The "Stranger Danger" Myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 08:21 AM
RE: The "Stranger Danger" Myth
It really depends on where you live. When we were in Houston it was hard to let the kids roam far. The place was so big and we had a couple of attempted abductions in our subdivision. Here we let the kids go all over the place. Parents are in and out the houses all afternoon and I actually know most of my neighbors now. Last night I had 4 kids playing in my front yard, none of them were mine. I do know them all so it was not a big deal and not uncommon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
16-10-2014, 09:21 AM
(16-10-2014 08:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  This is all so sad. When I was a kid, we were allowed to be out alone to play with neighbor kids within view from a window as early as age 4. By the time I was six, we had bikes and were allowed to bike all over the neighborhood, but had to check in every couple hours. When I was ten I went to a school on the other side of town and took the bus and tram there everyday by myself or with other kids. In the summer, we went out to play and had to be home in time for lunch and before dark.

We had freedom. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up being supervised every minute of the day.

We lived in the Sierra Mountains near Tahoe so we were allowed to roam free everywhere. The biggest dangers didn't come from people but from nature. There were mountain lions and bears, rivers and overhanging cliffs. My older two brothers hitchhiked several hundred miles away when they were 12 and 13, sleeping in wheat fields along the way. My parents didn't bat an eye.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-10-2014, 10:56 AM
(16-10-2014 09:21 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 08:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  This is all so sad. When I was a kid, we were allowed to be out alone to play with neighbor kids within view from a window as early as age 4. By the time I was six, we had bikes and were allowed to bike all over the neighborhood, but had to check in every couple hours. When I was ten I went to a school on the other side of town and took the bus and tram there everyday by myself or with other kids. In the summer, we went out to play and had to be home in time for lunch and before dark.

We had freedom. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up being supervised every minute of the day.

We lived in the Sierra Mountains near Tahoe so we were allowed to roam free everywhere. The biggest dangers didn't come from people but from nature. There were mountain lions and bears, rivers and overhanging cliffs. My older two brothers hitchhiked several hundred miles away when they were 12 and 13, sleeping in wheat fields along the way. My parents didn't bat an eye.

I used to disappear in the woods with a PBJ sandwich, water and a weapon for the day when I was in grade school, often by myself. When I got a little older, but still in grade school, I would drive a boat between our house and my grandparents house, including all the swamps between for the day, again often by myself. The big rules was I had to be home before dark.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
17-10-2014, 05:25 AM
I remember reading a study a while back that linked the increase in the "Stranger Danger" moral panic with increased rates of social anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, and a general break down in social skills among youth. I remember anxiety and depression being the two big ones though.

What the hell was the name of that study...goddamnit...

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
17-10-2014, 11:58 AM
I was a free range child around maybe 7? I got the "don't go with strangers" thing, cause its pretty rude not to talk to someone if they're asking you a question. I mostly stuck around with a friend or two and played in a tree fort or something. By 10 I would roam for hours with a friend. I was in significantly greater danger of sustaining injury from explosions or projectiles. We were always messing with fireworks and arrows... Occasionally strapping roman candles to our bike spokes and riding around, hoping not to get hit.

We still don't even lock our doors; We just hope that any intruders will remove their footwear.

Canada...
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
17-10-2014, 12:06 PM
(17-10-2014 11:58 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I was a free range child around maybe 7? I got the "don't go with strangers" thing, cause its pretty rude not to talk to someone if they're asking you a question. I mostly stuck around with a friend or two and played in a tree fort or something. By 10 I would roam for hours with a friend. I was in significantly greater danger of sustaining injury from explosions or projectiles. We were always messing with fireworks and arrows... Occasionally strapping roman candles to our bike spokes and riding around, hoping not to get hit.

We still don't even lock our doors; We just hope that any intruders will remove their footwear.

Canada...

same here, out after breakfast, coming in once the sun had set....usually. Roaming the country side.

My brothers used to play with my fathers gun powder. They had a fondness for filling my Barbie dolls heads with gun powder and a fuse and blowing Barbie parts everywhere.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
17-10-2014, 12:12 PM
The town where I did most of my growing up had a population of around 3,000. And back before Field of Dreams and the toy museum there were no strangers. My hometown wasn't a destination for anyone that didn't already have ties to the area.

If you didn't actually 'know' someone then you knew a family member.

Any stranger that may have wandered in would have been watched like a hawk by the adults - mostly to make sure some non-Catholic didn't hang around too long.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
17-10-2014, 01:19 PM
(17-10-2014 05:25 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I remember reading a study a while back that linked the increase in the "Stranger Danger" moral panic with increased rates of social anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, and a general break down in social skills among youth. I remember anxiety and depression being the two big ones though.

I remember reading that study too but can't think of where I read it. But even before I read about all the anxiety that comes with stranger danger warnings I didn't say much to my kids. I did tell them a couple times to never get in the car with a stranger but I didn't keep stressing the point. I wanted them to enjoy childhood.

The helicopter parenting that goes on these days is, I think, detrimental to kids development. It really messes with their minds and makes them think they can't do anything by themselves.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-10-2014, 02:15 PM
(17-10-2014 01:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 05:25 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I remember reading a study a while back that linked the increase in the "Stranger Danger" moral panic with increased rates of social anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, and a general break down in social skills among youth. I remember anxiety and depression being the two big ones though.

I remember reading that study too but can't think of where I read it. But even before I read about all the anxiety that comes with stranger danger warnings I didn't say much to my kids. I did tell them a couple times to never get in the car with a stranger but I didn't keep stressing the point. I wanted them to enjoy childhood.

The helicopter parenting that goes on these days is, I think, detrimental to kids development. It really messes with their minds and makes them think they can't do anything by themselves.

There's a middle ground between "try to come back alive at the end of the day" and helicopter parenting, though.

It is possible to overvalue physical safety, in that people certainly need to experience freedom and mistakes and even danger to give balance to their character, but life today is safer, and it is a very hard sell to advocate otherwise.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
17-10-2014, 03:26 PM
I like my strangers a little bit dangerous.

[Image: giphy.gif]