The Skin Care Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2016, 09:23 AM
RE: The Skin Care Thread
(26-12-2016 06:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 12:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I visited Florida a few years ago I noticed ladies whose skin didn't look like it has ever seen a bottle of sunscreen. OMG. It reminded me of the tanned lady in There's Something About Mary.

[Image: 0bbbf52c8eac32a8c3c71b1e6ab353f7.jpg]

or this person and this person is REAL, it's not Hollywood makeup. Gasp

[Image: b8f04666d94cec07ad1c4d84666dffcf.jpg]

Here. Have a bottle of eye bleach.

[Image: aD9fo0e.png]

Yeah, that's a real thing. What a shame.

We local Floridians can distinguish the locals from the tourists by the tan. The tourists would be like lobsters and the locals would be lily white or deep bronze.

I am of the lily white variety.

I'm of the lily white variety too. When I talk to people on forums and I say I'm in Cali, some people automatically assume I'm blond and tan. Nope, I'm pale and brunette Tongue I'm Irish, if I baked myself all day in the sun, I'd be screwed. Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-12-2016, 10:23 AM
(26-12-2016 09:23 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 06:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Yeah, that's a real thing. What a shame.

We local Floridians can distinguish the locals from the tourists by the tan. The tourists would be like lobsters and the locals would be lily white or deep bronze.

I am of the lily white variety.

I'm of the lily white variety too. When I talk to people on forums and I say I'm in Cali, some people automatically assume I'm blond and tan. Nope, I'm pale and brunette Tongue I'm Irish, if I baked myself all day in the sun, I'd be screwed. Wink

Well, I'm blond and very, very pale but I don't have blue eyes, they're greenish. Blue eyed blonds have the most problem with skin cancer. My sister in law is a blue eyed blond, originally from Florida, and she's had little pre-cancer things removed but she still goes out in the sun all the time. I don't get it.

I make my own skin creams with Vit C and Niacinamide and I get the ingredients from Lotioncrafters. It's fun to make and it lasts all year.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-12-2016, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2016 10:48 AM by jennybee.)
(26-12-2016 10:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 09:23 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm of the lily white variety too. When I talk to people on forums and I say I'm in Cali, some people automatically assume I'm blond and tan. Nope, I'm pale and brunette Tongue I'm Irish, if I baked myself all day in the sun, I'd be screwed. Wink

Well, I'm blond and very, very pale but I don't have blue eyes, they're greenish. Blue eyed blonds have the most problem with skin cancer. My sister in law is a blue eyed blond, originally from Florida, and she's had little pre-cancer things removed but she still goes out in the sun all the time. I don't get it.

I make my own skin creams with Vit C and Niacinamide and I get the ingredients from Lotioncrafters. It's fun to make and it lasts all year.

Yeah, a lot of people think I have colored contacts or that I dye my hair dark brown because I have blue eyes, pale skin, and dark hair. But no, it's just me. Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-12-2016, 03:17 PM
(26-12-2016 10:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I make my own skin creams with Vit C and Niacinamide and I get the ingredients from Lotioncrafters. It's fun to make and it lasts all year.

I wasn't joking about the DMAE thing. You other girls out there really haven't heard of this? If you make your own lotion anyway you could buy powder and add it to your ingredient list. It puts the lotion on its skin good, it puts the DMAE lotion on its skin better.

#sigh
26-12-2016, 03:31 PM
I don't use a lot of OTC product:
- coconut oil for makeup remover
- coconut oil for moisturizer and lip cream
- tea tree oil (dilute w/ a little water) for spot control

If you go the coconut oil route, use unrefined and organic.

I use Badger sunscreen if I have to use any. I tend to go more the route of covering up in the direct sun.
I also like Alba or Jason if I buy an OTC product.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
26-12-2016, 04:24 PM
I've never been overly impressed with makeup or spending lots of time in the sun, so overall skin quality is in pretty decent shape for someone who's turning 60 next August.

With one exception: My hands. They look at least 10 years older than I do. I have been very rough on them over the years: Washing dishes; exposing them to a whole periodic table worth of household chemicals, including very drying things like plaster; and working them extremely hard 16 hours a day.

Every winter, when the temperature drops and everyone cowers indoors in low-humidity environments, the skin at my fingertips starts to split. I've tried urea-based creams, tried putting on cream and wearing gloves overnight, tried drinking more fluids, even run a humidifier. It's not the worst it's been (typing with cuts on 8 different fingers is not fun) but I'd love some preventative-maintenance suggestions.

(toddles off to get that humidifier set up)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2016, 04:51 PM
I've got dry, and sometimes itchy skin, and I use these two colloidal oatmeal products...

[Image: daily-nourish-moisturising-lotion-1L.png][Image: dn-p-3.png]

The lotion's particularly effective for itchy redness of the skin. Unlike sorbolene, this stuff doesn't leave any residual greasiness on your skin.

Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-12-2016, 05:11 PM
(26-12-2016 03:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-12-2016 10:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I make my own skin creams with Vit C and Niacinamide and I get the ingredients from Lotioncrafters. It's fun to make and it lasts all year.

I wasn't joking about the DMAE thing. You other girls out there really haven't heard of this? If you make your own lotion anyway you could buy powder and add it to your ingredient list. It puts the lotion on its skin good, it puts the DMAE lotion on its skin better.

I have heard of this. I'll give it a try. I think Lotoncrafters has it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.