The Skinny On Evilution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: The Skinny On Evilution
(14-06-2013 02:57 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 12:29 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Any engineer, or project manager, or person with a high school degree, can tell you, dear reader, that the more complex something becomes, the more likely it will break. Biologically speaking then, increasing complexity decreases the chances of survival.

This made me laugh.

Human beings in general experience the failure of every system built inherited from their ancestors.

Almost any population will have diseases, and death in almost every way possible for that location.

The secret is in the survival of systems that resist failure better than others. In other words it's failing so much that you can over come the what ever it is that is causing the system to fail.

Video is unavailable, just me? Huh

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2013, 04:04 PM
(14-06-2013 03:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 02:57 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  This made me laugh.

Human beings in general experience the failure of every system built inherited from their ancestors.

Almost any population will have diseases, and death in almost every way possible for that location.

The secret is in the survival of systems that resist failure better than others. In other words it's failing so much that you can over come the what ever it is that is causing the system to fail.

Video is unavailable, just me? Huh

Despite how much I want to trick you into saying it is a problem on your end I am having the same exact issue. Consider

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
14-06-2013, 04:22 PM
(14-06-2013 04:04 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  
(14-06-2013 03:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Video is unavailable, just me? Huh

Despite how much I want to trick you into saying it is a problem on your end I am having the same exact issue. Consider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...3bs#t=288s

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
14-06-2013, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2013 06:10 PM by ridethespiral.)
Yeah there are a handfull of highly specialized and complex organisms like us(who are generally relatively short lived on an evolutionary scale) but there are a plethora of 'simple' microbes and extremophiles that are very numerous and successful, and will continue to be so after humanity perishes.

You argument completely ignores the vast majority of biomass on the planet, and is typical of the type of narsicsitic man-o-centric world view held by creationists.

Evolution is about sustainable possibility and competition amoung genes not raw efficiency.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
14-06-2013, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2013 09:49 PM by Hafnof.)
Think about what you're saying PJ. You're saying that say an intelligent human is not as well suited to survival as a slug because it is more complex and likely to break. Therefore, humans must not be able to survive. The world should be full of slugs and not of humans.

We can test this. Let's run the world for a few thousand years and see what happens. Will slugs come to dominate and replace these ill-adapted humans, or will the more complex humans have some other advantage that allows them to survive?

Luckily, the experiment has been run and what we find in practice is that both simple and complex life can inhibit the world. There are a multitude of environments that species can inhabit, many created by the niches left by other species. Some environments are suited to complex solutions, while others are suited to less complex solutions.

Evolution doesn't have a notion of "forward" or "backwards". It only has a notion of "good fit" or "poor fit".

Remember PJ, human reason is limited. Reality must be our ultimate guide. You are making predictions here. You must consider whether your predictions are holding true or not. In this case your predictions are false, therefore your ideas are false. You must modify them or let them go. Clearly this particular argument is flawed, and I suggest letting it go in favour of better arguments against evolution.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
14-06-2013, 11:51 PM
People,

You are being trolled.

Most people think of a troll as some malformed humanoid hiding under a bridge: this is not the case.

A real troll is a "Lure" placed before hungry fish who are all too-willing to waste their time by snapping at it.

Deal.....

[Image: trolling-best-fishing.jpg]
15-06-2013, 01:20 AM
*giggle*
He said evilution.

What, I'm supposed to take this thread seriously?

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
[+] 3 users Like KeenIdiot's post
15-06-2013, 09:07 AM
(15-06-2013 01:20 AM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  *giggle*
He said evilution.

What, I'm supposed to take this thread seriously?

Ditto.

I know that most people argue in order to "win" rather than to come to an agreement on the truth, and that seems to be obvious in such a case as this. Do you really expect to win anyone over, PleaseJesus, when you invite people to debate over 'evilution'???

Think about, in the past, where atheists have personally called you names... or when they've referred to your belief as Xianity... or when they've referred to your savior as Jebus: how did you respond to such posts? I imagine that you immediately dismissed these posts as 'wrong' and realized that the posters had little to say that would be helpful or instructive. This is how most of us atheists respond to such posts as well. If you make fun of your opponent, he or she is likely to disagree with you just to protect his or her ego if nothing else.

You've misunderstood evolution, despite the numerous attempts to point you to a book that would help you understand (I feel vindicated now in arguing that such books wouldn't help you on the book recommendation thread). Stop attacking a straw man version of evolution, one that is an intentional agent that's "trying" to get us to a certain end rather than a happy accident of chance. Evolution is more like a screen that lets certain organisms through but not others, rather than like a machine that's sculpting organisms with a design in mind. Once you understand evolution correctly, you'll see its effects for yourself.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user