The Stupid of Wearing Helmets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2016, 02:21 PM
The Stupid of Wearing Helmets
Let's assume that wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is safer than not wearing one.

Does this make the helmet wearer "smarter" than the guy who doesn't wear one?

Answer. - no.

Why?

Because wearing a helmet makes it safer, but not safe.

Even wearing a helmet, you are still 26 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car...(you have Google - look it up your own damned self).

Saying you're "safer" with a helmet is as self misleading as saying you're safer smoking filtered cigarettes rather than non filtered....

Or - playing Russian roulette is safer with one bullet instead of two......

So if getting a thrill and risking your life is the object - isn't wearing a helmet like taking a shower in a raincoat?

Or - are you purposely misleading yourself into thinking motorcycles are a safe hobby???

I've got 35 years of riding that says otherwise.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2016, 02:30 PM
RE: The Stupid of Wearing Helmets
No choice over here, wearing a helmet is mandatory. I only fell off once and my helmet never touched the ground. I skint my knee. What really pissed me off was the fact that I ripped the only decent pair of jeans I had at that time.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
25-09-2016, 02:58 PM
I knew someone who died while taking an impromptu motorcycle test ride around the block. He didn't have a helmet with him, but I guess he figured he was just going to be on residential streets. I don't know the details of the accident, but he hit his head on the curb and died while in a coma a few days later.

I'd say wearing a helmet is wiser than not, but to each his own.
[+] 9 users Like Aliza's post
25-09-2016, 02:59 PM
NOT wearing a helmet is stupid. The fine is too much and it's far too easy for the cops to see if you're wearing one or not. (I'm in the same boat as Marozz...DOT approved helmets are mandatory).

For me, not wearing a helmet means not riding. Nothing else to discuss.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 9 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-09-2016, 03:03 PM
(25-09-2016 02:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's assume that wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is safer than not wearing one.

Answer. - no.

Why?

Even wearing a helmet, you are still 26 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car...(you have Google - look it up your own damned self).

Saying you're "safer" with a helmet is as self misleading as saying you're safer smoking filtered cigarettes rather than non filtered....

So if getting a thrill and risking your life is the object - isn't wearing a helmet like taking a shower in a raincoat?

Or - are you purposely misleading yourself into thinking motorcycles are a safe hobby???

Stupid is as stupid does. Like anti-lock brakes, air-bags etc a false sense of safety is easy for some to develop.

My training and experience taught me to assume the worst can happen and be prepared at all times. Plan ahead, think ahead, look ahead.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
25-09-2016, 03:04 PM
(25-09-2016 02:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I knew someone who died while taking an impromptu motorcycle test ride around the block. He didn't have a helmet with him, but I guess he figured he was just going to be on residential streets. I don't know the details of the accident, but he hit his head on the curb and died while in a coma a few days later.

I'd say wearing a helmet is wiser than not, but to each his own.

Wise isn't subject to quantifiable degrees. It's an either/or state.

Interestingly enough - dumb - isn't.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-09-2016, 03:05 PM
(25-09-2016 03:03 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(25-09-2016 02:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Let's assume that wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is safer than not wearing one.

Answer. - no.

Why?

Stupid is as stupid does. Like anti-lock brakes, air-bags etc a false sense of safety is easy for some to develop.

My training and experience taught me to assume the worst can happen and be prepared at all times. Plan ahead, think ahead, look ahead.

Agree....

A "safe" motorcycle is a garaged one......

25-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Blink

If you don't want your skull to be more protected than it would be otherwise, alrighty then.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
25-09-2016, 03:06 PM
(25-09-2016 02:59 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  NOT wearing a helmet is stupid. The fine is too much and it's far too easy for the cops to see if you're wearing one or not. (I'm in the same boat as Marozz...DOT approved helmets are mandatory).

For me, not wearing a helmet means not riding. Nothing else to discuss.

In my area, helmets are optional. I think it's unwise to ride without one, but I see it all the time. I guess I'm used to it. Glad to hear you won't ride without one. If you tap your head the wrong way on the pavement, it's lights out.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
25-09-2016, 03:09 PM
(25-09-2016 03:05 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Blink

If you don't want your skull to be more protected than it would be otherwise, alrighty then.

If you truly wish your skull safe - take a bus.......

The helmet is just an excuse to partake in a very dangerous activity....