Poll: On average, how much sleep do you get in a 24-hr. period?
3 hours or less
4 hours
5 hours
6 hours
7 hours
8 hours
9 hours
10 hours
More than 10 hours
[Show Results]

The Sleep Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2012, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 10:37 PM by cufflink.)
The Sleep Thread

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2012, 01:57 PM
RE: The Sleep Thread
Hey Cufflink, is your sig a ref to Unbearable lightness of being?

I'm experimenting at the moment with the 8 hour regimen. Bed at 10, up at 530... wait that doesn't make 8. Oh well. Anyway, it's my normal routine. For a while earlier this year my sleep patterns were totally messed and I was struggling, so I made a conscious effort to go back to it and I'm a lot happier Smile
24-09-2012, 01:57 PM
"My dreams they have to catch me cause I don't get sleep" Gorillaz

That about sums it up for me.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
24-09-2012, 02:20 PM
(24-09-2012 01:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hey Cufflink, is your sig a ref to Unbearable lightness of being?

No it's not. I didn't even know the phrase was referenced in ULB, which is on my list of Books I Should Read. Thanks for cluing me in! I took the quote from the original source, the manuscript score of Beethoven's last string quartet, where he had written the words "Muss es sein?" ["Must it be?"] over a musical phrase that sounded like a question, and "Es muss sein!" ["It must be!"] over a later phrase that sounded like an answer. I was reading an analysis of the quartet yesterday and that mysterious Q&A tickled me.

---------------------------------------------------

My own sleep anecdote:

Sixteen years ago I put in an all-nighter to finish some work I had procrastinated over and could no longer put off. It was a relief to finally get it done. And with plenty of caffeine, I thought I was doing fine the next day. You can probably see what's coming . . . Driving home from the office that evening, I conked out at the wheel and rear-ended the car ahead of me, causing a chain collision. Fortunately traffic was moving fairly slowly, and no one was injured. I learned my lesson. Never again.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
24-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Woo straight from the source eh? I'm not 100% sure it's that book that there's a discussion of it, but I'm pretty damn sure. p value < 0.05.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-09-2012, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 05:18 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Quote:How much sleep do you need to function at your sparkling best?
Quote: Do you fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow,
Yes, as long as my dog is on the bed as my "look-out"
Quote:or do you toss and turn for hours?
never
Quote:What promotes good sleep for you
exercise, schedule not changed
Quote:and what keeps you up
excited about something (new) at school
Quote:Ever taken meds to help with insomnia ?
once in the hospital, never again
Quote:What's the longest you were up at one stretch, and what was the result?
36 hours. Around 29-30 became ill, and devolved to incoherent

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
24-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Quote:36 hours. Around 29-30 became ill, and devolved to incoherent

Fucking amateur.Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
24-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I sleep very well thanks to my friend MJ Big Grin

I do sleep with earplugs in, tho, as I am very noise sensitive.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
24-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I sleep a lot less than I used to but my doctor says that's normal...for someone my age...damn I hate that phrase.

I sleep around 6 hours a night on a good night, often awakened at some point or many points because the dogs have heard something and set off the alarm.

Work means I have to be a morning person but on weekends I revert to night owl, but no matter when I get to sleep I will wake up in 4-6 hours even if I don't have to. Insomnia is a problem sometimes but hasn't been an issue lately.

Oh, for the days when 12-14 hours of sleep came easy. It wasn't that long ago when I HAD to have 8 hours of sleep to even think about being able to function.

And I almost never remember dreaming any more. I don't think I am asleep long enough to get that far.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
25-09-2012, 03:18 AM
I like to sleep 10-12 hours, but unfortunately, I have to get up at 5:30 AM to get to work at 6 AM, so I sleep around 6-7 hours. It a disaster for me. I miss my beauty sleep...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson