The Spelling Challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 04:51 PM
RE: The Spelling Challenge
Yeah, I have zero rep from Vosur, and I'm a fellow grammarian. Man, he's stingy.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
28-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Found one! Smartass

Do I get bumped up to three rep points from you now? Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
28-12-2014, 05:52 PM
(28-12-2014 05:35 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Found one! Smartass

Do I get bumped up to three rep points from you now? Big Grin
As per the OP, the spelling error has to be from this year. The post you linked to is from 2012. Better luck next time. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Damnit! Angry

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
28-12-2014, 06:18 PM
He wouldn't have given you one anyway, Smerc. He moved the goal posts on me. If I didn't know better I would say he's a theist.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
28-12-2014, 06:30 PM
(28-12-2014 04:38 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I've already gotten three rep from you and have corrected you on spelling mistakes.

So now what?

I think the answer is pretty obvious.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
28-12-2014, 07:18 PM
In this post, you misspelled "parties" as "party's."

The plural form of "party," whether as a noun or a verb, is in fact "parties," not "party's."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/party

http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the-plu...party.html

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
28-12-2014, 07:24 PM
(28-12-2014 07:18 PM)Free Wrote:  In this post, you misspelled "parties" as "party's."

The plural form of "party," whether as a noun or a verb, is in fact "parties," not "party's."

Hmm I think this one falls under the possessive rule. Whose translation does he have to depend on? The translation of a third party. I don't know if it qualifies for the plural rule. I'm interested to see what he says about this one though.

Edit: in all honestly, I'm certainly not a grammar/spelling buff. I could be very wrong.

28-12-2014, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2014 07:46 PM by Free.)
(28-12-2014 07:24 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 07:18 PM)Free Wrote:  In this post, you misspelled "parties" as "party's."

Hmm I think this one falls under the possessive rule. Whose translation does he have to depend on? The translation of a third party. I don't know if it qualifies for the plural rule. I'm interested to see what he says about this one though.

Edit: in all honestly, I'm certainly not a grammar/spelling buff. I could be very wrong.

"Party's" is not the word to use, even in the possessive sense. If anything, he should have said either "third party" or "third parties."

But ... meh ... worth a try.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
28-12-2014, 07:46 PM
(28-12-2014 07:39 PM)Free Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 07:24 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Hmm I think this one falls under the possessive rule. Whose translation does he have to depend on? The translation of a third party. I don't know if it qualifies for the plural rule. I'm interested to see what he says about this one though.

"Party's" is the word to use, even in the possessive sense. If anything, he should have said either "third party" or "third parties."

I'll admit, I'm not finding any reliable sources right off, but everything I have found points at the possessive of party being party's. I think he's got this one.

I should probably win my extra rep just for knowing this, but that's none of my business Angel