon. Hahaha. Oh, it's very funny now but it wasn't funny at the time.

I used to have lots of breakouts and had to wash my face several times a day. It was crazy. Sometimes I washed my hair twice a day because my hair got oily too. It actually interfered with my social life. One great upside of having extremely oily skin is that it's not prone to wrinkles. Thumbsup Whoop-de-doo. Anyway, I finally went to a dermatologist who wrote me a prescription for Retin A which I've used for the last two decades with great success.

Use sunscreen. It seems like there is more skin cancer than there used to be and it runs in my family so I wear it everyday but I had to get a sunscreen that wasn't oily so the dermatologist wrote me a special prescription for a non oily sunscreen too.

Yes to the sunscreen moisturizer. Great point!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
25-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Do not cut or burn skin.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
25-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Speaking of burning, that's actually a real skin-care tip. Avoid the sun like the plague! Use sun screen all over your face and neck, and don't forget your ears. -Or just pretend you're a vampire and will turn to dust if exposed to direct sunlight. Take a vitamin D supplement instead. Your 60 year old self will thank you.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
26-12-2016, 12:00 AM
(25-12-2016 10:56 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Speaking of burning, that's actually a real skin-care tip. Avoid the sun like the plague! Use sun screen all over your face and neck, and don't forget your ears. -Or just pretend you're a vampire and will turn to dust if exposed to direct sunlight. Take a vitamin D supplement instead. Your 60 year old self will thank you.

When I visited Florida a few years ago I noticed ladies whose skin didn't look like it has ever seen a bottle of sunscreen. OMG. It reminded me of the tanned lady in There's Something About Mary.

[Image: 0bbbf52c8eac32a8c3c71b1e6ab353f7.jpg]

or this person and this person is REAL, it's not Hollywood makeup. Gasp

[Image: b8f04666d94cec07ad1c4d84666dffcf.jpg]

Here. Have a bottle of eye bleach.

[Image: aD9fo0e.png]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
26-12-2016, 05:00 AM
My ex wife had this friend she hung out with that tanned excessively.

Then she got into tattoos........

20 years later -- she looks like an old boot some kid scribbled on with an ink pen.....

Fetching dahling... positively fetching......

[/dry heaving]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-12-2016, 06:58 AM
(26-12-2016 12:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 10:56 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Speaking of burning, that's actually a real skin-care tip. Avoid the sun like the plague! Use sun screen all over your face and neck, and don't forget your ears. -Or just pretend you're a vampire and will turn to dust if exposed to direct sunlight. Take a vitamin D supplement instead. Your 60 year old self will thank you.

When I visited Florida a few years ago I noticed ladies whose skin didn't look like it has ever seen a bottle of sunscreen. OMG. It reminded me of the tanned lady in There's Something About Mary.

[Image: 0bbbf52c8eac32a8c3c71b1e6ab353f7.jpg]

or this person and this person is REAL, it's not Hollywood makeup. Gasp

[Image: b8f04666d94cec07ad1c4d84666dffcf.jpg]

Here. Have a bottle of eye bleach.

[Image: aD9fo0e.png]

Yeah, that's a real thing. What a shame.

We local Floridians can distinguish the locals from the tourists by the tan. The tourists would be like lobsters and the locals would be lily white or deep bronze.

I am of the lily white variety.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post