The So Called 'Soul'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 02:39 AM
The So Called 'Soul'
Quick Question, where does a persons personality come from, no Human is the same inside as we all have different wants and reactions. What scientifically (in the brain) creates someone's reaction to situations and humor etc? I've been trying to look around but all I see is 'God creates a soul' and no straight answers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 04:42 AM
RE: The So Called 'Soul'
That's a bit like asking where a person's centre of gravity comes from.

Welcome to the forum.

Smile

And the answer is...

Carbon

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-11-2014, 05:21 AM
(30-11-2014 02:39 AM)ScradleyGymson Wrote:  Quick Question, where does a persons personality come from, no Human is the same inside as we all have different wants and reactions. What scientifically (in the brain) creates someone's reaction to situations and humor etc? I've been trying to look around but all I see is 'God creates a soul' and no straight answers.

All evidence suggests that the personality of a given individual is resultant from the total of the physical processes of the brain, rather than a single portion of it. Though it is true that different regions and systems regulate different behaviours.

Sorry, but I cannot be any more specific than that.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
30-11-2014, 09:58 AM
According to Brain Cox it's "possibly electricity".
30-11-2014, 10:31 AM
DNA is a big part of it too. Chemical balance, such as hormones. Lots of influences.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-11-2014, 12:51 PM
(30-11-2014 02:39 AM)ScradleyGymson Wrote:  Quick Question, where does a persons personality come from, no Human is the same inside as we all have different wants and reactions. What scientifically (in the brain) creates someone's reaction to situations and humor etc? I've been trying to look around but all I see is 'God creates a soul' and no straight answers.

I am not sure how the topic is asking about the soul but the question targets personality.

The concept of a soul is the essence of a person that supposedly continues on after death.

Seems that this is an apples and oranges topic.

Which is it that you want an answer to?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-11-2014, 02:40 PM
If there is any type of metaphysical soul conditioner partially directing us in some way, I would suggest it is far removed from all the theological directives trying to coerce us in their various ways---Angel
30-11-2014, 02:47 PM
I think you're confusing the soul with consciousness.
As far as I'm concerned a soul does not exist.
Consciousness however, I believe is a product of our environment and our interactions with it.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
30-11-2014, 04:22 PM
(30-11-2014 02:40 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  If there is any type of metaphysical soul conditioner partially directing us in some way, I would suggest it is far removed from all the theological directives trying to coerce us in their various ways---Angel

I would wager it's primarily directing us.

(30-11-2014 12:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The concept of a soul is the essence of a person that supposedly continues on after death.

I'll stipulate to a soul or subconscious prime mover, but I will not stipulate that it has any fucking prayer of outliving me. There ain't no plausible mechanism of action for any bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. Dualism is untenable.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
30-11-2014, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2014 06:31 PM by Bucky Ball.)

Genetics + epigenetics + learned responses to specific events in personal history and environment.
There no evidence of a "soul". "Soul" is explanation myth from pre-scientific days.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post