The Story of Two Funerals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2012, 06:40 AM
The Story of Two Funerals
Ever since my mother died when I was 11-years-old I have been somewhat fascinated by death and funerals in particular. Most funerals, including her's, seem so cold and impersonal. I've always wanted mine to be more than that. Well I recently attended two funerals within a couple weeks of each other and saw both styles played out.

Funeral 1 was a traditional catholic funeral with various passages read from the "good book" by a priest that probably didn't even know the person who died. Afterward there was nothing but sadness. It's so ironic that the catholics are the greatest preachers of a wonderful life after death yet they are the most depressed at funerals.

Funeral 2 was still in a church but was more of a celebration of the person's life. Many family members and friends stood up to talk about what this person meant to them. I was honored that the family, my in-laws, asked me to be the main speaker knowing I was comfortable doing so. I told various humorous stories of the persons life that everyone could relate to. It was 15 minutes of laughter, smiles, and nods of acknowledgment. Afterward many people came up to me to express their appreciation for making the occasions a memorable and joyful experience instead of a depressingly cold one.

I can't help thinking how much the deceased from funeral one would have preferred to be treated like the person from funeral two was. I have since written down specific details of how I want my funeral/celebration of my life to be. I encourage you all to do the same so your loved ones will leave with joyful memories and not depressed and cold.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like free2011's post
25-03-2012, 08:25 AM
RE: The Story of Two Funerals
(25-03-2012 06:40 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Funeral 1 was a traditional catholic funeral with various passages read from the "good book" by a priest that probably didn't even know the person who died. Afterward there was nothing but sadness. It's so ironic that the catholics are the greatest preachers of a wonderful life after death yet they are the most depressed at funerals.

So true. As a member of a large extended catholic family, I have seen my share of catholic funerals.
I've often asked: "So you believe he's in heaven, and you'll meet again... then why the hell are you so upset?"
My brother and I have a theory: They don't really believe in heaven. Deep down inside, they know it's all lie. And the funeral reflects it.

I'm with you free2011, I want my funeral to be a celebration of my life too. I'm going to leave instructions for all my friends to show up in re-enactment/larp gear to my funeral. That would be epic Tongue

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
25-03-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: The Story of Two Funerals
thats something that always confuses me. "He's in a better place". "Someday we'll see her in the Heaven and be together forever". "He is with God Now". Then you should be thrilled they died and eager to join them. Oh and you might as well skip that physical so you can get there faster.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not