The "Stranger Danger" Myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 09:35 PM
RE: The "Stranger Danger" Myth
(14-10-2014 09:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My kids are now 19 and 21 but when they were little I didn't do the stranger danger talk at all. Somewhere I saw statistics on child abduction that was similar to Quidsane's post and I just didn't see the need to terrify my kids over something that was a remote possibility.

I don't have any numbers on child abductions from decades past but I'd bet the rates of abductions hasn't gone up much. News reporting on missing children skyrocketed though.

So much of the news is now devoted to safety and health concerns and frightening everyone to death is the lead-in story, complete with dramatic music to emphasize the dangers of living. And it's on 24 hours a day. I sometimes don't know how people go out the door with all the terror and stranger danger we're told to avoid.

When I was a teenager in the late 1970's and early 80's the news took up maybe an hour and a half out of a day and there were only 3 or 4 stations. We went blithely on with our lives oblivious to stranger danger. And by "we" I include our parents too.

When I was in high school I knew three kids that were killed in car crashes, one classmate died from a brain tumor, another kid was killed in a skiing accident and one of my friends was molested.......by her own father.

I donno. Stranger danger wasn't high on my list of scary things to talk to my kids about. I was more concerned with their crashing on their bicycles with no helmet on.

What really bothers me in relation to this.. I've seen plenty of middle aged women talking about their children or grandaughters with the exact expression. Oh you can't be safe these days and other statements along the line of it's much more dangerous now... when it's so skewed it's ideas that make me more bothered than any religious belief. The over and inaccurate direction of what and why to fear something is a depressing state of my society.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2014, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 09:54 PM by Anjele.)
(14-10-2014 09:35 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 09:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My kids are now 19 and 21 but when they were little I didn't do the stranger danger talk at all. Somewhere I saw statistics on child abduction that was similar to Quidsane's post and I just didn't see the need to terrify my kids over something that was a remote possibility.

I don't have any numbers on child abductions from decades past but I'd bet the rates of abductions hasn't gone up much. News reporting on missing children skyrocketed though.

So much of the news is now devoted to safety and health concerns and frightening everyone to death is the lead-in story, complete with dramatic music to emphasize the dangers of living. And it's on 24 hours a day. I sometimes don't know how people go out the door with all the terror and stranger danger we're told to avoid.

When I was a teenager in the late 1970's and early 80's the news took up maybe an hour and a half out of a day and there were only 3 or 4 stations. We went blithely on with our lives oblivious to stranger danger. And by "we" I include our parents too.

When I was in high school I knew three kids that were killed in car crashes, one classmate died from a brain tumor, another kid was killed in a skiing accident and one of my friends was molested.......by her own father.

I donno. Stranger danger wasn't high on my list of scary things to talk to my kids about. I was more concerned with their crashing on their bicycles with no helmet on.

What really bothers me in relation to this.. I've seen plenty of middle aged women talking about their children or grandaughters with the exact expression. Oh you can't be safe these days and other statements along the line of it's much more dangerous now... when it's so skewed it's ideas that make me more bothered than any religious belief. The over and inaccurate direction of what and why to fear something is a depressing state of my society.

I also was a teen in the 70s. And dangers like that never occurred to me. Just didn't hear about it. I hitch-hiked and did all sorts of things that I would never want a teenager to do today. Luckily, nothing bad happened.

But as a true crime junkie I am struck by the number of girls (and boys) that went missing during the time that I thought was so safe. It's not that it didn't happen, it's that there wasn't endless media coverage back then.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
14-10-2014, 09:49 PM
(14-10-2014 09:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 09:35 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What really bothers me in relation to this.. I've seen plenty of middle aged women talking about their children or grandaughters with the exact expression. Oh you can't be safe these days and other statements along the line of it's much more dangerous now... when it's so skewed it's ideas that make me more bothered than any religious belief. The over and inaccurate direction of what and why to fear something is a depressing state of my society.

I also was a teen in the 70s. And dangers like that never occurred to me. Just didn't hear about it. I hitch-hiked and did all sorts of things that I would never want a teenager to do today. Luckily, nothing bad happened.

But as a true crime junkie I am struck by the number of girls (and boy) that went missing during the time that I thought was so safe. It's not that it didn't happen, it's that there wasn't endless media coverage back then.

I don't know what the fuck we were thinking. ... We weren't thinking. ... Just got lucky.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-10-2014, 10:10 PM
(14-10-2014 09:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 09:35 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What really bothers me in relation to this.. I've seen plenty of middle aged women talking about their children or grandaughters with the exact expression. Oh you can't be safe these days and other statements along the line of it's much more dangerous now... when it's so skewed it's ideas that make me more bothered than any religious belief. The over and inaccurate direction of what and why to fear something is a depressing state of my society.

But as a true crime junkie I am struck by the number of girls (and boys) that went missing during the time that I thought was so safe. It's not that it didn't happen, it's that there wasn't endless media coverage back then.

Yeah, it happened, kids disappeared. I don't know if the rates of child abduction has risen over the decades though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Fuck you CBS...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2014, 07:20 PM
(14-10-2014 10:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 09:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I also was a teen in the 70s. And dangers like that never occurred to me. Just didn't hear about it. I hitch-hiked and did all sorts of things that I would never want a teenager to do today. Luckily, nothing bad happened.

Yeah, it happened, kids disappeared. I don't know if the rates of child abduction has risen over the decades though.

Everything I've seen on the subject indicates child abduction rates have gone down. I think we "see" it more because we have news in our face everywhere we go, and cases are splashed all over the news. While it's good to get word out to help find these kids, it's also given us more fear, as if predators are lurking around every corner.

Speaking of news outlets fear mongering when it comes to kids, they are now warning parents to be careful in Colorado. They say the marijuana infused candies are indistinguishable from regular candy, and that people will be handing them out to unwitting children. FFS! Like someone is going to waste money on perfectly good pot candy, and then hand it out as a joke to little kids. Give me a break.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
15-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, kids are much more likely to be abused by close friends, teachers, club leaders, coaches and family than strangers. Not sure the breakdown with abductions. It is still a good idea to be wary of strangers.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
15-10-2014, 08:59 PM
(15-10-2014 07:36 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Not sure if this has been mentioned, kids are much more likely to be abused by close friends, teachers, club leaders, coaches and family than strangers. Not sure the breakdown with abductions. It is still a good idea to be wary of strangers.

and statistically speaking, its men that are doing the violating.

I taught my kid to find the 'mom' for help, because (according to Gavin deBecker- FBI profiler and threat assessor) statistically- a mom won't leave a child in need, they will take the steps necessary to get that child to safety. if a child, lost in store, approaches a mom, she will stop her shopping, help the child find a parent, or get the child to store manager. if the child approaches a man (statistically)- the guy will say something along the lines of " i don't know where your mom is, go look over there". they won't stop to ensure the child is safe

i follow the advice of the professional who studies the bad guys, who studies the crimes, looks at the how, why, where, who of this type of crime happens.

it might not be a complete stranger going after your kid, but that doesnt mean it won't be a neighbor, coach, local teen, teacher, family member, someone in your circle that is trusted.

and just to put another stat out there, 1 in 4 girls is sexually assaulted (rape to having their ass grabbed, etc) before age 18. Think of all the females in your life, do the math.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
15-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Anyone wanna get in this owl's van?

I've got candy! Thumbsup
16-10-2014, 04:25 AM
(15-10-2014 10:37 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Anyone wanna get in this owl's van?

I've got candy! Thumbsup

Sounds legit.

[Image: oscar.png]