Poll: On average, how much sleep do you get in a 24-hr. period?
3 hours or less
4 hours
5 hours
6 hours
7 hours
8 hours
9 hours
10 hours
More than 10 hours
[Show Results]

The Sleep Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2012, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 10:37 PM by cufflink.)
The Sleep Thread
How are you sleeping?

Are you getting all you want? All you need? Has your relation to sleep changed over the years?

This science reporter claims that the idea we all do best with 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night is a myth. That kind of sleep, he says, may not even be natural for human beings.

Rethinking Sleep

How much sleep do you need to function at your sparkling best? Do you fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow, or do you toss and turn for hours? What promotes good sleep for you, and what keeps you up? Ever taken meds to help with insomnia? What's the longest you were up at one stretch, and what was the result?

Share your thoughts!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .

[ETA: Sleep poll]

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2012, 01:57 PM
RE: The Sleep Thread
Hey Cufflink, is your sig a ref to Unbearable lightness of being?

I'm experimenting at the moment with the 8 hour regimen. Bed at 10, up at 530... wait that doesn't make 8. Oh well. Anyway, it's my normal routine. For a while earlier this year my sleep patterns were totally messed and I was struggling, so I made a conscious effort to go back to it and I'm a lot happier Smile
24-09-2012, 01:57 PM
"My dreams they have to catch me cause I don't get sleep" Gorillaz

That about sums it up for me.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
24-09-2012, 02:20 PM
(24-09-2012 01:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hey Cufflink, is your sig a ref to Unbearable lightness of being?

No it's not. I didn't even know the phrase was referenced in ULB, which is on my list of Books I Should Read. Thanks for cluing me in! I took the quote from the original source, the manuscript score of Beethoven's last string quartet, where he had written the words "Muss es sein?" ["Must it be?"] over a musical phrase that sounded like a question, and "Es muss sein!" ["It must be!"] over a later phrase that sounded like an answer. I was reading an analysis of the quartet yesterday and that mysterious Q&A tickled me.

---------------------------------------------------

My own sleep anecdote:

Sixteen years ago I put in an all-nighter to finish some work I had procrastinated over and could no longer put off. It was a relief to finally get it done. And with plenty of caffeine, I thought I was doing fine the next day. You can probably see what's coming . . . Driving home from the office that evening, I conked out at the wheel and rear-ended the car ahead of me, causing a chain collision. Fortunately traffic was moving fairly slowly, and no one was injured. I learned my lesson. Never again.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
24-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Woo straight from the source eh? I'm not 100% sure it's that book that there's a discussion of it, but I'm pretty damn sure. p value < 0.05.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-09-2012, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 05:18 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Quote:How much sleep do you need to function at your sparkling best?
Quote: Do you fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow,
Yes, as long as my dog is on the bed as my "look-out"
Quote:or do you toss and turn for hours?
never
Quote:What promotes good sleep for you
exercise, schedule not changed
Quote:and what keeps you up
excited about something (new) at school
Quote:Ever taken meds to help with insomnia ?
once in the hospital, never again
Quote:What's the longest you were up at one stretch, and what was the result?
36 hours. Around 29-30 became ill, and devolved to incoherent

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

24-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:36 hours. Around 29-30 became ill, and devolved to incoherent

Fucking amateur.Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
24-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I sleep very well thanks to my friend MJ Big Grin

I do sleep with earplugs in, tho, as I am very noise sensitive.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
24-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I sleep a lot less than I used to but my doctor says that's normal...for someone my age...damn I hate that phrase.

I sleep around 6 hours a night on a good night, often awakened at some point or many points because the dogs have heard something and set off the alarm.

Work means I have to be a morning person but on weekends I revert to night owl, but no matter when I get to sleep I will wake up in 4-6 hours even if I don't have to. Insomnia is a problem sometimes but hasn't been an issue lately.

Oh, for the days when 12-14 hours of sleep came easy. It wasn't that long ago when I HAD to have 8 hours of sleep to even think about being able to function.

And I almost never remember dreaming any more. I don't think I am asleep long enough to get that far.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-09-2012, 03:18 AM
I like to sleep 10-12 hours, but unfortunately, I have to get up at 5:30 AM to get to work at 6 AM, so I sleep around 6-7 hours. It a disaster for me. I miss my beauty sleep...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson