The Spiritual Research Foundation...yes that's what I thought too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2017, 10:00 PM
RE: The Spiritual Research Foundation...yes that's what I thought too
(17-08-2017 12:14 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 10:57 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I feel like you guys only dislike the website because it has to do with spirituality.

I feel like you should maybe think more, feel less.....

No wait.... that's not right! That's what I think, cause I don't let my feelings (or my dick) make my decisions for me, and I don't think you should either. It's generally a bad idea (and if your a girl don't let your vagina make your decisions same basic principle, use the brain in your head not the imaginary one's in your pants or shirt to make your decisions).

^ Bit of useful life advice for you.

That wasn't very useful. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Angra Mainyu's post
18-08-2017, 04:26 AM
(17-08-2017 10:00 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 12:14 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I feel like you should maybe think more, feel less.....

No wait.... that's not right! That's what I think, cause I don't let my feelings (or my dick) make my decisions for me, and I don't think you should either. It's generally a bad idea (and if your a girl don't let your vagina make your decisions same basic principle, use the brain in your head not the imaginary one's in your pants or shirt to make your decisions).

^ Bit of useful life advice for you.

Actually, it was very good advice.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
19-08-2017, 11:57 PM
(18-08-2017 04:26 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 10:00 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  That wasn't very useful. Consider

Actually, it was very good advice.

Though good advice it may be, I was encouraging someone who refuses to think, to try it. I can't be surprised at their rather pathetic response.

Perhaps I should have tried appealing to their emotions instead, I'm pretty dead set against doing so. If they can't understand based on rational thought/applied logic then they don't deserve to understand.

I've found this problem in many places, people leave their religion based on emotions rather than thought, then fall into dangerous pseudo religions, or start chugging pseudo science like it's a cheep beer at a kegger. I would rather someone remain religious, than leave for stupid reasons. Personally. They got into it for stupid reasons If they can't get out of it for intelligent one's they are prolly safer staying where they are. We're all prolly safer that way. As bad as Christianity is there are worse ideologies out there.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
20-08-2017, 05:35 PM
(17-08-2017 10:00 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 12:14 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I feel like you should maybe think more, feel less.....

If you think that, then maybe you should reassess the "usefulness" of your own comments LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
20-08-2017, 05:53 PM
(19-08-2017 11:57 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(18-08-2017 04:26 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Actually, it was very good advice.

Though good advice it may be, I was encouraging someone who refuses to think, to try it. I can't be surprised at their rather pathetic response.

Perhaps I should have tried appealing to their emotions instead, I'm pretty dead set against doing so. If they can't understand based on rational thought/applied logic then they don't deserve to understand.

I've found this problem in many places, people leave their religion based on emotions rather than thought, then fall into dangerous pseudo religions, or start chugging pseudo science like it's a cheep beer at a kegger. I would rather someone remain religious, than leave for stupid reasons. Personally. They got into it for stupid reasons If they can't get out of it for intelligent one's they are prolly safer staying where they are. We're all prolly safer that way. As bad as Christianity is there are worse ideologies out there.

Give me a break with that rational thought/applied logic crap, what makes you think you're so smart that your logic holds all the answers? People are capable of thinking with their emotions, and perhaps you've failed to realize that conclusions drawn from emotional thinking could be just as valid as conclusions drawn from rational thinking. Humans aren't totally rational beings to begin with, so dismissing all other forms of thinking other than "rational thought/applied logic" is shallow and philistine. The fool says in his heart, "There is no God". And how is Christianity bad? I see and hear about Christians doing charity work all the time, while I really don't think atheists are putting the same kind of effort into something like that. Not that everyone has to do charity work, I don't do it, it's not for everyone, it takes a certain level of compassion that I don't have, but I think Christians have an overall much higher level of compassion and are better people than most atheists.
20-08-2017, 05:57 PM
(20-08-2017 05:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Give me a break

Ditto. Give us all a break. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
20-08-2017, 06:00 PM
(20-08-2017 05:57 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-08-2017 05:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Give me a break

Ditto. Give us all a break. Drinking Beverage

Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat Bar Shy
20-08-2017, 06:17 PM
(20-08-2017 05:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Give me a break with that rational thought/applied logic crap, what makes you think you're so smart that your logic holds all the answers? People are capable of thinking with their emotions,

Facepalm

Quote:and perhaps you've failed to realize that conclusions drawn from emotional thinking could be just as valid as conclusions drawn from rational thinking.

The problem is that you would never know that they are valid. You would just tell yourself that they are.

Quote:Humans aren't totally rational beings to begin with, so dismissing all other forms of thinking other than "rational thought/applied logic" is shallow and philistine.

Humans have emotions and they are valuable and useful but they are not a path to knowledge or understanding reality.

Quote:The fool says in his heart, "There is no God". And how is Christianity bad? I see and hear about Christians doing charity work all the time, while I really don't think atheists are putting the same kind of effort into something like that.

You've made that claim before and you are still wrong. The difference is that atheists don't do charity in the name of atheism or in order to spread atheism.

Quote: Not that everyone has to do charity work, I don't do it, it's not for everyone, it takes a certain level of compassion that I don't have, but I think Christians have an overall much higher level of compassion and are better people than most atheists.

The stats comparing secular countries to theistic countries do not support that. The stats for prison populations do not support that. Is that more "emotional thinking"?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
20-08-2017, 06:28 PM
(20-08-2017 05:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  The fool says in his heart, "There is no God".

As has already been said here on numerous occasions, there's really no point in quoting the Christian bible, particularly on an atheist site. It's just a fairy story largely about mythological characters and non-existent happenings. 'Alice in Wonderland' actually includes more profound allegories than the bible LOL.

Quote:I see and hear about Christians doing charity work all the time, while I really don't think atheists are putting the same kind of effort into something like that.

A leading statement like this definitely requires a citation. You need facts and figures to support this sort of stuff; personal opinion or guesses won't suffice. So.....?

Quote:I think Christians have an overall much higher level of compassion and are better people than most atheists.

Again, a citation is necessary—otherwise it sounds as though you're just making stuff up, and full of shit. Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
20-08-2017, 08:14 PM
(20-08-2017 06:28 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
Quote:I see and hear about Christians doing charity work all the time, while I really don't think atheists are putting the same kind of effort into something like that.

A leading statement like this definitely requires a citation. You need facts and figures to support this sort of stuff; personal opinion or guesses won't suffice. So.....?
It's also completely irrelevant. That some people do charitable work is evidence only that some people are charitable -- not that god exists or the Bible is a fount of truth.

In truth most of what churches do isn't charitable, it's just activities for club members. People think of it as charitable because churches get (mostly) unwarranted tax breaks for their activities, which particularly for smaller fundamentalist-leaning congregations, seldom involves feeding the hungry, clothing or housing the poor, healing the sick ... THAT would be the dreaded Social Gospel. Can't have that. The most they can do is grudgingly give a drunk a bed for the night in exchange for them being required to attend an evangelistic service.

Atheism isn't a movement or organization so it's not apples to apples anyway. The fact is that some individuals -- religious and irreligious -- are charitable. Some -- religious and irreligious -- are not. For various reasons, none of which actually has jack shit to do with theistic beliefs or lack of them.

The confusion here is that so many believers think they do good works to please god, and by extension, wouldn't do works if god didn't need pleasing, and therefore, would not do good works for anything resembling a good motive -- only under duress because they have to "or else". I on the other hand donate my time and $$ because I want to and enjoy it. Not because I'm making the smug claim that I'm obeying god, but because I love my fellow man. Try it sometime A.M ... it's liberating.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post