The Soul

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2015, 09:50 AM
The Soul
One of my coworkers was asking me about my beliefs as an atheist the other day, and he being for lack of a better position "not religious", I thought maybe I could help him along the path. He definitely is not Christian or anything of the sort, but I could tell he was still caught up in some indoctrination influence by Christianity's stronghold on America.

When we began talking about life after death and that my position is that you're just dead was baffling to him. He asked me, "What happens to your soul?". I said I didn't believe there was such a thing, and he was flabbergasted. At the same time though, he didn't really believe in Heaven or Hell. So when I asked him to define and describe to me what the soul was...he had nothing but stereotypical jibberish you get from religion and movies.

So a man that doesn't believe in religion and loathes organized religion, was still influenced enough by it to believe something has to happen when you die because you have an invisible entity inside you called your soul. When I explained my belief that the soul is derived from our conscious 'feeling' of awareness and our ability to separate ourselves from the rest of the world giving us the impression that we are 'special', he was literally speechless.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2015, 09:56 AM
RE: The Soul
(02-01-2015 09:50 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  One of my coworkers was asking me about my beliefs as an atheist the other day, and he being for lack of a better position "not religious", I thought maybe I could help him along the path. He definitely is not Christian or anything of the sort, but I could tell he was still caught up in some indoctrination influence by Christianity's stronghold on America.

When we began talking about life after death and that my position is that you're just dead was baffling to him. He asked me, "What happens to your soul?". I said I didn't believe there was such a thing, and he was flabbergasted. At the same time though, he didn't really believe in Heaven or Hell. So when I asked him to define and describe to me what the soul was...he had nothing but stereotypical jibberish you get from religion and movies.

So a man that doesn't believe in religion and loathes organized religion, was still influenced enough by it to believe something has to happen when you die because you have an invisible entity inside you called your soul. When I explained my belief that the soul is derived from our conscious 'feeling' of awareness and our ability to separate ourselves from the rest of the world giving us the impression that we are 'special', he was literally speechless.

It sounds like he is literally ignorant.
02-01-2015, 10:00 AM
I'm still looking for the chump that will buy mine. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
02-01-2015, 10:03 AM
(02-01-2015 10:00 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm still looking for the chump that will buy mine. Big Grin

Maybe if we package up a bunch of them? Y'know, bundles of souls?

Or maybe there's a market for soul derivatives?
[+] 3 users Like Rik's post
02-01-2015, 10:06 AM
(02-01-2015 10:03 AM)Rik Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 10:00 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm still looking for the chump that will buy mine. Big Grin

I was thinking Haiti might be a promising market.
02-01-2015, 10:11 AM
This claim of a "soul" literally is a flaw in our species evolution. It is a result of gap filling and flawed perceptions, stemming from our natural drive to continue. It is false comfort.

The truth is that there is no such thing as a "soul". The reality is that you are merely your brain in motion. Just like if you smashed your computer into pieces it would no longer function.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
02-01-2015, 12:46 PM
substance dualism: the dumb idea that certain things exist independently of any physical matter like god, souls, disembodied minds and other stuff

only one problem with that idea, we have yet to find anything in biology, chemistry, physics or any scientific field that remotely hints at the existence of souls
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
02-01-2015, 12:51 PM
(02-01-2015 10:03 AM)Rik Wrote:  

No, we don't want to create too much supply. Suggest this is run as a cartel...Evil_monster

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 3 users Like gofish!'s post
02-01-2015, 12:54 PM
The only soul worth bothering with comes on vinyl.... Wink Which reminds me...

Q: How do you turn a duck into a Soul singer?
A: Put it in the microwave until its Bill Withers.

Have a Lovely Day there!

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 3 users Like gofish!'s post
02-01-2015, 12:56 PM
(02-01-2015 12:54 PM)gofish! Wrote:  The only soul worth bothering with comes on vinyl.... Wink Which reminds me...

Q: How do you turn a duck into a Soul singer?
A: Put it in the microwave until its Bill Withers.

Have a Lovely Day there!

Facepalm