The So Called 'Soul'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 06:22 PM
RE: The So Called 'Soul'
(30-11-2014 10:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  DNA is a big part of it too. Chemical balance, such as hormones. Lots of influences.

When they scan the brains of twins they find each to be different. The brain is as unique to each person as ones thumbprint. Electrical activity, hormones, synapses, chemistry, it all makes a difference.

There isn't a soul, it's just the thinking brain thinking about itself. The soul is just another one of those wishful-thinking-theist-thingys.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Haha thank you everyone, I do admit that I did indeed mean a Conscience of sorts but I'm glad a handful of people understood what I was trying to ask. I only asked this due to the fact I got asked by a theist that "If God didnt give us souls, how come some of us hate music and others dont?", Idiotic question but it got me wondering.
02-12-2014, 02:05 PM
> If God didnt give us souls, how come some of us hate music and others dont?
Idiotic question? no, but as phrased it's a biased question.
What does god giving souls have to do with the question? remove the front part, and you have an impartial question.

How come some of us hate music and others dont?

The answer to which was given in several prior posts. cause you were either wired that way in your brain (tones that give comfort/pleasure in others don't for your brain mechanics), or you learned not to like it from past experiences (e.g. beliefs, often instilled by observing others and wanting to fit in - your friends in grade school hated country so you hate it too, etc), or a combination of both.

"Spirituality was born to help humans with their mere existence." - i made it up.
[+] 1 user Likes lotsolint's post
02-12-2014, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 03:53 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I think we all have different aptitudes that govern our perception of and reaction to various stimuli - for example the same event could be interpreted by some as grim, others as humorous, etc. I don't think there's anything going on within and between humans that's more than biochemical and physical. That said, I think there's MORE going on in our minds than we can understand at the present time. People talk about "soul mates" or bonding with certain people in a way they can't with other people, etc. I think that's just compatibility, plain and simple.

I come into this with the background of being a hobbyist musician. I'm in a "jam" band (think The Grateful Dead or Phish but maybe with a somewhat darker sensibility like Lou Reed or Pink Floyd) and I've had moments with other musicians where you find a groove and enter into a shared experience that SEEMS to be more than biochemical, more than simply the reaction of our senses to a shared stimuli. I don't think this is evidence of a higher power, a greater consciousness, or anything supernatural, but I think it's well established that rhythmic repetition and a sort of monotonous melody can lull individuals and groups into a trance state. Religion certainly understands this with meditation, chanting, ritual dancing, etc. The difference is I think it's our bodies that produce this effect, not a god or higher power. But I will say I've "gone to a place" in the midst of some extended jamming (aided at times by chemical intoxicants no doubt) where it feels like there's a connection beyond just sight and sound; it results in an almost pre-cognition of what the notes and the beat will be before it happens, an almost out-of-body meditative feeling, like you're observing it from outside. Again - I think it's just the body and mind playing tricks, or functioning in some way we have yet to grasp scientifically; or which HAS been explained but which I'm ignorant of; some biochemical, hormonal, genetic leftover from our days as pack animals hunting in groups maybe. I have read articles that deal with musicians' brains being different over time than "normal" brains, and that musicians seem more able to understand nonverbal communication between each other. I can see how theists might construe this as a mingling of "souls," guided by the hand of a higher power, but I see no reason to believe it's anything supernatural or inexplicable.
03-12-2014, 12:55 PM
(02-12-2014 03:49 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  But I will say I've "gone to a place" in the midst of some extended jamming (aided at times by chemical intoxicants no doubt) where it feels like there's a connection beyond just sight and sound; it results in an almost pre-cognition of what the notes and the beat will be before it happens, an almost out-of-body meditative feeling, like you're observing it from outside.

mr. boston, the connection you describe sounds quite similar to what I often feel when getting busy with my better half, there's a bunch of jamming going on then too Tongue

i have a few musician friends that have explained the same as you, in particular the communication between players of improvisational jazz. I unfortunately do not have, or have not been able to, hone any musical talent. I'm guessing there are similar out-of-body connected feelings in many other realms where the minds are trained and focused on the same thing; sports, debate, sex, etc. It's definitely a cool feeling.

"Spirituality was born to help humans with their mere existence." - i made it up.
[+] 1 user Likes lotsolint's post
06-12-2014, 09:08 PM
The science of consciousness has not been figure out yet. Parts of the brain that create judgment and inhibition, among many other things, are in the frontal lobe (in your forehead) and I once read that the frontal lobe continues to develop 'til about age 30. Personality is about half inherited. By personality traits, I mean being timid/outgoing, risk-taking or fearful, argumentative/agreeable, and much more. These traits may be encouraged or suppressed by environment.

About a study of the inheritability of personality traits - http://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/02/scienc...rited.html
About the frontal lobe of the brain - http://www.neuroskills.com/brain-injury/...-lobes.php

I think consciousness and the self is organic (chemical), from the brain, of the brain. I think that the self is not actually a whole entity, but a compilation of the activities of the brain and that the brain creates the illusion of an entity, just as it is constantly creating an illusion of reality, or a story that makes sense for the sake of survival.

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.