The "Stranger Danger" Myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2012, 06:41 PM
RE: The "Stranger Danger" Myth
(26-05-2012 01:32 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 01:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Kid's in the news, kid's probably in trouble.

(27-05-2012 12:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 01:32 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  I'm at a total loss.
What does that have to do with me asking itsacow how his comment relates to children?
Itsacow was referring to calves not children.

The fuck? I thought we were still talking about baby goats.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2012, 08:49 PM
(27-05-2012 06:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 01:32 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  ...

(27-05-2012 12:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Itsacow was referring to calves not children.

The fuck? I thought we were still talking about baby goats.
Is there an itsagoat that I haven't met yet?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-05-2012, 09:42 PM
(27-05-2012 08:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-05-2012 06:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The fuck? I thought we were still talking about baby goats.
Is there an itsagoat that I haven't met yet?

Wait, we ain't worshipping GoatMan here? ... fuck, I need to stick to a single forum.

[Image: narnia-goat-man.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-05-2012, 10:44 PM
(25-05-2012 08:58 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I don't agree at all. I think being cautious of strangers is a pretty safe bet. Who knows maybe the existence of the stranger danger phenomenon has helped keep the number of stranger abductions to the lower number.

Maybe what we really need is more education surrounding the family member dangers. I would agree that people fall into a false sense of security due in part to familiarity.

Can we ever truly know someone? No. So we should always be on guard to some extent. As crappy as that is. Our good neighbor Ted could be the local serial killer. Our uncle Tom could be a pedophile. Be aware. Make sure kids are aware of the potential for danger. Stranger or not.
Sounds like you grew up, and now live, in a big city. It can be pretty good advice there.

Still that kind of stuff can make you excessively paranoid. And we already live in a society that has an illogical, irrational demand for a zero risk life. This is even more stress.

I think the best advice is don't worry about such things - 99% of the people you meet are good. But a cautionary tale about the bad ones is recommended and if you're in a situation with another person where you feel something is wrong, it probably is. Trust your instincts.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
16-06-2012, 09:24 PM
(27-05-2012 10:44 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  we already live in a society that has an illogical, irrational demand for a zero risk life. This is even more stress.

Yeah, that was the whole point of the thread, which was lost on some, unfortunately.
Oh, well...

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
14-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Anyone who thinks that Stranger Danger education has no downside has never seriously contemplated the negative message it conveys about men (for the most part), or been the subject of discrimination based not on real threat or behaviour but an imagined danger based solely on being born male. If they had been treated as a potential sexual predator without cause they might have a different view.
[+] 1 user Likes TheVillageGeek's post
14-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Of all the thousands of threads on this forum you choose this one as your opener?

What exactly did you search for?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
14-10-2014, 07:36 PM
(14-10-2014 07:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Of all the thousands of threads on this forum you choose this one as your opener?

What exactly did you search for?

What I want to know is whether people even bother to look at post dates...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-10-2014, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 09:15 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
*Beats a dead thread*

My mother's version of "Don't talk to strangers" was, "Don't talk to anyone unless they are in the church."

EDIT:
To address Dr Victor 'The Village Geek' Frankenstein though:

I think you make a decent point; though I think the fact that 'stranger danger' often leads to a fear of men is simply because it's rooted in a fear of people, and men tend to be bigger, hairier, scarier people than women on average. I've never seen anyone being told specifically that strange men are the danger, just told that all strangers should be avoided. In fact every time I'd heard it brought up the advice given to children in case they get lost is to 'find a man and a woman who have a baby or small child with them'. Never heard 'find a woman to help you' ever. I think the thing we see with men being accused of being child abductors if they try to help a lost child is more of an instinctive knee-jerk thing than anything else and it rarely causes any actual problems.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
14-10-2014, 09:27 PM
My kids are now 19 and 21 but when they were little I didn't do the stranger danger talk at all. Somewhere I saw statistics on child abduction that was similar to Quidsane's post and I just didn't see the need to terrify my kids over something that was a remote possibility.

I don't have any numbers on child abductions from decades past but I'd bet the rates of abductions hasn't gone up much. News reporting on missing children skyrocketed though.

So much of the news is now devoted to safety and health concerns and frightening everyone to death is the lead-in story, complete with dramatic music to emphasize the dangers of living. And it's on 24 hours a day. I sometimes don't know how people go out the door with all the terror and stranger danger we're told to avoid.

When I was a teenager in the late 1970's and early 80's the news took up maybe an hour and a half out of a day and there were only 3 or 4 stations. We went blithely on with our lives oblivious to stranger danger. And by "we" I include our parents too.

When I was in high school I knew three kids that were killed in car crashes, one classmate died from a brain tumor, another kid was killed in a skiing accident and one of my friends was molested.......by her own father.

I donno. Stranger danger wasn't high on my list of scary things to talk to my kids about. I was more concerned with their crashing on their bicycles with no helmet on.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post