The Spectrum of "Sex"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2017, 11:31 AM
The Spectrum of "Sex"
This is a fascinating article that looks at sex chromosomes and other influences on sex determination in the body:

https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

I knew it was more complicated than simply XX or XY chromosomes. But this was fascinating to see what scientists are finding lately.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Emma's post
20-07-2017, 01:57 PM
RE: The Spectrum of "Sex"
(20-07-2017 11:31 AM)Emma Wrote:  This is a fascinating article that looks at sex chromosomes and other influences on sex determination in the body:

https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

I knew it was more complicated than simply XX or XY chromosomes. But this was fascinating to see what scientists are finding lately.

Intersex conditions have been known for a pretty long time, but -- as with many things -- as our understanding progresses we discover that there are many more gradations than were initially assumed.

I notice that the article uses the term "sex" to mean both biological sex and gender. That may be something that needs to change as more "identity issues" begin to emerge socially. While there is clearly a relationship between biological sex and sociological gender, I strongly suspect that it is a far more complex and nuanced relationship than we have tended to believe.

Few things in this world are completely "black" or "white". And as an artist friend taught me some time ago, even something as apparently straightforward as "black" has multiple meanings, say, to a painter.

Interesting times. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
20-07-2017, 02:35 PM
One of my most fascinating classes in college was "the Psychology of Gender." It's difficult to wrap my head around an article written on this subject that wouldn't refer to sex and gender as separate (as Dr. H pointed out). Although I suppose in a roundabout way it does, since the first person it references obviously believed herself to be female. My point is that gender is defined by so much more than the physical body involved.

Thanks for posting that link. I graduated over 20 years ago but I suppose we must have studied some of the older references in this.

And as a "BTW" I live in one of the states that passed a law that people have to use the public bathroom that matches their birth certificate sex. Which is an utter crock of shit and one of many reasons to be embarrassed by my state.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
20-07-2017, 02:36 PM
I thought they were pretty clear when they were talking about sex vs. when they were talking about gender.
21-07-2017, 01:47 PM
(20-07-2017 02:36 PM)Emma Wrote:  I thought they were pretty clear when they were talking about sex vs. when they were talking about gender.

Yes, it's clear from the context.
I was referring to the overt terminology they chose.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
21-07-2017, 02:17 PM
(21-07-2017 01:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(20-07-2017 02:36 PM)Emma Wrote:  I thought they were pretty clear when they were talking about sex vs. when they were talking about gender.

Yes, it's clear from the context.
I was referring to the overt terminology they chose.

Ahh okay, I see.
21-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Ditto on Dr. H.

I think of ultrasounds when people are told "it's a boy," or "it's a girl." Wouldn't it be more accurate perhaps to say "it has a penis." Or not.

And "gender" reveal parties. Those bother me a lot. Perhaps those would be more accurately described as Genital Reveal parties. Because really, that's all that is. After all, genitals in and of and by themselves don't define our gender.

My mother's generation whispered the word "sex" as though it were impolite to say aloud. I'd like to see "genitals" become a natural way of referencing something that is purely biological.

I'm not doing a very good job expressing it, but to take what Dr H said about black and white a step further, even "white" is not an absence of color. White when presented through a prism contains every color.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post